Computer Repair n Tips

Tools    

Hmmm... okay. This just started last week and as far as I know, no new programs have been installed (I'm not the only one who uses this pc)... so I'll check to be sure and check for a virus or worm... oh, and I'm running XP ... thanks alot...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Get off my island
How can I get rid of the spyware on my system

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Revenge of Mr M
How can I get rid of the spyware on my system
Easy, use a spyware removal program. Click here to download. It's free and it's very good. It's called Spybot.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Bumpity - Bump… got a question from the PC dummy again…

I ran Spybot on one of the pc's I work on and after I rebooted, I had two error messages pop up…

1) WJVIEW Error - Could not execute Main: The system cannot find the file specified.

2) RUNDLL - Error loading C:\Windows\System32\bridge.dll.
The specified module could not be found.

I tried to check both out on the net but got conflicting explanations as to what they are. Any help would be most appreciated…

Hey Caits:
Well the Wjview is related to a Java based application so you may try to reinstall your java V.M. or update it. If you dont have it on disk you can get V.M here~http://java.sun.com/downloads/index.html

For the .dll error you may try this:
Click Start> Run> type msconfig> go to Startup tab in System Configuration utility> click disable all> check only the boxes which mention your Anti-Virus software> click on Services tab to the left of Startup tab> click Hide all Microsoft services> click disable all> in the box in the middle, check only those boxes which are related to your Anti-Virus software> click Ok> click Exit w/o restarting> download CWShredder (http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat...10-17-150.shtml)> save it to your desktop; close all browser windows> run CWShredder> click Fix> click Ok> continue with it> restart comp> hopefully you will not get the 'bridge.dll' error msg

This is all applicable if you are running XP if not let me know what you are running and will see what I can do to help. You probably have spyware or viruses or both. Let me know if this helps.

Bumpity - bump (again)...

I'm in the market for a new pc but have gotten really confused about what to buy... and would really appreciate some help/recommendations…

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Bumpity - bump (again)...

I'm in the market for a new pc but have gotten really confused about what to buy... and would really appreciate some help/recommendations…
The first suggestion would be to buy from a local dealer. One that has a good reputation and has been around at least a couple of years. Try to avoid the Gateways, Compaqs, Emachines. I work on these machines everyday and it is almost always a major part that has gone bad. If you do go with a propietarty machine then I would choose a Dell. I am in no means saying buy a Dell, custom is always better, but if you do see a good deal on one and must go with a name brand machine then Dell is the lesser of all the evils out there. Take in mind however that no matter who you go with, if it is not a local company you will have a rough time with customer service if you ever need it. My suggestion would be to let me know what specifications you are looking for and your price range and I would be happy to reccomend parts that a local store can order for you. I always use parts with the best warranties from the manufacturer so if your dealer ever falters for some reason you do have a backup with the original maker. The main thing is trust, you have to trust whoever you are buying from be it Dell or Cajun Joe's tech Depot ( ). PM me or just post here your budget and needs and I would be happy to give you many ideas to choose from. Good luck.

**Edit** To those of you out there who swear by their Gateways, Compaqs, etc... then more power to you, keep in mind the model you have and suggest it to others, because although there are a some models that outdo others for the most part if it were not because of these companies the repair side of my buisness would be poor.

Wheely cool bike girl
Originally Posted by 7thson
To those of you out there who swear by their Gateways, Compaqs, etc... then more power to you, keep in mind the model you have and suggest it to others, because although there are a some models that outdo others for the most part if it were not because of these companies the repair side of my buisness would be poor.
Well, I swear by my Toshiba laptop. My first, a Satellite 4060CDT, is still going strong however, with a puny 4gig HDD, running Windows 98, max memory at 196MB and video/sound cards that cant be upgraded, I bought another Satellite A29 w/256MB. Now it isn't a power house or anything but Toshiba seems to build a decent machine that rarely needs service. Only once did I send the old one off for repair and I got excellent - fast service. I live by my laptop cause it is so compact, has everything I need and now, with external USB harddrives of any size one needs, my vote goes to purchasing a laptop, and Toshiba being my favorite.
I used to be in the PC building biz, made many custom builds and this is my personal choice.
So, here is my suggestion to Cait.

Originally Posted by coolbreeze
Well, I swear by my Toshiba laptop.
Actually Toshiba & Dell make excellent laptops, my suggestions were based on Desktops. So yeah Toshiba wouldbe great choice IMO for a laptop.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I built my own about 6 months ago which ended up costing me about Ł100 (once I'd cannibalised the non-functioning PC for DVD drives, Hard Drives, monitor, processor etc).

Being Irish, of course, I did this after buying a brand new PC for the living room so Frankencomp is sitting proudly in the wardrobe. Still, I've got the confidence now to not worry about totally replacing my system for a long long time.

The brand new one was a pretty good deal though: 1024 RAM, 250 GIG HD, 3.2 wotzit P4, 256MB GeForce thingie, card reader, loads of ports which I might use one day. It says on the case that it's a Fuzitsu Siemens, which sounds a bit rude, and cost Ł600.

The keyboard and mouse are stil in the box and I swapped the DVD RW from the crappy Philips thing which seems to end up in far too many PCs. It's also got fantastic glowing blue holes in the front which look mega groovy.

People who know about such things may well tell me that this model is a pile of junk but I care not a jot.

It's got these glowing blue holes, you see...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
It's got these glowing blue holes, you see...
It is good to have priorities; if only all I had to do was put glowing blue holes on the computers I built to sell them.

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
what do you tech wizards know about mp3 players, cause ive just about had enough of mine - its driving me crazy
Whats the problem with it?

It is good to have priorities; if only all I had to do was put glowing blue holes on the computers I built to sell them.
My glowing blue hole has been to talk of the town, let me tell you...

Anyway, a serious question: My mouse is nearing it's end so need a new one. It's a Logitech MX1000 and was thinking of a straight swap for another as the only problem I've had was through dropping it on a wooden floor (the right button is a bit dodgy now).

I was thinking of the latest Microsoft laser mouse, have you had any experience of it?

Originally Posted by Tacitus
My glowing blue hole has been to talk of the town, let me tell you...

Anyway, a serious question: My mouse is nearing it's end so need a new one. It's a Logitech MX1000 and was thinking of a straight swap for another as the only problem I've had was through dropping it on a wooden floor (the right button is a bit dodgy now).

I was thinking of the latest Microsoft laser mouse, have you had any experience of it?
I really hate Microsoft hardware with two exceptions: their keyboards and mice. They are very good products from what I have seen. I have both a microsoft keyboard and mouse myself and they work great.

I really hate Microsoft hardware with two exceptions: their keyboards and mice. They are very good products from what I have seen. I have both a microsoft keyboard and mouse myself and they work great.
I've just swapped keyboards from Microsoft to Logitech and it's taking some getting used to. The Microsofts tend to be bulkier and noisier but have a great 'feel'. I'm pigheaded so am gonna make myself like the new one though, but it definately doesn't feel as nice on my lap...

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Whats the problem with it?
it will only let me put on certain file types, the songs that i want on there are music files but its just not lettting me put them on there. is there any way i can change my file types?