A letter to my father

Tools    

My father passed away this past week and I hope no one minds that I post this letter here to share. He was a wonderful man and I miss him alot already.

To my Father

The last year was very tough on you and the family, but through it all we became closer than we have ever been. I am glad we had those talks late at night about everything from Politics to Star Trek. I can remember feeling homesick the first year I moved away to join the Army, and one thing that I missed the most was sitting in front of the TV with you watching Star Trek or Kung fu, or one of your favorite westerns. You never did seem to like going out to dinner or movies, but you sure did enjoy watching the TV at night when everything settled down. I can remember the trips across country we made in old cars that were on their last leg, but somehow you coxed them into getting us from point A to point B. The best was the station wagon you bought for $200 that overheated somewhere in the mountains in Colorado. You pulled over to the side of the road lifted the hood, said “Damn!!” Then you shrugged your shoulders and started packing snow around the radiator. Well we got to the next town where you bought a hose and worked your magic. I am sorry you left us before you were ready; lord knows I was not ready for you to go. You and Mom always took in strays be they people or animal and I want to thank you for the kindness you passed along to me and the rest of us. We were never rich, but we did okay I think. I cannot remember missing a dinner or not being able to go out once in awhile. Your hard work is much appreciated. You have passed along a torch that is strong with love, courage and a vision to succeed. The flame is in good hands Dad, I promise to do my best to make you proud. Goodbye Father, you will missed so very much by all of us. Oh yeah save me a seat in front of the big screen I know they have up there in Heaven so we can catch up on the Star Trek episodes we have missed.

Love,

Dionne

I'm sorry man.

I lost my mother to cancer a month before the towers fell, I know how you feel. If you ever feel the need to talk, send me a PM and we can chat on AIM or something.

Brian
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I’m sorry about your loss… your Father sounds like he was a character… one who would have been a lot of fun to know…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Lets put a smile on that block
Thats a very sweet letter 7thson. thanx for sharing it with us. Im so sorry about your loss and i hope you can deal with it ok.

Put me in your pocket...
Thank you for sharing your letter with us...it's beautiful. I know it's a difficult time for you. My husband lost his mother this past August...and lost his father two years ago. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Happy Fathers Day Dad, this is the first one I have ever spent without you. We all miss you alot and know you are still here with us. You have sure left this world with alot more smiles than it would have been without you.

My life isn't written very well.
Sometimes I write things on this forum and the words just don't do justice to how I'm really feeling. So let me just say this 7thson; that was very moving to me. How lucky is the human race to have you among us? Your feelings permeate the confines of a flat screen computer display and touch us profoundly. Your level of sensitivity is a lesson we all should learn from and demonstrate throughout our lives. I'm very sorry that this Father's Day, for you, will be shared without your dad. But, and if you'll permit me to say, He is not so far away that you cannot talk to him today, and he will not hear you. Perhaps his voice is real in your mind, and you can listen to it without doubt. Happy Father's Day to 7thson's dad.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I have read this thread before but never made a comment, I think it is because, of how your letter, to your Dad made me miss mine, Thats ok, he passed away 6 years ago. I know how it is to loose a great Dad, I hope you weren't too sad on fathers day.

Originally Posted by nebbit
I have read this thread before but never made a comment, I think it is because, of how your letter, to your Dad made me miss mine, Thats ok, he passed away 6 years ago. I know how it is to loose a great Dad, I hope you weren't too sad on fathers day.
sorry to hear about yours too...even if it is 6 years ago...

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
I missed this thread when 7thson first posted. After reading the letter and all the comments, I feel the need to share, as well.

I understand completely the need for 7thson to share that letter with us all. By sharing the letter, he has shared his father, but he also touched each of us who have lost loved ones, as well.

My mother passed away when I was 19 years old, my father when I was 27, and my best friend four years ago. My best friend, who was 36 at the time, was the hardest for me to accept. Like 7thson, I wanted to share everything about him with everyone I came in contact with. I was lucky enough to be asked to give a eulogy from a friend's perspective at his funeral, but the thing that helped me the most was creating a 45 minute tribute video from tapes we had made over the previous ten years. I spent 6 months editing, adding titles, sound effects, and music to stupid skits we had filmed on days we had access to a camera (this was before everyone had a digicam). I've made about 10 copies for close friends and family, and they often tell me, "We showed the video to so-and-so the other night. They thought it was hilarious!" It's these moments that give me comfort. Knowing I have shared a part of my friend's personality with others.

Thanks, 7thson.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I actually had a nice Fathers Day. I started on building a gold fish pond in my back yard. My Father always said he was gonna build one. Overall things are going good and I cant complain. All of the kind words and sharing makes it a lot easier.

I am not sad, other than my buddy will be missed - he lived a good ol' long time for a dog, but my friend had a stroke and I was going to take him to the Vet' today. When I went to his bed to pick him up and carry him to the car I could not find him. I found him later, in the goldfish pond I built for my Dad. He was gone, As I buried him in our backyard I smiled. He is in good hands, Yep.