The MoFo Support Group

Tools    

Oh yeah, just tried to give some advice, seemed a little harsh though. I am doing Okay.
I didn't think it was too harsh...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

What did you say, Filmfreak?
I can't remember, just one of my existential rants.

...uh the post is up there...

Time for a cynical perspective. I realize most people on these forums find themselves contending with personal conflicts not unseen by most of the general population. Up until about middle school I would categorize myself as most do, miserable and wanting more; money, girls, admiration. I discovered early, what takes most a lifetime to understand, that whatever you chase, be it material or emotional, it's never tangible. We are not unlike Columbus, who discovered that the horizon went on where it was believed to simply end. Happiness is a path without a destination, it's a struggle without conclusion, a valley absent of peaks. Isolation and solitude are all we will ever have, when it is said and done, it is that, that we share.

This is what I said. I am saying that no one is ever truly "happy" and that the struggle towards ideals which ultimately don't pay off is pointless. In other words, don't become consumed by it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, we share isolation, solitude, and sharing. Columbus didn't discover the Earth was round. The Vikings were going from Europe to North America hundreds of years before him, and some will say that other ancient civilizations did the same. However, if this helps you to consider the fact that there are loving people hanging around, good! On the other hand, based on your post, I must have just freaked you out. Just don't concern yourself with money, girls or admiration, unless that's what you believe in. If enough people learn and accept what you believe in, they will certainly believe in you, including the girls. Then again, if they don't...

Well, we share isolation, solitude, and sharing. Columbus didn't discover the Earth was round. The Vikings were going from Europe to North America hundreds of years before him, and some will say that other ancient civilizations did the same. However, if this helps you to consider the fact that there are loving people hanging around, good! On the other hand, based on your post, I must have just freaked you out. Just don't concern yourself with money, girls or admiration, unless that's what you believe in. If enough people learn and accept what you believe in, they will certainly believe in you, including the girls. Then again, if they don't...

Exactly my point, I use to be like others and was like a rat in a maze, but my attitude is fairly free of these diversions.

Registered Creature
I think I'd feel too awkward sharing my deepest, darkest secrets on here. Heh. (Not that mine are all that terrible compared to other people's problems, maybe I'm just too shy?)

Like, what if one of my family members come on here and read what I wrote. That wouldn't do me any help.

This is what I said. I am saying that no one is ever truly "happy" and that the struggle towards ideals which ultimately don't pay off is pointless. In other words, don't become consumed by it.
You know i am very very happy 99% of the time i think that is pretty good

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
Time for a cynical perspective. I realize most people on these forums find themselves contending with personal conflicts not unseen by most of the general population. Up until about middle school I would categorize myself as most do, miserable and wanting more; money, girls, admiration. I discovered early, what takes most a lifetime to understand, that whatever you chase, be it material or emotional, it's never tangible. We are not unlike Columbus, who discovered that the horizon went on where it was believed to simply end. Happiness is a path without a destination, it's a struggle without conclusion, a valley absent of peaks. Isolation and solitude are all we will ever have, when it is said and done, it is that, that we share.
Someone needs a hug and a girlfriend

this thread turned... philosophical.
Aye, it sure did.

I half-agree with what FF is saying. On one hand, I think the observation that people are chasing a constantly-moving definition of happiness is a very good one. At the same time, I think it's necessary to be always striving for something. I once read that the three things every person needs to be happy are something to do, someone to love, and something to look forward to, and in my admittedly short experience in life, that's certainly held true.

But still, I'm a big believer in the idea that the next thing you want is almost never the thing that finally makes you happy. Excluding truly extreme circumstances, I think we all make the choice to simply be contented with what we have, or not.

Naturally, Socrates beat us all to the punch: "He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have."

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Aye, it sure did.

I half-agree with what FF is saying. On one hand, I think the observation that people are chasing a constantly-moving definition of happiness is a very good one. At the same time, I think it's necessary to be always striving for something. I once read that the three things every person needs to be happy are something to do, someone to love, and something to look forward to, and in my admittedly short experience in life, that's certainly held true.

But still, I'm a big believer in the idea that the next thing you want is almost never the thing that finally makes you happy. Excluding truly extreme circumstances, I think we all make the choice to simply be contented with what we have, or not.

Naturally, Socrates beat us all to the punch: "He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have."
that was really well said, Yoda. i think its kind of ironic when you think about it, that the secret to happiness is virtually nothing and everything. maybe that's why rich people have the stereotype of being unhappy and unfufilled.

when i get up to go to work in the morning i'm miserable because i'm not a morning person. but once i wake up, i feel much better than if i had stayed in bed all day.

A PHD in Whiskey and Stonerology
I honestly think the secret to happiness lies in doing. I'm far, far happier when I'm working out or climbing or skateboarding or something as opposed to when I'm sitting around studying or just being a lump. I've realized that I could never have an office job--I'd die of boredom and a feeling of lost time/opportunity. My idea of a good life is one lived mostly with friends and family, and one filled with physical activity. I can honestly say that I think at this point in my life that as long as I remain unmarried/unkidded I'd be quite happy with moderate income.... I'd be spending all my free time climbing or dirt biking anyway. Of course that's all subject to change, but I doubt my main idea will ever change. Happiness comes from the things you get out and do.

Welcome to the human race...
Really? I'm doing nothing right now. Not really doing wonders for me...

...then again it's 3am and I know I'm just delaying something inevitable. No, nothing important enough to mention here, just my usual avoidance of university commitments (in this case, studying for a literature exam tomorrow evening). I'm just stupid like that.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Really? I'm doing nothing right now. Not really doing wonders for me...

...then again it's 3am and I know I'm just delaying something inevitable. No, nothing important enough to mention here, just my usual avoidance of university commitments (in this case, studying for a literature exam tomorrow evening). I'm just stupid like that.
well, being on here at 3am when you're supposed to be doing something else isn't exactly what i meant. i'm really only ever able to enjoy 'down time' when i don't have any pressing issues that need to be taken care of.

Then again, its the best time, theoretically for me to go travelling. I have a great friend to go with, my lease on my apartment is up and i have two friends to fill my space whilst i go so when i come back i can move straight in again. Really, my main worry is losing a job that i love, never being able to find another one. Which is rubbish i guess. I sound like ive kind of convinced myself in writing this, (and maybe i have, maybe thats what i needed) but i think i should go. But im still worried it could be the wrong choice. Wadda you guys think?
If you are asking opinions then I'd say just GO! Travelling will be the best time ever. You'll meet people and see things you can only dream about.

My son was in a similar position to you - in a job, a good job that he loved, but having not been to uni and worked since he was 18 he felt he'd done 6 years work when most of his mates hadn't even got a job from uni yet, so he left and travelled around China and all the ex-Russian states and had the time of his life. and guess what ? when he came back his old company took him back and promoted him too so he's back doing what he loves!

So don't let things hold you back Blibby, I can look back over 50 years now and much as I have loved my life so far, there's things I should've done when I was younger like more travelling. Things that just aren't the same when you're older, wiser and with more to lose

good luck!