Pets

Tools    

Some very nice pets talked about and shown on this thread.
Here are my current ones.

"Peetie"

Richard Gere, looking for my MIA hamster, Wiggles.

"Bridgett"

Resurrecting an old thread here, sorry, but I felt like showing off my babies.

I have two cats, two rats, five adult Oriental firebelly toads, four juvenile Oriental firebelly toads (though I'm not keeping the juveniles. They'll go to a new home once they're big enough) and one betta fish.

My cat Dunlop:

My cat Tiny Tim:

My rats Goobers (mostly white with gray head) and Dots (gray with white spot on head):

My Oriental Firebelly Toads (Ernie, Esmerelda, Jade, Marvin and Peridot):

A close up of Ernie:

One of the toadlets:

Indy, my betta:

They are beautiful but they jump and things that jump scare me even if they are not harmful

We have huge, ugly, poisonous imported cane toads here that are killing our wildlife

I have two cats, two rats, five adult Oriental firebelly toads, four juvenile Oriental firebelly toads (though I'm not keeping the juveniles. They'll go to a new home once they're big enough) and one betta fish.

Cute family... even the rats... How'd you end up with them? And do the cats give you fits about them?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Cute family... even the rats... How'd you end up with them? And do the cats give you fits about them?
I've always thought rats were cute and when I was a kid I knew a few people who had them. I always wanted one growing up, but wasn't allowed to get one. So shortly after I got my first job, I got my first rat (without permission from my parents, who were less than thrilled about it), which I named Templeton.

Rats are actually wonderful pets. They're intelligent, affectionate and much more clean than you might think (provided, of course, that you keep up with regular cage cleanings). Just like other domesticated animals, they come in a pretty wide variety of coat colors and other variations. There are hairless rats, rex rats (with curly fur and whiskers), dumbo rats (with large, low-set ears, like my boys), Siamese rats (marked like a Siamese cat), and an endless list of color patterns like hooded, capped, berkshire, self, etc. There are even rat shows, where breeders show off their best rats for ribbons and other prizes.

My current two are numbers 19 and 20. I don't think I could ever see myself without at least one rat in my life. However, there are times that I wish I never got into keeping rats. They have a lot of health problems and the average life expectancy is only 2-3 years - just long enough to get really attached.

But, no matter the heartache, I just can't say no to a face like this:

As for the cats, they're not allowed in the room where the rats are kept even though I doubt my cats would actually do anything unless one of the rats got out or the cage door was open. My cats do not hunt even though they are allowed to go outdoors. Also, my cats seem to have more interest in sleeping on the bed in that room than in the contents of the cages. However, Goobers and Dots are terrified of the cats and I don't want them getting stressed out. Some of the rats I've had in the past though could probably hold their own in a fight with the cats.

In the Beginning...
Rats are actually wonderful pets. They're intelligent, affectionate and much more clean than you might think (provided, of course, that you keep up with regular cage cleanings). Just like other domesticated animals, they come in a pretty wide variety of coat colors and other variations. There are hairless rats, rex rats (with curly fur and whiskers), dumbo rats (with large, low-set ears, like my boys), Siamese rats (marked like a Siamese cat), and an endless list of color patterns like hooded, capped, berkshire, self, etc. There are even rat shows, where breeders show off their best rats for ribbons and other prizes.
Yep, I agree. I've had probably seven or eight rats (ended up with a litter) in the last ten years or so, and they've been some of my best pets. They're sweet, clean, and they aren't as anxious as other rodents or rabbits. My favorite was named Bob, and although he looked like a mangy sewer rat, he was a sweetheart.

The People's Republic of Clogher
We had a hamster for a while and it was a great little thing, which our eldest doted on so much that when it died she went into full scale mourning.

I, of course, did the decent thing and went to the pet shop to get a replacement but they had run out so ended up with a gerbil. Bad move.

Besides our eldest hating its tiny guts he was a randy little devil with a pair of swingers which, if they were in proportion to a human, were the size of medicine balls. He went back to the store.

I'd love a 3rd Jack Russell (was offered a Collie pup a few weeks ago but declined) but suspect they're just too mad for me in my present state of disrepair.

The Boston Terrier shares an ancestor with the Jack Russell, I've just read, so they could be right up my street. If they're a bit calmer I might seriously look into getting one.

I've been too long without a dog.

Besides our eldest hating its tiny guts he was a randy little devil with a pair of swingers which, if they were in proportion to a human, were the size of medicine balls. He went back to the store.
Yeah, male rodents tend to be rather... well endowed. Rats are no different which is why many people prefer females. I, however, like the boys much better. I've solved the unsightly genitalia issue by neutering them - which has the added benefit of making them able to have "play dates" with a pair of females that belongs to one of my coworkers.

update picture of Boris at the beach he is all grown up now

Tatty even though he is half Jack Russell people comment about how calm he is so I am lucky
What's the other half? Judging by his name and choice of plaything (and the fact that he's a bit ginger) I'm guessing it's Boris 'Boom Boom Broom ... ermm ... cupboard' Becker!

Our first Jack Russell had an on/off switch (not literally, that would be silly ). She could spend days lounging in front of the fire then suddenly go into attack mode and chase off invading German Shepherds or milkmen.

I think that's why I like Jack Russells - they're kinda like Al Pacino in that they're only little but they make one hell of a noise.

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
I've solved the unsightly genitalia issue by neutering them
A bit drastic, ain't it? I'll never look at Werther's Originals in quite the same way...

A bit drastic, ain't it? I'll never look at Werther's Originals in quite the same way...
Nah, I don't think so. There are benefits to neutering for both them and me. Besides the fact that it allows them to interact with their "girlfriends," studies have shown that neutered rats live longer (though these two are the first I've done it with, so we'll see) - which is a very good thing for them, considering the short average lifespan of a rat. Castration also seems to have stopped them from leaving the little droplets of urine everywhere like intact males tend to do - which is a very good thing for me.