Are YOU Frugal?

Tools    

Which one, Rules? (Looking back you had more than a few.)
The storage locker thing.

I’m semi-frugal.

Best thing to do is find the things you can’t live without and work backwards. For me, eating out is a big part of my budget because I like the social interactions.

And my guitar lessons are a new can’t live without item. At least for the foreseeable future.
I've seen your post about all the stuff you buy, you're cool but you spend like Mr Howell

You ready? You look ready.
I've seen your post about all the stuff you buy, you're cool but you spend like Mr Howell
All the stuff I buy? Besides, I said semi-frugal

And you don’t see all the things I return

Another great piece of advice; don’t be embarrassed to return something you bought yesterday.

...And you don’t see all the things I return
Another great piece of advice; don’t be embarrassed to return something you bought yesterday.
I'm with there! I've gotten $$$ money back by returning everything I don't need, even little crap. I figure if I ain't going to use it, it don't or I don't like it, send it back!

The storage locker thing.
Yeah... no. It's a long story. I've looked into a smaller one, but the place I deal with said there are none available.

Plus, I have basically a small house or apartment-worth's of stuff I do not wish to part with so it might not all fit in a smaller unit (nor would I know how to part with things too big to sell on ebay - that are buried under things too heavy to move or that I can't sell at yard sales). I contemplate having my own place again one day and I'd have some necessities to start with rather than having to buy all new stuff.

It is a drain, I know. Which is just one reason I seek to save money in other areas.

Speaking of yard sales - did one at a neighbor's this past weekend - the weather was perfect (for a change - almost every yard sale I've done comes with rain or wind that blows most my items half way down the street!)

Friday was a bust - made 2 dollars!
But Saturday was good - made 94 dollars!!!
...which pays for about 1 week of my storage unit...

Definitely wouldn’t describe myself as frugal. Spent a tremendous amount of money during the decade I lived in Manhattan, but my life is much quieter in Connecticut. If I need something such as my tv needing replacement last month I just buy it from Amazon. If it fits the bill, I pay whatever it is.

I have an iPad upstairs & downstairs, which is rather luxurious.

Don’t need clothes. Skincare is Clinique, but, otherwise, very basic items I share with husband.

I go in & out of the streaming services. When I’m done with any site’s offerings I opt out of my subscription until next time.

I'm still the king of frugal! I posted this almost 4 years ago on this very thread...let's see how things have changed? Or stayed the same!

I'm the most frugal person around! I dare anybody to prove otherwise
Let's see I:
don't have any TV service
don't own a smart phone
don't buy movies
don't eat in restaurants
don't smoke
don't drink expensive wine or liquor (no wine or hard liquor actually), don't buy meat
don't go to Starbucks anymore
don't go to the theater
don't have movie services (except $8 a month Netflix) no longer have that
only have one car that's paid for
make my own food
never spend money on tech items

Why, cause I don't have any money to blow
And I still don't have any money to blow!

Duplicate Account (locked)
If i weren't frugal, i would be wading in garbage 24/7, so its kinda a must unless you were born 100 years ago.

Money saving tips...uh, f*ck real estate? Is that legit enough?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Bumping this thread now that we are in another bout of nationwide, runaway inflation.

I'm always looking for new tips or creative ideas on how to save money!

Also welcome are any tips on conservation, reducing, recycling, reusing and repurposing!

I recently noticed that one of the ways that I save money on unnecessary items is by being indecisive. When Hubby and I go shopping, and I find a few things that I want to buy, I try to save money by narrowing it down to only one or two things.

But the problem for me is that I usually can't decide on only one or two items, so I usually just give up and decide to buy nothing.

I’m semi-frugal.

Best thing to do is find the things you can’t live without and work backwards. For me, eating out is a big part of my budget because I like the social interactions.

The pandemic helped us to stop spending money on eating out. Hubby and I stopped eating out when the pandemic started, and we just haven't started going back to restaurants yet. We haven't even gotten any take-out since the start of the pandemic.

Speaking of yard sales - did one at a neighbor's this past weekend - the weather was perfect (for a change - almost every yard sale I've done comes with rain or wind that blows most my items half way down the street!)

Friday was a bust - made 2 dollars!
But Saturday was good - made 94 dollars!!!
...which pays for about 1 week of my storage unit...

Friday yard sales are usually very slow, but I'm surprised that you didn't make more money on a Saturday. My co-op had a community yard sale a few months ago. I wasn't able to sell on Saturday, but I set up a few tables of stuff on Sunday, (which I was told by my neighbors was very slow compared to Saturday), and I made about $300.

Yard sales have been going later than normal this year. Hubby and I went to a community yard sale this weekend that had over 150 houses participating. We bought a lot of stuff, (including more than 50 DVDs), but everything was cheap.

But the problem for me is that I usually can't decide on only one or two items, so I usually just give up and decide to buy nothing.
See, I’m the opposite. I would have bought everything.

We bought a lot of stuff, (including more than 50 DVDs), but everything was cheap.
Where ya gonna put those DVDs gbg?

The pandemic helped us to stop spending money on eating out. Hubby and I stopped eating out when the pandemic started, and we just haven't started going back to restaurants yet. We haven't even gotten any take-out since the start of the pandemic.
Yeah, I saved quite a bit of money those first few months of the lockdown, but after getting vaccinated I started eating like before. I just decided this weekend that I am going to stop eating out and put that money towards savings for a house purchase. I'd say in about 10 years I'll have enough
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Yeah, I saved quite a bit of money those first few months of the lockdown, but after getting vaccinated I started eating like before. I just decided this weekend that I am going to stop eating out and put that money towards savings for a house purchase. I'd say in about 10 years I'll have enough
Why not start with a condo? Smaller down payment.

Why not start with a condo? Smaller down payment.
We don't really have condos here except down near the lake, which means they are all horribly overpriced.

And I have an 80 lb dog.

My first home is probably going to be a manufactured one the way things are looking. Give me a single wide out in the country and I will be happy AF, tho.

Or something like this...

We don't really have condos here except down near the lake, which means they are all horribly overpriced.

And I have an 80 lb dog.

My first home is probably going to be a manufactured one the way things are looking. Give me a single wide out in the country and I will be happy AF, tho.
The place in your link reminds me a bit of the house I rented for 10 years - but mine was a bit smaller and not as nice. (I called it a shoe box due to it's shape - it had only 5 rooms including kitchen & bath - it was what some might call a bungalow.) It had a big back yard though.

I miss that place. The house no longer exists as my landlords kicked me out so they could build a mini-Mcmansion on the lot for their daughter.

Not bad at all for the price. Good buy if you have fixer-upper skills. Oof, love how the hardwood floors are wrecked. (Very fixable though.)

We bought a lot of stuff, (including more than 50 DVDs), but everything was cheap.
Where ya gonna put those DVDs gbg?

Right now they're just in boxes in the corner, but Hubby and I are planning to rearrange the furniture to make room for another bookcase for DVDs.

The hoarding has begun again at supermarkets.
This time it's not so much panic over the pandemic as panic over the inflation and supply chain disaster.

Are you "stocking up" on anything?

The hoarding has begun again at supermarkets.
This time it's not so much panic over the pandemic as panic over the inflation and supply chain disaster.

Are you "stocking up" on anything?
OH...MY...GOD! what timing Captain! I was planning on going to the grocery store and stocking up today, no kidding. But I got a late start this morning so decided to go tomorrow. Now I suppose there won't be any time toilet paper left....again!