Thunderbolt's 2021 Movie Diary

Tools    

69. Werewolf of London (1935) DVD rewatch
Not quite on par with the Lon Chaney (1941) version but still a good addition to the Universal monster cycle. The makeup is still created by the great Jack Pierce but is much more simple than in his 1941 film. This was the first Hollywood mainstream film to feature a werewolf.

70. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) DVD rewatch
First film which stars more than one classic monster. The monster is definitely the sideshow here with the main story belonging to the Wolf Man.

71. Hitchcock (2012) DVD rewatch
The story of Hitchcock and his struggle to bring Psycho to the masses. Is this how it happened? Who knows. But how much influence his wife (Alma Reville) had over him is factually correct. Great performances throughout from Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren.

73. The Shadow of the Cat (1961) DVD rewatch
Forgotten Hammer film. After the death of its mistress a cat seeks revenge on the people hell bent on benefiting from her will. Entertaining movie with an old dark house atmosphere.

Victim of The Night

69. Werewolf of London (1935) DVD rewatch
Not quite on par with the Lon Chaney (1941) version but still a good addition to the Universal monster cycle. The makeup is still created by the great Jack Pierce but is much more simple than in his 1941 film. This was the first Hollywood mainstream film to feature a werewolf.
I'm a big fan of this movie, I actually kinda prefer it to The Wolfman, honestly. Just a grittier film.

75. The Old Dark House (1932) DVD rewatch
Atmospheric movie with very bizarre characters and themes for its time. Certainly a cult film which has influenced many horror films since.

Victim of The Night

75. The Old Dark House (1932) DVD rewatch
Atmospheric movie with very bizarre characters and themes for its time. Certainly a cult film which has influenced many horror films since.
Another favorite.

Victim of The Night

74. X the Unknown (1954) DVD rewatch
Very early Hammer Sci fi with some great effects for its time. A film from the atomic age.
I'm also a fan of this one. Man, you're on a Wooley hot-streak.

77. Wolf (1994) DVD rewatch
One of my favourite werewolf films. Even though this is a modern film it still has an old classic feel to it without looking dated. Nicholson and Pfeiffer are perfectly matched and give great performances. Spader Is also well cast as the villain you just love to hate. I like the fact that the modern take wasn’t filled with blood and gore which certainly isn’t needed. This is more about the story and characters.

78. Hound of the Baskervilles (1959) DVD rewatch
There are many Hammer greats but this gem is never really talked about. Cushing and Lee are on their usual top form and being directed by the brilliant Terence Fisher, you just can’t go wrong. A nicely crafted mystery.

79. The Big Lebowski (1998) DVD rewatch
There’s so much going on in this movie that I notice something different, or a witty line that I never caught onto before each time I view. This was a disappointment at the box office but has now gained cult status. Arguably Bridges best role but he has great support from an equally fantastic John Goodman. This movie never tires with me and I have watched it more times than I can remember. Bizarre entertainment at its best.

79 Movies Watched
121 Remaining

With life getting more hectic each day it’s been a slow month for viewing. However the movies I have managed to see have all had high ratings, possibly the most consistent month so far. I’m still well on track to reach my goal.

80. King Kong Escapes (1968) DVD rewatch
This movie has a laughable charm. Certainly in the “so bad it’s good “ category with a ridiculous plot, bad acting and probably the worst looking Kong ever brought to the big screen. The main villain Dr Who, looks like a cross between Dracula and a crook from a ‘66 episode of Batman. Thoroughly entertaining and guaranteed to make you laugh.

“Let’s send these fu**ers a Rambo gram”
81. Chopping Mall (1986) DVD rewatch
I’ve entered B Movie hell with this addition. The usual onslaught of Jocks, Nerds and the virginal final girl are all present in this horror/sci fi. Teens stay in a shopping mall after dark but face a fight for survival against security robots which have malfunctioned.

Cheesy yes, but some of the special effects are actually pretty good. But plot, acting, killer 80’s hair and an 80’s score drag this into cult movie status. Even my transfer to DVD looks like it’s taken straight from VHS. My score is purely on the ridiculous scale.

That should be on Tubi in a nice transfer.

I like the movie. Good lead actress, well paced and energetically executed.