Your favorite sublime, sacred & spiritual films?

Tools    

Maybe you weren't ready for it. May a higher power illuminate your journey.

Ok, come back in 20 years and tell us if you still feel that way.

The trick is not minding
Ok, come back in 20 years and tell us if you still feel that way.
Well, considering itís already been about 20 years since my first Bergman and Bunuel, I think itís safe to say the time period you set up, however arbitrary, hasnít changed my view.

The trick is not minding
I must rewatch it. I thought it was very good but totally inferior to the stuff I watched back then (Tarr, Tarkovsky, Bergman, Dreyer, Angelopoulos, Mizoguchi, etc.).
I donít think Iíve ever heard you speak about Bunuel yet, and considering you didnít include any of his films in your personal top 300 from a few years ago, Iíll guess you arenít a huge fan?
What do you consider his best film?

Anyone's opinion about a given director depends on their vantage point, I suppose.

From my vantage point, BuŮuel is totes the better one, but your vantage point may be different than mine.

I donít think Iíve ever heard you speak about Bunuel yet, and considering you didnít include any of his films in your personal top 300 from a few years ago, Iíll guess you arenít a huge fan?
What do you consider his best film?
Not a huge fan. I disliked him when I first started out. Compared to other all-time greats; he just didn't stand the comparison. He grew on me, though. That Obscure Object of Desire is my favorite. Been watching some minor Bunuels recently and enjoying them a lot.

My main issue with Bunuel is that he never gives me transcendent or sublime feels when I watch his films. He's a quirky "acquired taste" kind of director when it comes to his most acclaimed films, whereas many of my favorites are directors whose most acclaimed films steamroll me into submission by the sheer power of their artistic prowess. Even Tarkovsky's "weakest" Ivan's Childhood is better than any Bunuel.

I'd probably rank Bergman above Bunuel, but I don't think the difference between them is that great.
The difference is significant, although Bunuel is obviously a great director in his own right. When compared to most contemporary cinema, Bunuel is a total master.

From my vantage point, BuŮuel is totes the better one, but your vantage point may be different than mine.
Yeah, I think you're just wrong. Wouldn' be the first time either.

Yeah, I think you're just wrong
Oh no, I would never dream of taking that honor away from you!

Have you watched Godspell Minio?

Did you misunderstand my point with Loki?
I don't care about it.

Did you have a response to my Bergman and Renoir comments?
Bergman is a no-brainer. Renoir has nothing sublime, sacred, or spiritual about him. The River is good but nothing special and I'm shocked it's Pedro Costa's favorite film of all time, for example.

Have you watched Godspell Minio?
No.

It is a religious experience!

It is a religious experience!
Nice joke. Now let's get serious.

Thanks for your reply, but how can you not care if you don't understand?
I don't care about your reference full stop, even if it supports what I'm saying.

Renoir's sacred, sublime and spiritual River is hugely respected by many of the world's greatest filmmakers. But it apears to be as lost upon you as my Loki observation.
It's good, not great. La grande illusion is best Renoir tho it's humane, not sacred or spiritual.

Bergman's F&A represents a huge leap forward in his spiritual growth from his so-called earlier trilogy. Do you want to discuss that?
I'd unironically love to but I've seen these films over 10 years ago and already got they're masterpieces so a rewatch now would probably destroy me.

Saying "I don't care" to someone else's point is the literal definition of incorrigibility.
I'm talking about good taste.

Nice joke. Now let's get serious.

It was not a joke, I was serious. The movie may be a musical but it does address faith in a fairly meaningful way.

I'm talking about good taste.
Either talking about taste is worthwhile, or not. If it is, then it's worth considering what other people say about it. If it's not, then there'd be no reason for you to berate them in the first place.

Engaging makes sense, and so does not engaging. The only thing that cannot possibly make sense is what's happening now, where attempts at engagement are superficially dismissed.

It was not a joke, I was serious. The movie may be a musical but it does address faith in a fairly meaningful way.
Oh, I forgot 'muricans think hippies and market hall churches are 'spiritual'. Imagine taking seriously cultures that haven't even figured out how to be Christian yet.

I think few people get what I meant by sublime, sacred & spiritual films in this thread. Most of you seem to think that any film that can be intellectually understood as one on faith and so on qualifies here, though what I meant here is more specific and the best of the best:

Films that defy logic and touch the core of humanity or transcendence, placing them among the most sacred and revered works. Films of utmost ethical or artistic merit that uplift the soul to a sublime level of moral or spiritual refinement and excellence.
Considering I hate materialism and 99% of films are about that, it's a miracle I even started this thread.

Either talking about taste is worthwhile, or not.
It's worthwhile because people with good taste can show the ones with bad taste what's the actual best stuff out there. The attainment of elite status comes with the possession of a sophisticated and diversified cinematic palette, after all.

If it is, then it's worth considering what other people say about it. If it's not, then there'd be no reason for you to berate them in the first place.
Waaaait a seeeeeecond. So... I need a reason to berate people? But what is the point of a forum when you can't berate each other's movie taste dawg?

Engaging makes sense, and so does not engaging. The only thing that cannot possibly make sense is what's happening now, where attempts at engagement are superficially dismissed.
You're just upset that I do not send you proof of my truths and lies. Therefore you feel me distant and never sure what I'm going to say. Must be frustrating but it's all 100% true. What you need to take into consideration is that unlike other members here, I'm not limited by pretenses of politeness.

This is a bit perplexing. Do you just want people to list S3 movies, or do you want to discuss those movies?
I'm not looking for a discussion. I'm looking for good recommendations.

Loki is a fascinating god because he's so very human, and capable of both terrible and wonderful acts, but should I have just listed the Thor movies he's in?
You seriously just posted about a Marvel character in this thread and don't see it as overstepping the limits of good principles?

This topic has great possibilities, but it seems to me that FilmBuff may be the only one doing what you actually seem to want, which is mostly just listing movies, often in rather hilarious and unexpected fashion.
Where is his taste, though? It's all conservative mumbo jumbo.

I do suggest a re-watch of The River, as it's an immensely powerful and beautiful movie, and one of the most spiritual I've ever seen, but I first viewed it in college, and really didn't get it at first flow. Very much worth the paddle!
Mkay, but I'll hold you responsible if I don't change my mind on it. Not that it qualifies in this thread, anyway, but fine.

Bresson also, particularly A Man Escaped.
Yeah, and you just had to cite his least spiritual film. Bresson is good, if you care about animals and underaged girls. I don't.