"The Lost Daughter" on Netflix

→ in
Tools    

I thought that it was a bit extreme ,for Nina to stab Leda ,in the stomach, with a hair pin for stealing the doll. She might have even ended up killing her ? The movie was quite a bit confusing and hard to tell what was going on .

I thought that it was a bit extreme ,for Nina to stab Leda ,in the stomach, with a hair pin for stealing the doll. She might have even ended up killing her ? The movie was quite a bit confusing and hard to tell what was going on .
Spoilers:

The idea, as far as I can make out is that the end :

WARNING: "The Lost Daughter" spoilers below
She has had a car crash after being stabbed. And the part of her that has always eaten her alive due to the way she acted (going missing for 3 years) is now dead. Remember she is wearing white, an orange has appeared from nowhere (that is a callback to her snake rhyme she shared with her daughters), and she says 'I'm not dead - actually I'm alive'.

The mini post credit scene also shows the camera pan away from her and she is sitting on a completely different beach to the one she crashed on (it has a rock face behind her). This, in my opinion, is a metaphor that she (i.e. her mind) is in a different place. She has come out the other side and is finally at peace with the decision she made all those years ago.

In the book there is apparently a different ending and it is a little switched around from the film, but I've not read it.

Lovely ending. I think the phone call from her daughters was real, and we're seeing an allegorical vision of her thought process play out and how her mind is now different. It's a very happy ending.

Really good film.

Not a bad movie by any means, but confusing to me. Unsure about the ending.

What rang untrue for me was the family from New York. No family from Queens would act in such a cloddish way on the beach. Surprising since the director herself is from the city.

What was with the loutish Greek guys? I’ve never seen Greeks act this way either at home or abroad. Very odd.

Colman was very good indeed & carried the movie for me. Jessie Buckley excellent too.

Dakota Johnson didn’t have too much to do. Neither did Ed Harris.

Olivia Coleman does a solid performance in this movie.
The movie is about regrets. And how they never leave you.. indeed can haunt you for the rest of your life.
Seeing the young mother with her young daughter on the beach brings out an array of bad memories she struggles with.
I rate it 3.5 stars... with at least one of those stars belonging solely to Coleman for carrying the film.