Law and Order

Tools    

Which is the best era from the Law & Order: SVU? Why?

1) Stabler era
2) Amaro era
3) "Current" era: Carisi/ Kat Tamin

I'm torn between the frst two; I'd choose 2 because Amaro's character was more developed, at times you loved him, at times you hated him. he had a lot going on in his private life.

What I don't like about Carisi is he looks and acts like a robot, speaks fast, zero empathy.
As much as loved the chemistry between Benson and Stabler, Amaro was a lot more interesting character...he was hotheaded like Stabler, but the guy couldn't catch a break...Internal Affairs were pretty much up his butt during his entire tenure on the show.

That's probably not going to happen since the shows are on competing networks.
Where I'm from, both shows are shown on the same network: Universal TV channel.

I can't put my finger on it but there's something missing on the "newer" Law & Order: SVU series, let's say in the last 2 or 3 seasons. I don't know but they used to be creepier, darker, the atmosphere was different. Do you agree?

The original "Law & Order" is one of my favorite shows. It ended in 2010, but was recently revived, and I've been watching the first couple seasons of the new show. To me, it feels like the show since it was brought back has had a big decline in quality for a few different reasons. Firstly, I think several of the people in their roles are either miscast, Hugh Dancy and Cameron Manheim, for example, or are not skilled actors, the woman who plays the Assistant District Attorney is a good example of that. Also, "Law & Order" during its original show was extremely well written, with very clever storylines and well developed characters, while now, it is not. Additionally, the original show was largely apolitical, while this new version seems to be much more politically driven in its choices, and usually features stories which are slanted to the left, and which are often very heavy handed and message driven, rather than being about the investigation of the crimes. Some of the portrayals of the characters appear to have also changed. For example, in an episode this season, Jack McCoy, who is now the District Attorney, supported using a video that all parties in the DA's office were pretty confident had been doctored and was not authentic, because they didn't definitively know, and it helped their case. He was always an extremely ethical lawyer during the run of the original show. Recently, they also announced that Sam Waterston, who plays Jack McCoy, and is the only character left from the original, is leaving the show, which is the only reason I would have had to continue watching it.

I was very excited when they brought "Law & Order" back and thought this might be an exception to the rule, that because it is a timeless show that revolves around the cops that investigate crimes and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders, that it would be just as good as it always was. After all, the opportunities for stories are endless, and its a show based on a formula, which if executed properly, should still be good. To me, that's not what's happened. Are there any fans of the original show that have watched the new one and that are also finding that this just isn't the same "Law & Order" that they remember? I've watched the original episodes of the show recently, so my dislike of this new version of the show is not a case of my tastes changing over the years. I'd love to hear others thoughts on this.