Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by nebbit
Up the Wollongong Wolves.

PERTH GLORY
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Originally Posted by Hondo333
PERTH GLORY
Are they good? I know nothing about soccer, I posted it for my Mother who was a big fan of The Wollongong Wolves.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Sutter Kain
Hey Golgot why do u care if people call it Football?
just a logic thing really - and a bit of fun. We call our game football, coz it is played with the feet. Later, you guys invented a game using hands and decided to call it football. We just don't like people re-naming our sport for us is all. Absolutely nobody here calls it soccer. Why don't you call "football" gridiron? That'd sort everything out Or "american-rules" (should fit with the mentality)

The King of Horror
We don't just use our hands we use are feet as well. And we aren't re naming the sport for you we are re naming the sport for us.

It's called soccer because it's played with knee high socks.

It's called football because the ball is carried on foot across the goal line.

Heheheh. That's the best rationalisation i've ever seen on this topic. Well done.

But, most sports involve the use of your feet. We don't call tennis, erm, football. We don't call running footing either. We apply, with dazzling precision, the word foot to the part of the body used to propel a football (i'm talking about the spherical thing propelled by the foot 90% of the time in the game of football. Not in gridiron, where you coset it and carry it around like a precious baby, which you occasionally like to throw to your neighbour. And where you wear giant protective body socks (and body shoes if you like).

Honestly

I think American football should be more accurately called American Passball, it makes more sense that way in my opinion.

Also, I consider American 'Football' just the safer and far more boring version of Rugby. In Rugby we don't need no silly protective padding. It is a contact sport after all.

As to the other, if your going to name something, it has to have at least a reasonable prominence with the thing your applying it to.

FOOTBALL = Foot connecting with ball.

SOCCER = Sock-er???? Boxing perhaps???? Father Christmas filling stockings???? A maker of socks????

Hey, just having fun there. Americans feel free to use whatever curious choice names you wish for the sports on your particular continent.

so long as they remember what we call our sports too :whistles-innocently-smilie:

Seeing as soccer came from "football association" or something, maybe we could get something out of NFL to sort all this out.

Call it: Nuffle.

Yeah, that'll do. Pass the nuffleball. Or just the nuffle. - "Oh, and that's a beautiful pass, the nuffle's in the air....touchdown" - Yeah, it'd work fine.

Originally Posted by Golgot
so long as they remember what we call our sports too :whistles-innocently-smilie:

Seeing as soccer came from "football association" or something, maybe we could get something out of NFL to sort all this out.

Call it: Nuffle.

Yeah, that'll do. Pass the nuffleball. Or just the nuffle. - "Oh, and that's a beautiful pass, the nuffle's in the air....touchdown" - Yeah, it'd work fine.

" He's muffled the nuffle and it doesn't look pretty from the opponents angle........"

Originally Posted by Revenant
" He's muffled the nuffle and it doesn't look pretty from the opponents angle........"

"....he looks ruffled but he's still got the nuffle. He breaks free of the scuffle....Noooo....he didn't have enough left to nuffle it well, and now he's in for a rebuff-el from his manager, as well...."

Btw, in Mexico it's called Fútbol.

To Golgot,
Why don't you call it Footie? It's cute and more polite since it makes no mention of balls.

To the people who say Miami is going to the Superbowl every year,
Not this year.

"....he looks ruffled but he's still got the nuffle. He breaks free of the scuffle....Noooo....he didn't have enough left to nuffle it well, and now he's in for a rebuff-el from his manager, as well...."
"Now the crowd has been muffled as the nuffle gets shuffled away....."

Err, I'm stuck for additional rhyme.

Originally Posted by sunfrog
Btw, in Mexico it's called Fútbol.

To Golgot,
Why don't you call it Footie? It's cute and more polite since it makes no mention of balls.
Oh we do, but quietly, so noone will think they're free to use the official version without our say-so

Y es mas o menos igual: futbol/football - no?

Those mystical Mexicans, they know about the nature of reality (and silly sports that keep us off the streets )

Hmm, ok, you're right tho. Any word with ball in it might offend delicate american sensibilities (). Quick, let's change it too footbladder. No, that's no better. Um,....spheri-thing? ElliptiHand? CatchyCurve? SquishedSphere? Spinner? Rota-Rugby?

Come on, you've had ages to make up your own name for it
(i'm so asking for trouble... )

Originally Posted by Revenant
"Now the crowd has been muffled as the nuffle gets shuffled away....."

Err, I'm stuck for additional rhyme.
Yeah, i kept ending up trying to fit duffle-coat in there somewhere. Oh well, it's not like commentators rhyme that much...."He hits the ball through the squall of winter weather and it lands with a dismall squelch." - well, alright, mebe occasionally - the more morosely flambouyant ones

I'm a big Patriots fan, let's hope they can rebuild that glory from two years ago!

49ers fan here, and when it comes to our football, Red Star Belgrade, Liverpool FC & Feijenoord.

Where are you based these days then Mairosu?

(PS God I'm so happy - Spurs actually looked good in the premiership this weekend. Could the seven years of injuries, lack of squad-depth, options across the pitch, and on-and-off flair and fun-to-watch footie be over? Could we be back in consistant flair territory? After the goals today -we can but hope - Kanoute actually looked solid, not injury prone. Taricco finally made one of those speculative shots work. The best defenders were all there and giving good account of themselves. We've got a selection of strikers who can actually score (even when Robbie Keane's away - last year that would have been a disaster). Christ, we even had a midfield!!! Oh yessss)

Where are you based these days then Mairosu?

(PS God I'm so happy - Spurs actually looked good in the premiership this weekend. Could the seven years of injuries, lack of squad-depth, options across the pitch, and on-and-off flair and fun-to-watch footie be over? Could we be back in consistant flair territory? After the goals today -we can but hope - Kanoute actually looked solid, not injury prone. Taricco finally made one of those speculative shots work. The best defenders were all there and giving good account of themselves. We've got a selection of strikers who can actually score (even when Robbie Keane's away - last year that would have been a disaster). Christ, we even had a midfield!!! Oh yessss)
Gent, Belgium.

(PS. Again a one-in-a-six start. We-he-****ing-hey.)

You've won one of six? (well - we just ended a run of about ten league games without a goal [i think] - counting the end of last season. Abysmal end. Hilarious start tho - last season we were top - mainly coz our (when-fit) surreal midfield talisman is ex-scouser/Liverpool Redknapp - who kept spooning hilarious accidental goals and passes. We were top for the first few weeks til he got injured - still ,he played a blinder yesterday. Lovely distribution)

Nah, I meant one point from the opening six. Fills you with confidence.

As for Redders, he should be blamed for increasing the unemployment rates in the northwest - the moment he bolted for London, the NHS inevitably had to lay off all those extra hospital workers.

Seriously, the guy's good for maybe 4 games per season. I was quite keen on Spurs at one point because they resemble a medical miracle - Redknapp AND Dazza Anderton in one team. Honestly, their insurance bill has to be going through the roof with those two around.