Sigma Male, "Cool" Pyschopaths: Jordan Belfort, Pat Bateman, Joker, et

Tools    

Nobody mentioned Dexter -- the quintessential good bad guy.

Yes, I always had a problem with this. The whole serial killer/vigilante thing was just too creepy.for me. I saw a few episodes out of curiousity but I had to bail.

Welcome to the human race...
OP is missing the point of appeal of those characters. In most of the sigma male idol movies.....the lead characters are extremely attractive and are real alpha males. Sure Bateman is insecure but he is ripped as hell and he is able to get any woman he wants (not just prostitutes) and super rich.
Tyler Durden might live in a crappy apartment or a figment of imagination but he is able to influence 100s of young men.
Jordan belfort is the ultimate alpha of Capitalism. Him being caught doesn't negate his meteoric rise.

As per TV characters OP mentioned...they are Dad bod alpha males.

All these shows and movies have 1 thing in common. For 99.99% of their runtime they dont deal with consequences. For most of the runtime they revel in the characters vices. Consequences are more of a footnote.
That's literally what OP said:

it seems like the idolaztion comes from missing the mark. That just by framing an awful person in a "heroic" and successful role people gravitate towards them
In both your post and theirs, the apparent idolisation of these characters hinges on actively disregarding how they are framed as villains in favour of their "successful" aspects, which also disregards the question of whether or not their success should be aspirational. Bateman's obsession with murder speaks to his dissatisfaction even with his supposedly enviable lifestyle. Durden is capable of inspiring hundreds of men, but he does it to start a cryptofascist terrorist cell. That Belfort becomes an "alpha capitalist" off the back of gross fraud and exploitation damns not just him but capitalism itself. So yeah, OP was right in that the appeal lies in missing the point, and technically, so are you.

Also, I love that we're continuing to go along with this idea of classifying male personality types with greek letters, which itself comes from a long-ago debunked study about hierarchies in wolf packs.

I can't wait to find out what it means to be an Iota Male. Are these the guys on OKCupid who under their "Self Summary" write "just ask"?