The Spooktacular Groove Tournament

Tools    

ROUND 1 - DAY 2

The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine vs Harriers of Discord - You're Dead
(I echo what others have said about the repetitiveness of "You're Dead." The song's not bad, but it feels far longer than it actually is. The Devil's Blood is clearly heavily influenced by Black Sabbath, so they're right up my alley.)

Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet vs Cradle of Filth - A Gothic Romance
(I'm not a fan of Cradle of Filth, although I have liked a few of their songs and considered nominating one for this tournament. This song is an endurance test and I was ready to tap out long before it pummeled me to death. Manson has been one of my favorite artists since middle school. There are plenty of songs from him that I prefer to "Tourniquet," but I thought this one would fit well with the theme.)

Babymetal - Gimme Chocolate vs The Monkees - Heart and Soul
(I've never had much use for monkeys unless they're being spanked. My reaction to Babymetal remains a big WTF every time I hear or see them, but at least it's an oddly fascinated WTF.)

Kasabian - Put Your Life On It vs White Zombie - Grindhouse (A Go-Go)
("Put Your Life on It" is quite a nice song. Very pleasant in that kick-back-and-bob-your-head-to-the-music sorta vibe. Tempted to vote against it for a complete lack of spookiness, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I preferred it to "Grindhouse (A Go-Go)," although I do like the latter as well.)

Horrorpops - Walk Like A Zombie vs Ninja Sex Party - Crasher-Vania
(Really enjoyed "Walk Like a Zombie," whereas the second song was just annoying. It probably doesn't help that I can barely remember ever playing a Castlevania game, and that would've been all the way back on the NES when I was super young.)

Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night vs The Residents - Constantinople
(The Tarot song overstayed its welcome a bit, but I liked it. I was weirdly amused by the second song, but there's a strong possibility that I would've ended up in a padded room if it had gone on much longer.)

Warfare - Baron Frankenstein vs Swans - A Hanging
(I like the instrumentation and horror sampling in "Baron Frankenstein," but I don't really care for the vocals. "A Hanging" immediately grabbed me with its apocalyptic sound. Dark, depressing, gloomy. The spookiest song I've heard so far this tournament. I think the gates of Hell just opened.)

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Shinshoku vs The Dead Brothers - Death Blues
(This L'Arc~en~Ciel song is a slight improvement on their earlier song, but the warbling vocals are such a turn-off. If the Grim Reaper could play a fiddle, "Death Blues" would be his jam.)

R1D2

The Devil's Blood - Christ or Cocaine*
Not really

Marilyn Manson - Tourniquet*
Another case of "Never really get the appeal" and manson was one those. but i prefer his track more than the 2nd

Babymetal - Gimme Chocolate
My former roommate was actually the actual legit fan of babymetal. This track was the one that really stuck on me

White Zombie - Grindhouse (A Go-Go)*
Both are equally nice. I' ll go with the one that supposedly fit the theme

Horrorpops - Walk Like A Zombie*
Not really. Horrorpop are bit closer to the mine taste

The Residents - constantinople
First one is fine. The Residents is still creep my ass much more

Swans - A Hanging
Fine spookie song by swans

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Shinshoku 『lose control』
If not for Nostalghia value i probably a bit grew up for this track by laruku, especially edgy moment at the mid-track. I still love them tho' and tetsu bassline still kickin ass, as always. Just be honest i wont never went into typical sound of 2nd track as i remember mentioned the day before

ROUND 1
DAY 2

Both are ok without being anything more for me, the first is pretty generic whilst the latter a tad repetitive - I don't mind repetitive though as long as I'm enjoying it and I give the latter the slight edge here

Pretty easy choice for me, have always liked Manson and whilst the Cradle Of Filth song isn't terrible the vocals simply don't do it for me and by the midpoint I'm ready for it to end

I'm not a Babymetal fan but that one's more tolerable than some of theirs and sadly whilst I used to love The Monkees this track of theirs is imo the epitome of a calculated corporate MOR offering that's technically proficient but ironically given the title has absolutely zero heart or soul

Kasabian have never really done much for me and sadly this track is no exception, the White Zombie track is ok and gets the vote this time

Love me some modern 'billy' whilst I've never been a gamer and apparently have no sense of humour

Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night vs The Residents - constantinople
Quite liked the first and though the second was short and to the point apparently I have no sense of adventure either

I'd have voted for Warfare over a few in this set and Swans are very much an acquired taste so prolly won't go through but it's a beautifully oppressive track and an easy vote for me

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Shinshoku 『lose control』vs The Dead Brothers - Death Blues
I'm mixed on the L'Arc~en~Ciel vocals - I quite enjoy when they are David Sylvian-esque, not keen when they are not though - but The Dead Brothers is far more my type of jam anyway and gets my vote

ROUND 1 - DAY 3

Mr Bungle - Backstrokin' vs Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Man Who Built The Moon
Not a fan of either. The latter has pretty good verses but I didn't like the chorus. Mr Bungle has nothing good.

Argentum - La Sorella di Satana vs Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Two best songs of this round in a same pair. Screw you random.org! It's a tight one but I must choose my own nom.

Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku - Forbidden Karma vs Blue October - The End
First is pretty weak J-pop with horrible "English" intro. Second is OK and gets little extra bonus for properly telling a story.

The Shaggs - it's Halloween vs Funkadelic - Hit It and Quit It
I'd probably make better music than The Shaggs I can't play any instrument. Funkadelic isn't that good either but it doesn't have to be to win this pair.

Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey vs Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark
Didn't like the first at all and the second is one of the better Boss songs.

Hellcat & the Prowl - Betty Bones vs Lenny Kravitz - Low
Neither is very good but I'll vote first because it has a story and the second one has so dull and monotonous drumming.

Paul McCartney - Despite Repeated Warnings vs Dälek - Forever Close My Eyes
I'm going to surprise everyone (me included) by voting the hip hop song. That might actually be the first of its kind I liked.

The Cars - Just What I Needed vs Gackt - Lu:na
Didn't like the first at all. Second is quite good with lots of stuff happening.

ROUND 1
DAY 3

Mr Bungle - Backstrokin' vs Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The Man Who Built The Moon
Not crazy about the Mr Bungle track, it could have developed into something alright but didn't seem arsed about whether it did or not, I'm no fan of either of the Gallaghers but the High Flying Birds track was a pleasant enough listen and takes this one easily for me

Argentum - La Sorella di Satana vs Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Thought the Argentum track was decent initially but after the first couple of minutes it started to meander and finally devolved into a rather mundane and boring elongated outtro, Bang Bang was on my list to nom at some point and I see no reason to vote against it here

I'm just so not the right audience for the first so it's an easy vote for mine own here

A very, very, very, very close call .......................................... not

Gabriel is generally hit and miss with me - Spank Shock The Monkey sadly drifts more toward 'miss' than 'hit', Springsteen's Dancing is a little bit played out for me but still takes this one fairly easily

Low is a perfectly decent track but as I've also had to cross Betty Bones off my 'nom sometime' list I'm afraid the opposition has to be better than just 'perfectly decent' for me to cross it out twice in one evening

Sorry but don't like either .... "ip dip doo, doggy did a poo..."

The first is a blast from the past that I've not heard for ages and whereas I don't mind the second musically I'm really not keen on the vocals

Round 1 | Day 3

"Backstrokin'" was quite interesting, if a bit short. I like the second one a bit more than the Oasis songs I've heard.

The first one is not really my style. I like Nancy Sinatra's version of "Bang Bang" more than the original, since the tone seems to suit the lyrics better.

While listening to "Forbidden Karma", my room mate sang out to ask what anime I was watching haha. The other song was alright, but not exactly my style.

The picture used as a backdrop to the "It's Halloween" youtube vid is exactly how I'd imagine the band looked if I had only heard the song. I didn't find it too bothersome at the start, but as the song progressed, it stated to give me a headache. Those sounds just don't work together for me.

I'd never seen the music video for "Shock the Monkey" before, so that was an interesting watch haha. I'm a little tired of Spingsteen (all the old people here absolutely love him so his music plays everywhere all the time), but I do still like this song.

While I don't listen to Lenny Kravitz, I don't dislike him or anything. He doesn't get my vote here though since the beat of "Betty Bones" had me moving in my seat a bit for the first half.

I've never really been a fan of McCartney, or the Beatles either to be honest. This new song hasn't really changed my mind but I'm going with it over "Forever Close My Eyes" though, because I just can not get into hip hop at all.

This is definitely the hardest decision so far. I used to be a big fan of Gackt back in high school. My mom quite liked him too, actually haha. I still have a few of his CDs at her house somewhere. "Lu:na" was one of my favourite songs of his, though there are some slight differences between this version and the one I remember, though nothing major. I quite like "Just What I Needed" as well, and that's a song that I'd probably put on my mp3 player now. I'm giving my vote to Gackt though, since it's thematically more appropriate.

R1D2

Mr Bungle - Backstrokin'*
decent bungle. Both just equally passable to me

Argentum - La Sorella di Satana*
Not my usual jam so feel it tad too long. Prefer more than bang bang

Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku - Forbidden Karma*
Captain steel recommend me this before and since somehow this fit theme xD. Popular idol song usually really lack of beat but this quiet an exception. The 2nd just feel as typical generic sound that usually friend of mine would often played next room

The Shaggs - it's Halloween*
The shaggs is like ed wood or tom wiseau would be in music. It's so bad yet so good with some goddard-esque mishap on it. Funkadelic has good song, just conventional one.

Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey*
Not really interested with pete gabriel solo work, But it's just no brainer against springsteen

Hellcat & the Prowl - Betty Bones*
Both were nice. Lenny just too passable

Dälek - Forever Close My Eyes
Mcartney is like being preachy and ironically shove you with his own agenda while these dalek has this sage like, nihilistic vibe

Gackt - Lu:na
I never really fan of gackt, even i think in his time in malice mizer. Not help his life persona has this kanye west-esque. Not that them both got similar attitudes or negative public images but somehow both were aligned, in such cringe worthy ways. from some that i had heard, most can be miss with few has impact. still remember at junior high to just randomly buy anime ost compilation songs at record shop, to found this unconventional enka-esque rock vocal by him lol. This was the most memorable one.
The cars itself was in long list for artists I have yet but want to check. Likely will look more of them after this.

My vote coming in about 3 hours. I'll wait till 18.00 GMT+1 to get @mojofilter's vote for yesterday's batch before asking for a tie breaker. Day 3 coming up soon after that.

Will be casting my vote in about 3 hours from now. I'll wait until 12.00 EST for @mojofilter's vote from Day 2 before asking for a tie breaker. Day 4, the final day of Round 1, will commence shortly after.

ROUND 1 - DAY 3

(The latter feels like a more complete song, but I can't say I cared much for it. Not Crazy about the Mr. Bungle track, either, but there's a slinking quality to it that I sorta dig. Appropriate music to play when stalking someone in the night.)

(I like how evil the Argentum track sounds, as if it's being sung by actual demons, but the music doesn't offer enough variance to maintain interest for 6-plus minutes. "Bang Bang" has the potential to win this tournament.)

(Hated both of these, to be honest. The first had me searching for another atom bomb, while the second reminded me too much of every annoying emo kid I've ever known.)

(The first sounds like something I'd hear onstage at a talent show hosted by special-needs children. "Hit It and Quit It" isn't something I'd listen to on my own, but at least it's composed by musicians with actual talent.)

(Two overrated artists. The second is more tolerable, even though I'd be okay with never hearing it again.)

(Haven't listened to Lenny Kravitz in years, but I do like a lot of his stuff. "Low" is pretty mediocre, though. "Betty Bones" is fun and Halloween-y.)

(The first is a bit corny, but I enjoyed it and the song went by a lot quicker than the second, which is lyrically strong, but just isn't at all pleasing to listen to for my personal tastes.)

(Have heard the first song a million times, but I've never grown tired of it. I grew tired of the second song two minutes into hearing it for the first time.)

I'll be voting on DAY 2 and 3 later on today. I've been busy lately.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Alright. A post comment wouldn't have hurt.
Why would I leave a post comment when I can just leave a post?
I meant a post comment (or post if you like) that you'll be late. Like I usually to do for you, except once.

But no matter. I know you're busy. I future I'll just wait a full day if it's round end (when it matters most) and post the ones you'd have to break, if that's easier?

I just like posting the day's winners.

ROUND 1
DAY 3

I love this song. It comes right after the LOUDEST and probably most intense moment of the album. Then it's all happy to be backstrokin'. Do dat do dat do dat dat do dat... before the stinger at the end. This comes off the album that I had at my #1 in the Albums countdown.

Killer Nancy Sinatra! I dig her.

Both of these were new to me. The second I liked more.

Hahaha, like the Florence Foster Jenkins of bands - ****ing awful but also kind of awesome. It can't beat Funkadelic though.

Sometimes I have to listen to a bit of Bruce Springsteen. He's no favourite of mine, but I quite like that song. But I like the Pater Gabriel a lot more. I've always found Peter Gabriel to be quite interesting...especially in his Genesis days.

Wow, the beginning of Betty Bones sounds like a Jeff Buckley song. I generally like Rocka/psychobilly stuff. I also like some Lenny Kravitz, and I hadn't heard this song before. This was a tough choice as I liked that one too, it took me surprise as it's smoother pop than I expected. Well produced. Listened to both twice before voting.

Dälek's my favourite hip hop band. This is also the saddest hip-hop song I've ever heard. The Paul McCartney song didn't quite grab me.

It's been a long time since I heard that song by The Cars, but I'd never heard of Gackt. Kinda of rocking but what's up with the vocals? It's got my attention, but I'll need to get used to those vocals or they're another of those "nice band, shame about the vocals" acts for me.

ROUND 1 - DAY 2

Both songs are kickass. I just liked the first a little more

Marilyn Manson grosses me out, but I like some of his songs. The second one is not my thing.

Babymetal are cute. Not a fan of the Monkees

White Zombie are badass, but I do like that Kasabian song a lot

The first one is sweet. The second was kinda annoying

Tarot - Things That Crawl at Night vs The Residents - Constantinople
The first was cool. The second was not.

That second one was spooky. Fits the theme perfectly

L'Arc~en~Ciel - Shinshoku vs The Dead Brothers - Death Blues
Both were good. I dug the second more

ROUND 1 DAY 3

Noel wrote quite a lot of uplifting ****-all attitude infused fist-pumping anthems in his Oasis days, and he sure knows how to write a dark atmospheric song like Man Who Built The Moon too.

Sinatra's song is one of the coolest most badass songs ever written. It's not spooky per say but it sure is dark.

The first one sucks

Give me some of that funky stuff. I dig that song

Shock The Monkey fits the theme more

Low is my new favorite song. That's Michael Jackson howling in the chorus by the way. And the way Lenny beats those drums is cool as hell

Paul's song is about Trump and how he pulled the US out of the Climate Change agreement (or what is known as the Paris Accords). Epic tune! Kinda reminds me of the lengthy multi-layered songs from the late 60's Beatles era.

I'll just go with the song I'm more familiar with