Television Tab

Tools    

Both very interesting documentaries.

Watched the first episode of Disenchantment, and uh...it was horrible. Painfully unfunny, groaned so much and didn't laugh once. Here's two jokes in the same scene. 1. Daughter implies she doesn't want to get married, mother responds "Don't worry dear, i had butterflies in my stomach on my wedding day too...i shouldn't have eaten so many" *tongue pops out and eats a fly* . 2. Father says to daughter she should get out of her clothes and into her wedding dress, obviously meaning she should go in a different room and get changed. Daughter says okay and takes off her shirt there. While walking out the father says "Anyone looks at her and i'll have their head chopped off" to everyone in the room, they all look away. Some guy who didn't hear it walks in and says "boy did i look at her (coz you know that's what someone would say). What?"

I know writing out jokes kills them and there might be something in the delivery but nope. As bad as they were maybe a chuckle could've been salvaged with good delivery or at least a groan prevented, but the first was delivered way too fast and the second was completely flat. Think i'm going to force myself through the season since it's only eight episodes and i've heard it begins to get interesting towards the end. It'll need to drastically improve though, i dunno maybe they could have something here story wise but in that case i wish it wasn't a comedy because the joke writing in the pilot was terrible.

A very jolly romp as we Brits might say. A tad over-long IMO. Ben Whishaw & Hugh Grant each put everything they have into this production.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Stirchley. I really liked it too and, while some seemed to think the use of humour was too much considering the subject matter, I thought it was spot on. Just the right side of silly in places but otherwise fine. There again, I'm not someone who thinks there is a subject which can not or should not be the subject of humour.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
How about the first episode of "Manifest"?, am I right?

A couple of the early reviews that I read said that "Manifest" could be the new "Lost". It seems to be off to a good start. It's walking the line nicely between reality and "wtf is going on here?".

Terrific 5-part mini-series from Sky via Showtime. I read the books last year. An absolute tour de force from Benedict. All the other actors were also superb. I watched this twice.

The truth is in here
Californication season 6

As a whole, season 6 of Californication delivers. Hank Moody is still his ever-loving charming self, with Charlie, Karen and Marcy still there to keep your interest as well. Something I really liked was seeing Marcy's self-discovery, and the Charlie/Marcy relationship taking a more positive direction. For the last two seasons it looked absolutely hopeless, but not anymore. Stu for his couple appearances is still funny. And best of all, there's the wonderful, almost pixie-like character of Faith. Like a reviewer on imdb said, I never thought someone could come along and seriously rival Karen, but here we are. She brings a refreshing amount of wisdom and intelligence, and if you ask me is the true perfect partner for Hank. But knowing which decision he made at the end of the season, I do hope he finally finds happiness with Karen. I think we all can relate to not wanting to feel like you've "given up".
Atticus Fetch was a hard pill to swallow at first with his real manchild personality, but eventually his redeeming qualities started shining through, and he turned out not to even be that bad of a singer. The humor is still very strong as in other seasons. And while it didn't happen as often, there were still some moments that made me want to tear up.

What doesn't make this rank with the classic first 4 seasons (or even 5) are a few things holding it back. First off is some of the guest characters. While some were interesting, there was some horrible acting at times as well. Sarah Wynter is shockingly bad as Atticus's wife. One of the most annoying characters I think has ever been created. Ophelia, a really over-the-top parody of misandrists, got on my nerves a lot as well, though Maggie Wheeler's acting wasn't as bad as Wynter's. And there's Tweaker Chick who always tries to bone Hank. And then Trudy who tries to bone Hank, then Charlie. Wow, some creativity there. Isn't it weird too how all of them are women? Come on writers, get better at writing female characters.
And while the humor was mostly strong, there were times here and there where it missed. Which has happened before, but it stuck out more this time.

Californication still proves it's a show worth caring about. Hank's journey is not over yet, and I can't wait to see how the final season goes.

8.6/10, rounded up to

Best episode: I'll Lay My Monsters Down
Weakest episode: Hell Bent For Leather

Brilliant 6-part series from Amazon Prime. Taylor Kitsch amazing in this. Others in the cast equally good: Michael Shannon, Shea Wigham, Julia Garner, Rory Culkin, Paul Sparks.

Incredible what the U.S. government did to these men, women & the 25 children who died.

The truth is in here
@Citizen Rules

Laverne & Shirley - The Slow Child

When Edna's daughter Amy is visiting from special school, Laverne and Shirley are put in charge to take care of her. When Lenny walks in, unannounced as always, he is smitten by her right away. They get along quite well, and Lenny is as gentle as one can be. However, the mistrust Lenny gets might cut the bond between them short...

This episode was WAY ahead of its time. When it aired, people with autism or who were mentally challenged were virtually non-existent on TV. And looking back on it today, it's easy to see why it won audiences over.

The way Linda Gillen portrays Amy with all the various familiar tics and particular way of speaking is something I can confirm is true to real life, as someone who during my first three school years went to a special needs school. And her character is adorable, first feeling shy but then speaking up once she picks out her favorite of the dresses Laverne and Shirley make her choose from. And it gets even cuter once Lenny notices her and they start talking with each other. Lenny was always a little more sensitive than Squiggy (though of course he had those moments as well), and it shows through in the scenes where Lenny talks with her and teaches several things, while also wanting her to tell about herself more. Amy loves that he doesn't treat her like a child and likes her just for who she is, not because of her diagnosis. Eventually this leads up to the famous scene where Squiggy openly insults Amy, which leads Lenny to get pissed off at him and throw him over a table. They have fought before, but the amount of intensity and emotion showcased by Lenny makes it a very moving and poignant moment. Michael McKean acts it out amazingly.

There's also something at the end I think parents with children who are mentally challenged can relate to, that being that you gotta protect them more carefully than other kids, but at the same time you don't want to baby them too much so they won't be able to make their own adult decisions. Betty Garrett gets a chance to shine here. And although it was shocking to see Edna yell at Laverne and Shirley at first, the part where Shirley puts on the pouting sad face her friend often does was hilarious.

Even after that it doesn't look like it will end happily for everyone, with Lenny feeling unhappy at the Saint Patrick's Day party hoping that Amy will arrive. Even Squiggy showing up in his comically inept outfit doesn't keep his mood up for more than a few seconds. Thankfully, she does. They smile and take each other's hands. It warmed my heart so much I was tearing up.

@mattiasflgrtll6

I love that episode of Laverne and Shirley it's so real, so touching and I was rooting for Amy and Lenny to get together and be allowed to love each other for who they are. I enjoyed reading your review, beautifully written!

That's why Laverne and Shirley will always be my favorite TV show.

I really liked that episode, too. Unfortunately it's become fashionable to criticize episodes of the old sitcoms that addressed social issues. Some were awful and/or preachy, but some were very good. That one worked because it was about the characters.

Laverne and Shirley will always be my favorite TV show.
I’ve never seen a single episode of this show. When I lived in NYC I didn’t have a TV set so I didn’t see a lot of tv shows.