Are Films Art or Entertainment?

Tools    

for me, when it comes to foreign vs. american, i just enjoy them in different ways. you have to, really. foreign films put me in a different mood and make me feel different because i'm also watching a film about a different culture and time. i'm getting a bit more educated, i'd say.

also, most foreign films have a completely different style than american films, technically speaking, so i think i appreciate that it's a change of pace, and out of my comfort zone. being out of your comfort zone in films can feel reallllly goooood.
I'm not sure I can go along with this. Maybe somewhat. But what you're describing, for me it also could apply to american independent film.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Ah, but the more films you see and the more you read about it you begin to notice the similarities, influences and homages.
give me an example of an american film that pays homage or influences something american. i'm not saying that because i think you're wrong, i'm just curious.

give me an example of an american film that pays homage or influences something american. i'm not saying that because i think you're wrong, i'm just curious.
Um, really? Ever see anything by Hitchcock? If not, you've probably seen a suspense film before that has a piece of Hitch in it. But I thought you were talking about non-American to American, and vice-versa.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

give me an example of an american film that pays homage or influences something american.
sorry, i worded that wrong. let me restate:

give me an example of an American film that pays homage or influences something non-American, or vice versa.

that isn't a concrete example
Chill.

give me an example of an American film that pays homage or influences something non-American, or vice versa.
Just search google, you'll find thousands of pages. This isn't a big mystery or a theory that the government is tainting our drinking water.

in case you've forgotten, Lime, the point of a discussion forum is to have person-to-person conversations. this being a movie forum, it would be about that. the next time i want to have an affair with Google i'll do it on my own time.

Believe it or not, there is the occasional foreign remake of an american film...

If that's relevant. I'm still not sure what the point is....

American on Foreign: I Am Love pays homage to Ratatouille. Mean Streets on Wong Kar Wai's As Tears Go By?

Foreign on American: Lucas took inspiration from plot elements, possibly some design stuff (swords, Storm Trooper uniforms?) from Samurai films, notably Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress. Plus the in/famous "Nuremberg rally shot" homage (?) to Riefenstahl at the end of Episode 4. Tsui Hark's Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain inspired the effects and bogus Chinese mysticism in John Carpenter's Big Trouble in Little China. Spielberg's casting Truffaut in the role of interplannetary diplomat in Close Encounters could be interpreted as some sort of homage.

Foreign on Foreign: The title sequence from Woman in the Dunes on Peter Greenaway's A Walk Through H? Bicycle Thieves on the rest of Italian neo-realism? Italian Giallo films on early Tsui Hark films, namely stealing a Goblin soundtrack for Dangerous Encounters: First Kind. The Gods Must be Crazy --> Crazy Safari (Hong Kong).

American on American: Touch of Evil on The Player. Hitchcock's Hollywood films on just about everyone, but specific examples include Strangers on a Train --> Throw Momma From the Train and Vertigo --> Obsession (De Palma)

American on American on Foreign: Touch of Evil on The Player on Who's Camus Anyway?

American (literature) on Foreign on Foreign on American: Red Harvest --> Yojimbo --> A Fistfull of Dollars --> Last Man Standing

Everyone on American: The Untouchables (Eisenstein, Dirty Harry, gangster films, etc.), Tarantino's entire career.

Everyone on American on foreign: The Untouchables --> Gunmen (Kirk Wong)

Your argument has no legitimate basis other than you sticking up for your buddy. Calling it vapid and predictable only cements what I've said about the attitude of some people here displayed so far.

Also, I'll neg-rep as I please. I haven't done so nearly as much as I probably should have.
oh yeah, about this....

i'd just like to say that i like everybody here all well enough, including the person i said "LEAVE THE FORUM!" to yesterday. PN is one of the smartest people on this forum, but his poor delivery tends to cancel out his thoughtful words. i just wish there was more balance there, because i bet it would be a lot smoother.

i've said all this before.

anyway, onwards.

Planet News (and wintertriangles) just need to watch what they say -- this assumption that I won't watch foreign movies is getting spoken aloud by Planet News as if I refuse to watch foreign films, as if I've made a statement that I have made a vow to never give foreign films any chance, and this all seems to be because of my obsession with Jake Gyllenhaal. If anybody wants to challenge me and give me a foreign film to watch, please, give me one. I'll show you I can do it. I know I haven't seen many foreign films, but I have seen some. There's a lot out there that I know I haven't seen, and most movies I do watch probably aren't taken seriously by the mega serious film connoisseurs, or whatever, but I DO NOT want to be pegged as somebody who comes across as some sort of stereotype that makes it abundantly clear that I hate foreign films and refuse to watch them. This is very, very disgusting to me.

Planet News (and wintertriangles) just need to watch what they say -- this assumption that I won't watch foreign movies is getting spoken aloud by Planet News as if I refuse to watch foreign films, as if I've made a statement that I have made a vow to never give foreign films any chance, and this all seems to be because of my obsession with Jake Gyllenhaal. If anybody wants to challenge me and give me a foreign film to watch, please, give me one. I'll show you I can do it. I know I haven't seen many foreign films, but I have seen some. There's a lot out there that I know I haven't seen, and most movies I do watch probably aren't taken seriously by the mega serious film connoisseurs, or whatever, but I DO NOT want to be pegged as somebody who comes across as some sort of stereotype that makes it abundantly clear that I hate foreign films and refuse to watch them. This is very, very disgusting to me.
Sexy, people like us cannot hope to understand the power and majesty of PN's discernment. We have too many organs in our bodies, and refuse to accept a higher form of seeing.