My Rear Window Review

→ in
Tools    

Rear Window- 1954
Directed By: Alfred Hitchcock

Alfred Hitchcock's "Rear Window" is an amzing film that looks at sin, boredom, and dillusion. Furthermore, it surprisingly makes a film that takes place at a window 90 percent of the time greatly suspensful.

J.B. Jefferies, played well by James Stewart, is our main character. A wheelchair bound photographer who sits at his apartment window and observes his neighbors, he thinks he has witnessed a murder across the street in the apartment of a couple when a lady dissapears and obvious clues linking to a murder arise.

What makes Rear Window so great is that we see the movie through Jefferie's eyes completely. Nothing that Jefferies cannot see is not revealed to us. Everything is through his perspective which makes this movie great. Not only are our eyes limited to what he sees, but so is our mind. Our opinions and thoughts are limited to the opinions and thoughts of Jefferies. This not only adds an interesting factor to the film but also a great suspense factor.

We, the audience, cannot move around, go off and think for ourselves. When we see danger approaching, so does Jefferies. And because he is confined to stay put, so are we. He cannot stop the danger, and neither can we. This makes for great suspense. The only way we are allowed to go off to another view or place is through two other characters Hitchcock invented. Lisa, Jefferie's lonely girlfriend, and Stella, Jefferie's housemaid. These two characters, because they are not confined, are the characters that, when a clue appears, go off in search for it. Be that as it may, we can only witness and watch them "clue-search" from Jefferie's apartment window.

The only downfall is that the plot, sadly, drags a bit. Because Hitchcock builds up a mountain of suspense, we wait anxiously for the finale to crumble this mountain, in a good way of course. But we seem to wait too long. And in my opinion, the finale does and does not compensate for the long wait as I expected it too. My emotions towards it were mixed.

Nonetheless, not only is there a genius plot and great style, but the acting is great too. James Stewart and Grace Kelly both provide enough great acting that they are so believable. Also, Stewart plays a great role. He creates Jefferies so that even though confined to a wheelchair, he is still very much alive. And we can either like him or hate him for his persona. Hitchcock, Stewart, and Kelly cook up a recipe for a great thriller. And this one tastes good.

4 1/2 out of 5

thanks for your review...this is my favorite hitchcock film..so i don't quite agree with you on the plot...i always thought that it was cleverly done...

never had a problem with the ending

it's always interesting to see someone else's take on it tho...thanks again

I loved this film too. Only think that rather annoyed me was the time when the bad dude was coming at him and couldnt figure out to close his eyes by the 4th time stewart flashed the light. Talk about slow.

Oh and I also didnt like the fact that a few times they would look out the window with the lights blasted sky high and only occasionally worried he may see them lurking at him.

Originally Posted by susan
thanks for your review...this is my favorite hitchcock film..so i don't quite agree with you on the plot...i always thought that it was cleverly done...

never had a problem with the ending

it's always interesting to see someone else's take on it tho...thanks again
Sorry, but I think you are mistaken. I agree that Rear Window has one of the most cleverly crafted plots ever in cinema history. But, in my opinion, the momentum of it slowed down a bit, which disappointed me.

Originally Posted by PrometheusFG
Sorry, but I think you are mistaken. I agree that Rear Window has one of the most cleverly crafted plots ever in cinema history. But, in my opinion, the momentum of it slowed down a bit, which disappointed me.
well, as i said, everyone is entitled to an opinion...you have yours, i have mine, nothing to get upset over...that's what we're all here for...if we all agreed on the same thing, life would get very boring...

So many good movies, so little time.
One of my favorites, don't think it drags for a second. Also one of my favorite endings.

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Originally Posted by susan
well, as i said, everyone is entitled to an opinion...you have yours, i have mine, nothing to get upset over...that's what we're all here for...if we all agreed on the same thing, life would get very boring...
...Ugh, I guess I apologize The last thing I want to do is start tension between me and another member.