Who Will be Our Next President?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Seen that cat loads on videos in the past week. Never gets old

Weird why Americans aren't using EVMs (Electronic Voting Machines). There give instant result and are more secure. Extremely low chance of tampering or votes going to waste.
We do/have. The place I live used them many times before this year. I assume we decided not to this time because they were all touch screens with big physical buttons for confirmation, IE: much worse for COVID than individual paper ballots only the voter had to touch.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Facebook removes group calling for 'civil war' over election
Yikes. 330,000 members.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/elec...-2020-54786937

Weird why Americans aren't using EVMs (Electronic Voting Machines). There give instant result and are more secure. Extremely low chance of tampering or votes going to waste.
Due to the pandemic, there's been a record number of mail in ballots this year and they account for a significant portion of the ballots that are still being counted.

This should be set to music.

Somehow reminds me of one of my favorite old YouTube videos (maybe it's the blue background)...

No matter who wins, we should all work on becoming developers of a better country and better world. Developers, developers, developers!

Most of the live video kinda looks like most of the vote counters have gone home. Is this thing really just gonna hang out here for several more days? This is just bizarre.

You ready? You look ready.
I heard a brand new example of Trump's racism this morning on Boston radio. Because Trump is putting up a fight with these mail in ballots, and because many black people voted this way, apparently Trump is trying to suppress black people.

I can't believe we got to the point where skin color is supposed to define people instead of the other way around.
We do/have. The place I live used them many times before this year. I assume we decided not to this time because they were all touch screens with big physical buttons for confirmation, IE: much worse for COVID than individual paper ballots only the voter had to touch.
And in the case of my own hometown we had electronic machines that swapped people's votes when they submitted their ballots. Easy? Yes. Bug free? Hardly.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Most of the live video kinda looks like most of the vote counters have gone home. Is this thing really just gonna hang out here for several more days? This is just bizarre.
Yeah, it's weird. But I can kinda see it: they often have other duties, it's not supposed to take days and eat into those, they need to rest like anyone else, and you can't just hire people without properly screening, since it's a sensitive job. That and there's technically no reason we need to know a day or two earlier, even though we would really like to.

But I can certainly relate to the frustration.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Zod.
Zod will be our next ruler.
Bow before Zod.
Zod does not love you.
Zod only rules you.
Only Zod.
...only Zod.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I think the question is why someone would be aware of one and not the other to begin with. It's all there for people to find. Why haven't they?

I'm not saying it's someone's job to know everything, but I am saying that what makes someone partisan is not that they're just wrong about things, or believe false things (though that obviously happens), but that they choose to focus on some things and not others. They put time and effort and thought into debunking and deconstructing one false statement, but never go looking for the other ones. It's pretty easy to feel like one side is a lot worse if that's the only side being Googled and critiqued, but choosing to do that more for one than another is, itself, a choice, and reflects perhaps what the person wants to be true.

The hardest thing to do is to be fact-checking the side we're sympathetic to. It's harder to muster enthusiasm for that kind of thing, I admit, and we will never be as diligent about it as our critics. But we have to try.
I've never googled or looked for any of this. As you know 4 years ago I was not a Trump supporter and knew next to nothing about politics. I hardly participated in the presidential threads we had at the time. I was watching what was happening more than normal because Trump made it more interesting. I remember watching one of Trump's conferences or whatever before the election and didn't think much of it, that is until I was watching CNN and whoever was on was saying that he called Mexicans rapists. I thought wait a minute, I watched Trump's conference and that's not at all what he said. In fact, I didn't hear him say anything controversial at all. I looked up the video and watched it again. No I didn't miss anything, I heard it and understood it correctly. I was enraged that the media who I thought was supposed to tell me the news would lie in such a horrible way. The same thing happened after Trump spoke about the terrible incident in Charlottesville. Trump still didn't win my vote that time, but with those types of lies suddenly being a constant everywhere I looked or listened, I couldn't help but start to defend him and that's what I've been doing. As you know it is still a common narrative. It probably has made me a little biased. When he attacked Biden on the racism of the crime bill, I didn't agree but thought hey turnabout is fair play. The truth is that it's all wrong. Just as an aside, I think it's pathetic how Biden cowers and refuses to defend himself but rather says it was a mistake. So I at least noticed something there that I didn't agree with, even if I enjoyed it. I'd like to think that I could point out or at least accept a lie from Trump because I do care more about the greater good than either side in this fight. I still think Trump has been treated more unfairly than anybody I've ever seen. He brings much of it on himself, but to me it's not about him, it's about the people who target him. Millions of jerks bother me much more than one.

If Biden does win he is going to have an uphill battle with probably everyone of his policy initiatives due to shift of Congress.

It’s true that a lot of people don’t like Trump but I found the idea that they would hand over the keys to the kingdom to the left as pretty laughable in the run up to the election. I’m glad to see that the makeup of Congress reflects that sentiment (I.e. yeah, Trump has gotten go but we ain’t going to make it easy for Biden to get anything done).

2020’s election is not a return to normalcy. Not by a long shot.

That helps if you have time to plan ahead, otherwise you spend valuable time getting new hires up to speed on tasks rather than doing the tasks, which also just wastes time that you don't have in these situations. That doesn't really even address finding someone qualified in time enough to be of use.

Hiring new folks work when we bid on a contract and can project that the workload will be more than we can currently handle. We can then take time to VET candidates before blindly placing them into positions that they may not be prepared for. Even those that are prepared, they do not know our protocols, standards, and workflow. In cases where a deadline that we've already established to be reasonable gets cut drastically, well that becomes all-nighters and weekend gigs (see previous post for those side-effects). We do not have time at that point to train up, supervise, and review new hires' work in those cases when we are given a timeline that we already can't meet with a reasonable workload. Which all kind of goes to my point that something must be cut in order to accommodate shortened timelines.
I deliver samples to the main testing lab in Massachusetts. When the Corona tests starting coming in they couldn't handle it. Part timers became full timers, everyone delayed their vacations, and they brought in people from other labs. When there's more work to be done it's not hard to find a way.

I deliver samples to the main testing lab in Massachusetts. When the Corona tests starting coming in they couldn't handle it. Part timers became full timers, everyone delayed their vacations, and they brought in people from other labs. When there's more work to be done it's not hard to find a way.
Difference being you got paid. I’m fairly certain poll workers do all this work for free.

EDIT: I just checked and yes they do get paid but only for one position. So if stuff gets short handed you cover more work for the same pay.

Difference being you got paid. I’m fairly certain poll workers do all this work for free.

EDIT: I just checked and yes they do get paid but only for one position. So if stuff gets short handed you cover more work for the same pay.
Haha we are actually talking about something completely different.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

All that was about cutting vaccine timelines from a page or so back. I still wouldn't lump together testing samples with trying to invent, safely test, and distribute a vaccine though.

Also it's not like the polls are a full time job for most of them. They have regular jobs, families, and other responsibilities.

Whoever wins, they won't be sworn in until January 20th. As long as everything is sorted well enough in advance of that, I don't see why it matters. People need to just sit tight, wait for the count to be finished, and ignore any premature claims of victory.