Who Will be Our Next President?

Tools    

That's another thing I actually agree with you on. People keep saying "230,000" deaths, but even if they thought Biden could have done better, how much lower do you think it could realistically have been? I think as you say due to the demographics and health factors of Americans, combined with people's far greater propensity towards liberty more than other countries around the world, that there was always inevitably going to be a large number of deaths. In terms of deaths per population. Deaths per capita are not astronomically high and there are countries doing worse where arguments can be made that it should be easier to control.

However, I do think Trump has acted with very little class and decorum around the issue though, regardless of effectiveness I think his cavalier language has been offensive given the very real danger and impact of the virus. Whatever his intentions, comments about masks, his vendetta with Fauci, the way he acted like Superman when he recovered which to me felt demeaning towards others who have been more negatively impacted by it.

Those are the type of things that bothered me personally, but when I see "230,000 deaths on your hands" or whatever it's just a political tactic with very little meaning beyond the slogan. If it was the other way around around Republicans were shouting "150,000 deaths on your hands" at a Democrat leader they would rightfully be fighting annoyed and fight back at it.
I also completely agree with you on his lack of decorum.

You know how he used to say the vaccine would be ready at such and such a time, usually a seemingly ridiculous date that was unattainable? If you think about it, this is actually something that could save thousands of lives.
I should explain what I mean by this. Trump is a businessman, and I'm going to paint you a scenario and tactic that I guarantee that he's used.

Let's say he has a new building going up.

Trump: When will the property be completed and ready to go?

Contractor: January 1st

Trump: That's not good enough, I need it done August 1st.

Contractor: It's not possible.

Trump: Anything is possible, get it done.

Maybe it's not done August 1st, but maybe it's done October 1st, 3 months ahead of schedule.

Now replace the property with a vaccine. He's been naming these companies publicly and putting a lot of pressure on them. Under extreme pressure, people can accomplish things they never dreamt of. What would Joe say? Well man they're working on it and doing the best they can. There's nothing more important for saving lives than the vaccine. Don't rule out the possibility that Trump could be responsible for saving hundreds of thousands of lives, especially when a vaccine can help the entire world.

I heard a brand new example of Trump's racism this morning on Boston radio. Because Trump is putting up a fight with these mail in ballots, and because many black people voted this way, apparently Trump is trying to suppress black people.

I can't believe we got to the point where skin color is supposed to define people instead of the other way around.

You ready? You look ready.
Re politicans and truth: I don't want them to tell me the truth because then the asshat market makers are gunna lose their mind and it'll hurt my investments. So lie away!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Americans~
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I should explain what I mean by this. Trump is a businessman, and I'm going to paint you a scenario and tactic that I guarantee that he's used.

Let's say he has a new building going up.

Trump: When will the property be completed and ready to go?

Contractor: January 1st

Trump: That's not good enough, I need it done August 1st.

Contractor: It's not possible.

Trump: Anything is possible, get it done.

Maybe it's not done August 1st, but maybe it's done October 1st, 3 months ahead of schedule.

Now replace the property with a vaccine. He's been naming these companies publicly and putting a lot of pressure on them. Under extreme pressure, people can accomplish things they never dreamt of. What would Joe say? Well man they're working on it and doing the best they can. There's nothing more important for saving lives than the vaccine. Don't rule out the possibility that Trump could be responsible for saving hundreds of thousands of lives, especially when a vaccine can help the entire world.
Unfortunately, the contractor usually knows more about the labor involved in performing a task than the client demanding it because the contractor does this type of work daily. Sure, there is a buffer in place, sometimes, to accommodate that "what if?" factor if things do not go smoothly, but that's not something that should be assumed 100% of the time. IF deadlines are shortened, then something must be removed from the development workflow. That must be taken from planning, development, quality control, testing, safety standards, or whatever. Something of that list (or all of the above) gets reduced as lower priority to the deadline. People are people, and people get tired, stressed, and rattled and that all can lead to a poorer product, if not a poor product missing something that might have been caught had a more realistic timeline been established. People must cut corners in this situation.

In my experience, "business men" care more about controlling things and proving others wrong than they do about quality or the actual results of the effort.

That's not to undermine pressure completely. I don't mean to stand with a one side or the other posture. But this is what happens and it needs to be represented in any argument like that.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I would be curious as to which Trump lies are the most harmful and make him more dishonest than the average politician. In some ways he is brutally honest, maybe too honest with how he sticks the America first theme in everyone's face.
Yeah, I am 100% not talking about just being blunt or brash (though it's too easy to say "brash" about someone who's really just being awful, and we shouldn't pretend how the President talks doesn't have a significant effect on civility).

I don't wanna hijack this thread but I can send you some privately or something. I'm pretty serious about this. But I wanna say, preemptively, that "most harmful" sounds like it could end up being a bit of an escape hatch here. I'd argue that lying very brazenly over and over is pretty harmful, for example. It's not just about the claim, it's about its proximity to the truth. If you say something very harsh and it is misleading, that's bad, but I'm not sure it's worse than something pretty harsh that is clearly 100% false, and can't even really be spun into maybe-sorta true. Both bad, but for different reasons. And we have a staggering number of examples of that.

I'm also sincere when I say some lies are necessary, and I equate them to sports lies. I remember one time he was talking about China and a reporter asked him what he was going to do. Normally he or another politician would just lie to avoid making waves. This particular time he just said you know you'd be the last person on earth I'd tell. I got a kick out of it. Anyway, I'm wondering about what harmful lies he tells when he could simply tell the truth. I'm not saying it's never happened, I'm just curious.
Yeah, that's definitely not what I'm thinking of, either. In fact that's one of the reasons I'm so put off by it: very often it's just bad mouthing people who were "mean" to him. Just petty grudges, with absolutely no greater good in mind.

Unfortunately, the contractor usually knows more about the labor involved in performing a task than the client demanding it because the contractor does this type of work daily. Sure, there is a buffer in place, sometimes, to accommodate that "what if?" factor and things do not go smoothly, but that's not something that should be assumed 100% of the time. IF deadlines are shortened, then something must be removed from the development workflow. That must be taken from planning, development, quality control, testing, safety standards, or whatever. Something of that list (or all of the above) gets reduced as lower priority to the deadline. People are people, and people get tired, stressed, and rattled and that all can lead to a poorer product, if not a poor product missing something that might have been caught had a more realistic timeline had been established. People must cut corners in this situation.

In my experience, "business men" care more about controlling things and proving others wrong than they do about quality or the actual results of the effort.

That's not to undermine pressure completely. I don't mean to stand with a one side or the other posture. But this is what happens and it needs to be represented in any argument like that.
Hire more people?

Yeah, I am 100% not talking about just being blunt or brash (though it's too easy to say "brash" about someone who's really just being awful, and we shouldn't pretend how the President talks doesn't have a significant effect on civility).

I don't wanna hijack this thread but I can send you some privately or something. I'm pretty serious about this. But I wanna say, preemptively, that "most harmful" sounds like it could end up being a bit of an escape hatch here. I'd argue that lying very brazenly over and over is pretty harmful, for example. It's not just about the claim, it's about its proximity to the truth. If you say something very harsh and it is misleading, that's bad, but I'm not sure it's worse than something pretty harsh that is clearly 100% false, and can't even really be spun into maybe-sorta true. Both bad, but for different reasons. And we have a staggering number of examples of that.
I get you and at this point I don't trust either side or the media to tell the truth. What I'm most concerned with is the effect of the lie. Are people intentionally lying and some harm is the direct result. I gave an example of lies coming from the Democrats that are harmful and if Trump does or did it I'd be equally as critical.

The President owes transparency to people during a public health crisis, and that was not there. We have him on tape admitting he was downplaying it. And he said many things one week implying it was no big deal, and then saying he was ahead of other people knowing it was a problem shortly after, which is just a lie any way you slice it. And not one that serves any public health purpose: it serves only to save face.

This is not interpretation or opinion: it's all on the record, which means anyone can find it if they look.

"Maybe he was just wrong" is not much of a defense when we know exactly what he was told and can see for ourselves he had experts around him telling him it was a problem, and was not going away, and he just sort of insisted it would anyway. At a certain point you're being so stubborn, so arrogant, so dismissive of expert opinion, that you are choosing to be wrong. And if you wanna parse that and say it was just massive incompetence rather than a lie, fine. Either way it's unacceptable.

I get you and at this point I don't trust either side or the media to tell the truth. What I'm most concerned with is the effect of the lie. Are people intentionally lying and some harm is the direct result. I gave an example of lies coming from the Democrats that are harmful and if Trump does or did it I'd be equally as critical.
I think the question is why someone would be aware of one and not the other to begin with. It's all there for people to find. Why haven't they?

I'm not saying it's someone's job to know everything, but I am saying that what makes someone partisan is not that they're just wrong about things, or believe false things (though that obviously happens), but that they choose to focus on some things and not others. They put time and effort and thought into debunking and deconstructing one false statement, but never go looking for the other ones. It's pretty easy to feel like one side is a lot worse if that's the only side being Googled and critiqued, but choosing to do that more for one than another is, itself, a choice, and reflects perhaps what the person wants to be true.

The hardest thing to do is to be fact-checking the side we're sympathetic to. It's harder to muster enthusiasm for that kind of thing, I admit, and we will never be as diligent about it as our critics. But we have to try.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Hire more people?
That helps if you have time to plan ahead, otherwise you spend valuable time getting new hires up to speed on tasks rather than doing the tasks, which also just wastes time that you don't have in these situations. That doesn't really even address finding someone qualified in time enough to be of use.

Hiring new folks work when we bid on a contract and can project that the workload will be more than we can currently handle. We can then take time to VET candidates before blindly placing them into positions that they may not be prepared for. Even those that are prepared, they do not know our protocols, standards, and workflow. In cases where a deadline that we've already established to be reasonable gets cut drastically, well that becomes all-nighters and weekend gigs (see previous post for those side-effects). We do not have time at that point to train up, supervise, and review new hires' work in those cases when we are given a timeline that we already can't meet with a reasonable workload. Which all kind of goes to my point that something must be cut in order to accommodate shortened timelines.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
When's the next state due to give results? Does anyone have a rough timeline of when results should come in? thanks

No, but in PA my county has about 35,000 mail ballots uncounted and they're not counting them until Friday. It's not even clear why. I think they're really just not setup to have to do this much hand counting this fast, and they can't just bring in new and untrusted people easily or safely. Accuracy matters more than speed, since we all just want a result faster but don't need one.

Anyway, my best guess is we get a real call for Biden tomorrow.

Accuracy matters more than speed, since we all just want a result faster but don't need one.
This is true, but it's almost like saying to a person: "Accuracy matters here... Haven't made up my mind on how to administer this poison... but trust me, the way in which you die matters to me... accuracy 'matters'..."

The suspense in how I'm dying is worse than the process of dying itself! I just want this election to be over with...
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

The one thing that is certain after Tuesday night is that a lot of states are still a complete **** show when it comes to counting ballots. Can't believe this is the case but Florida (FLORIDA!?!) should be the model for every other state. Mail in ballots should be counted as soon as they start coming in. None of this letting them sit around for weeks/months then waiting three or four days after the election to get everything counted. Doing that just allows conspiracy theories to run rampant which doesn't do any good for anybody. No matter the outcome, half the country is going to cry foul which makes for some good TV.

I've been somewhat "out of the loop" in regards to national and international affairs in recent years... but just a quick observation, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like America is a real "Odd-Duck." Maybe not as backwards as some nations, but... wow... Heck I live in California. I went through the "Mary Carey, Gary Coleman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, etc."-type election before the nation had "The Apprentice" as President... but again... wow...

You ready? You look ready.
America's greatest export is speed, so anytime we take longer than a hot minute to do something people get funny. I can only imagine what it must be like for an outsider looking in.

"America, ain't they the ones that cook their burgers in less than a minute?"

A system of cells interlinked
America's greatest export is speed, so anytime we take longer than a hot minute to do something people get funny. I can only imagine what it must be like for an outsider looking in.