Guardians of the Galaxy II

Tools    

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
release date: May 5, 2017

'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Officially Coming On July 28, 2017

The Huffington Post | By Christopher Rosen

Posted: 07/26/2014 11:54 pm EDT Updated: 07/26/2014 11:59 pm EDT

This month, Marvel Studios announced plans to add six films to its always expanding slate of features. It was expected that the studio would perhaps announce a few of those titles during its Comic-Con presentation on Saturday night, but only one name was revealed: "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" will arrive on July 28, 2017. James Gunn will return to write and direct the sequel, which follows next week's "Guardians of the Galaxy."

As for the rest of the Marvel schedule, "Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron" is out on May 1, 2015. Peyton Reed's "Ant-Man" arrives two months later, on July 17, 2015. "Captain America 3" comes next on May 6, 2016. After that and excluding "Guardians 2," there are seven unnamed or unannounced films on the calendar: July 8, 2016, May 5, 2017, Nov. 3, 2017, May 4, 2018, July 6, 2018, Nov. 2, 2018 and May 3, 2019. ("Doctor Strange" is expected to arrive on that July 8, 2016 slot, but Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige made no reference to the film during the Comic-Con panel despite rumors that Joaquin Phoenix would be announced as star of the film during the event.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5624122.html

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2: How Marvel Reacted To James Gunn's Pitch

By Adam Holmes

After the critical and commercial success of Guardians of the Galaxy last year, it’s no wonder that Marvel Studios brought back James Gunn to not only direct the sequel, but write the screenplay as well. With the film several years away, there’s still not much we know about what’s in store for the band of rogue adventurers outside of some minor revelations. However, one surprising element that we can expect from the 2017 follow-up is that it won’t be based on a specific storyline from the comics, and to Marvel, this could be a risky development.

While appearing on the podcast Alison Rosen Is Your New Best Friend (via Uproxx), Gunn revealed that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be an original story that he worked on while directing the first movie. The sequel will answer key questions and introduce new characters who will be important to the series, but even with his experience, Marvel had their concerns.
It’s different than what’s in the comic books. Peter Quill’s father is somebody different in the comics. So then when the movie came out, we got green-lit on the sequel right away. I went in and I sat down with those guys and I’m like, ‘Okay, here’s what I think the sequel should be.’ And they were like, ‘Oh, whoa. That’s risky, but okay.’ Now I’m going to turn over the story in a few short weeks and we’ll find out how well it works.
Considering that Marvel greenlit the first movie, whose main characters included a anthropomorphic tree and talking raccoon, the definition of "risky" is relative at this point. Gunn has mentioned on previous occasions that Star-Lord’s father will not be J’Son of Spartax as he is in the comics, making the identity change one of the bigger continuity changes in the MCU. Although the best comic book movies remain faithful to the source material, it’s their nature to make alterations here and there for the moviegoing audience. What may work on the pages of a comic book may not translate well on film, whether it’s pacing, character history, how a costume looks, etc, so Gunn wanting to deviate slightly from the comic books may be for the best. It sounds like, despite their reservations, Marvel has faith in him, but they’ll know for sure once he turns in his first draft of Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

To be fair, it’s not unreasonable for Marvel (and fans) to get anxious when they hear about comic book movies not following the source material, at least to a degree. The Fantastic Four director Josh Trank made a similar statement when he told Kata Mara that the plot of the reboot would not be based anything already published. The difference here is that Gunn has the success of Guardians of the Galaxy under his belt. He has proven that he understands these characters and can deliver a good product. As long as he remains true to the spirit of this property, then having an original story shouldn’t be a problem…just as long as as nothing too crazy happens like Rocket and Groot separating from the rest of the team to form their own folk duo. Actually, scratch that, I kind of want to see that.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be released on May 5, 2017.

article

No need to request a thread title change. The official sequel title is "Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. II.

release date: May 5, 2017

'Guardians Of The Galaxy 2' Officially Coming On July 28, 2017

The Huffington Post | By Christopher Rosen

Posted: 07/26/2014 11:54 pm EDT Updated: 07/26/2014 11:59 pm EDT

This month, Marvel Studios announced plans to add six films to its always expanding slate of features. It was expected that the studio would perhaps announce a few of those titles during its Comic-Con presentation on Saturday night, but only one name was revealed: "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" will arrive on July 28, 2017. James Gunn will return to write and direct the sequel, which follows next week's "Guardians of the Galaxy."

As for the rest of the Marvel schedule, "Marvel's The Avengers: Age of Ultron" is out on May 1, 2015. Peyton Reed's "Ant-Man" arrives two months later, on July 17, 2015. "Captain America 3" comes next on May 6, 2016. After that and excluding "Guardians 2," there are seven unnamed or unannounced films on the calendar: July 8, 2016, May 5, 2017, Nov. 3, 2017, May 4, 2018, July 6, 2018, Nov. 2, 2018 and May 3, 2019. ("Doctor Strange" is expected to arrive on that July 8, 2016 slot, but Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige made no reference to the film during the Comic-Con panel despite rumors that Joaquin Phoenix would be announced as star of the film during the event.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5624122.html
I wonder how this will work when Pratt gets popular with maybe JP sequel or maybe even being rumored Young Indiana Jones. I think they best ink Pratt too a long multi picture deal.

He has a multi-film deal, I haven't seen the specifics posted. It has to be more than 3 because of GotG II and the Infinity Wars movies.

Who? Pratt? Chris Pratt isn't in the Infinity War double feature films.
I missed seeing who was and wasn't in it. I assumed most mcu characters would be in it.

I dug the first one, one of the finest comic book and sci-fi adventures in recent memory thanks to a great script that is witty, a sense of sense, great soundtrack and not to mention reminds me of Star Wars, Star Trek, Heavy Metal, The Fifth Element and Firefly. The sequel might be even better.

Hope Howard The Duck does another cameo.

Of course. It was the best Marvel movie made to date.

I think I should watch Guardians of the Galaxy 1 before this is released.. I am going to watch it this weekend.

According to a bunch of sources, it is reported that the Father of Peter Jason Quill will be none other than...

WARNING: "GOTG: Volume II" spoilers below
Captain Marvel

Though I don't get this rumor, since the person is portrayed by the opposite sex in the MCU.

Was really looking forward to you posting something I could read.

According to a bunch of sources, it is reported that the Father of Peter Jason Quill will be none other than...

WARNING: "GOTG: Volume II" spoilers below
Captain Marvel

Though I don't get this rumor, since the person is portrayed by the opposite sex in the MCU.
James Gunn denied it within an hour. Highly doubt that's happening.

Was really looking forward to you posting something I could read.
Can you read this? lol
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm going to try and go black on this like Ep. VII.