The Favourite

Tools    

The trailer of Yorgos Lanthimos' new film, The Favourite, has been released:

Early 18th century. England is at war with the French. Nevertheless, duck racing and pineapple eating are thriving. A frail Queen Anne (Olivia Colman) occupies the throne and her close friend Lady Sarah (Rachel Weisz) governs the country in her stead while tending to Anne’s ill health and mercurial temper. When a new servant Abigail (Emma Stone) arrives, her charm endears her to Sarah. Sarah takes Abigail under her wing and Abigail sees a chance at a return to her aristocratic roots. As the politics of war become quite time consuming for Sarah, Abigail steps into the breach to fill in as the Queen’s companion. Their burgeoning friendship gives her a chance to fulfil her ambitions and she will not let woman, man, politics or rabbit stand in her way.

Yorgos Lanthimos is slowly becoming one of the most important cinematic minds of our times. In the last few years he's been remarkably productive, directing high quality films like The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

What do you think of the trailer? Are you looking forward to his next film(s)? What do you think of his former work?

This might just do nobody any good.
Though amusing, I can’t say I’ve really liked anything he’s done since Dogtooth. I’m not really expecting anything else here, his own shtick getting in the way of the narrative.

I would like to be wrong, tho. He’s obviously a very talented filmmaker and satirist and, who knows, the 18th Century might prove perfect for “human behavior, without the human.”

I'v enjoyed everything he's done so far(well haven't seen his debut but from Dogtooth onwards) yet still I did think Killing of a Sacred Deer was the natural end to that style taking it as a far as possible so somewhat of a new direction is welcome, Coleman looks excellent in this as well.

Looks like he's slowly working his way though Kurbick's filmography with the dark comedy turned up to 11, Scared Deer had a lot on The Shinning to it and this looks very Barry Lyndon like.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My wife and daughter went to a sneak preview of this just after the first trailer was released. It wasn't complete and needed some sound and music. They filled out lengthy questionnaires about what was needed and how to accomplish it.

This might just do nobody any good.
Looks like he's slowly working his way though Kurbick's filmography with the dark comedy turned up to 11, Scared Deer had a lot on The Shinning to it and this looks very Barry Lyndon like.
He’s got his work cut out for him once he gets to Space Odyssey.

Unregistered User
My wife and daughter went to a sneak preview of this just after the first trailer was released. It wasn't complete and needed some sound and music. They filled out lengthy questionnaires about what was needed and how to accomplish it.

What did they think of it?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
They thought it still had deadpan parts but was more blatantly funny. The cinematography (including fisheye lens), sets and costumes were gorgeous. The ending was semi-predictable but odd in the actual filming and editing.- they thought that might be redone somehow. They both liked it.

In the last few years he's been remarkably productive, directing high quality films like The Lobster and The Killing of a Sacred Deer.
You didn’t mention Dogtooth - a brilliant movie. I love his work.

They thought it still had deadpan parts but was more blatantly funny. The cinematography (including fisheye lens), sets and costumes were gorgeous. The ending was semi-predictable but odd in the actual filming and editing.- they thought that might be redone somehow. They both liked it.
Actually, I didn't say the ending was predictable, just that I thought as it was happening that this must be the last scene, even though it's an odd scene to end a movie on.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Like father, like daughter!
Like lawn, like Swan!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hello Cobpyth. I saw the trailer you share. It looks so interesting that surely I try to see this movie in the coming weekend. Rest about reviews, I will share my review on this after watching this movie.

I loved The Favourite. Very cuttingly funny dialogue and beautifully rounded characters. Gorgeous sets and costumes. As well as being bitchy and funny, it was also actually full of pathos too. All three women were fantastic - Olivia Coleman, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, but Olivia Coleman is such a subtle actor - the range of emotions that she puts Queen Anne through is brilliant.
Camerawork is so good too - genius use of fisheye lens. Hatfield House looks gorgeous.
Loved it and recommend it.

This premieres here in Denmark later this month. I grabbed the press screening for it. Going on the 21st... my birthday.

I haven’t outright enjoyed a film by this director yet, but always find him fascinating. This looks good though. Let’s see...