Criterion Collection

Tools    

yikes...this makes me think about how much money Ive ALREADY spend on DVD's...eeeeek

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I only own Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Alphaville, Videodrome and...oh, I think that's it.

I'm planning on getting 8 1/2, La Strada, High & Low (all of which I own "regular" versions of) and that Kurosawa box set (have only seen Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress of that set).

Hey! So, I love the criterion collection as much as anybody, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there has the same misgivings about it lately as I do.
For one thing, they sure releasing a LOT of movies lately. It seems that every couple of weeks, a few new titles get released, which I think is fantastic, especially since now that they've exhausted more of the better known classics, they're digging deeper into the more obscure stuff (as many DVD production companies are doing these days, I suppose), but sometimes I wonder if all of this stuff is really that important, or classic. I mean, there are the obvious ones like Armageddon, The Rock, the Beastie Boys Video Anthology, and Chasing Amy, which are more or less a mystery to me. But also, I feel that they also make some pretty odd choices that aren't patently silly. For example, the fact that the last three (which means all but one) of Wes Anderson's movies got not only Criterion releases, but pretty much instantaeous Criterion releases. Shouldn't there be some sort of non-Criterion dvd out there of The Life Aquatic? The movie's fun, and all, but how important is this movie, really? Is the Darjeeling Limited going to be released right onto Criterion also? I definitely am very excited about several of their latest releases, like "If...," "Night on Earth," "Mala Noche," and "Solo con tu pareja." But, do we really need these sorts of what seems to me like unneccessary attention paid, sometimes to movies that already exist on dvd, when there are so many wonderful movies that have barely gotten vhs releases, let alone dvd. It seems like a kind of crime that The Royal Tennenbaums would get an instantaneous release and House of Games will get a the Criterion treatment even with a DVD of it already existing, while films like "Red Desert" barely exist on tape....
Anyone else have any confusion as to the Criterion gang's decisions in the past few years?

How do they deliver that? Through the post?