Criterion Collection

Tools    

Yeah, somehow I haven't yet acquired 81/2. Just an oversight of circumstance. I'll correct it one day. I did buy it as a gift for somebody once...damn, what was I thinking? I should have kept it! It's a good two-disc set of a great movie.

The discs I got for Christmas gifts this year were Rififi, I Vitelloni, Fanny & Alexander (boxed set with the theatrical and TV versions as well as a third supplemental disc), The Lower Depths (Renoir & Kurosawa versions) and Short Cuts - the last of which I couldn't resist even though I have it on LaserDisc too (a few new supplements on the DVD I just had to have).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Zzat
I'm considering ordering (d. Federico Fellini), anyone recommend it?
Yes, definately. But as far as Fellini films are concerned, I prefered La Strada and Amarcord over , but as a DVD itself, is the best one.

Do you know my poetry?
Just thought I'd put a wishlist for the next Criterion DVD's I'm hoping to get in the next few months:
Schizopolis
Kagemusha
Jules and Jim
Fighting Elegy
Fanny and Alexander
A Story of Floating Weeds/Floating Weeds
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel Box-Set
Contempt
Red Beard
Wrong Men & Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers Box-Set

I am a glorified ape.
I love the movie Crash. I just bought the DVD. I noticed that Criterion released this movie on LD but not on DVD
Oh well.

I must become Caligari..!
I own...

and i think i will buy M, Gimmie Shelter and Withnail & I in the comming days.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I did finally pick up 81/2 in recent weeks, as well as the new discs of My Own Private Idaho and Jules Dassin's Night & the City and Theives' Highway. Plus a couple older ones too. I've updated me list.

A system of cells interlinked
Night and the City....I really want to see this. My next to criterion purchases will be

Renoir's The Rules of the Game

Tarkovsky's Solaris

Tuesday I'll be scooping up The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Burden of Dreams and Hoop Dreams of course, and recently I've aquired F for Fake, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Tunes of Glory, Sword of Doom and Youth of the Beast.

id love to have that but there is no way im paying for it,maybe i will find someone who has and copy copy copy

Do you know my poetry?

Just got these two today, and here's my revised list of Criterion films:

(d. Federico Fellini - 1963)
The 39 Steps (d. Alfred Hitchcock - 1935)
The Adventures of Antoine Doinel (Which includes the following films: The 400 Blows (d. François Truffaut - 1959), Stolen Kisses (d. François Truffaut - 1968), Bed and Board (d. François Truffaut - 1970), and Love on the Run (d. François Truffaut - 1979) )
Amarcord (d. Federico Fellini - 1973)
Andrei Rublev (d. Andrei Tarkovsky - 1969)
Band of Outsiders (d. Jean-Luc Godard - 1964)
The Battle of Algiers (d. Gillo Pontecorvo - 1965)
Brazil (d. Terry Gilliam - 1985)
Chasing Amy (d. Kevin Smith - 1997)
Contempt (d. Jean-Luc Godard - 1963)
Do the Right Thing (d. Spike Lee - 1989)
Down by Law (d. Jim Jarmusch - 1986)
Early Summer (d. Yasujiro Ozu - 1951)
Eisenstein: The Sound Years (Which includes the following films: Alexander Nevsky (d. Sergei M. Eisenstein & Dmitri Vasilyev - 1938), Ivan the Terrible, Part 1 (d. Sergei M. Eisenstein - 1945), and Ivan the Terrible, Part 2 (d. Sergei M. Eisenstein & M. Filimonova) )
Eyes Without a Face (d. Georges Franju - 1959)
Fanny and Alexander (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1982)
A Film Trilogy by Ingmar Bergman (Which Includes the following films: Through a Glass Darkly (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1961), Winter Light (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1962), and The Silence (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1963) )
Grand Illusion (d. Jean Renoir - 1937)
The Hidden Fortress (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1958)
Ikiru (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1952)
John Cassavetes: Five Films (Which includes the following films: Shadows (1959), Faces (1968), A Woman Under the Influence (1974), The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976), and Opening Night (1977) )
Jules and Jim (d. François Truffaut - 1962)
Kagemusha (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1980)
The Lady Eve (d. Preston Sturges - 1941)
The Lady Vanishes (d. Alfred Hitchcock - 1938)
La Strada (d. Federico Fellini - 1954)
Le Cercle rouge (d. Jean-Pierre Melville - 1970)
Mamma Roma (d. Pier Paolo Pasolini - 1962)
Man Bites Dog (d. Rémy Belvaux, André Bonzel & Benoît Poelvoorde - 1992)
Notorious (d. Alfred Hitchcock - 1946)
Peeping Tom (d. Michael Powell - 1960)
Rashômon (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1950)
Rebecca (d. Alfred Hitchcock - 1940)
Red Beard (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1965)
The Royal Tenenbaums (d. Wes Anderson - 2001)
The Rules of the Game (d. Jean Renoir - 1939)
Rushmore (d. Wes Anderson - 1998)
Sanjuro (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1962)
Scenes from a Marriage (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1973)
Seven Samurai (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1954)
Slacker (d. Richard Linklater - 1991)
Solaris (d. Andrei Tarkovsky - 1972)
Spellbound (d. Alfred Hitchcock - 1945)
Smiles of a Summer Night (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1955)
A Story of Floating Weeds (d. Yasujiro Ozu - 1934) / Floating Weeds (d. Yasujiro Ozu - 1959)
Throne of Blood (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1957)
Tokyo Story (d. Yasujiro Ozu - 1953)
Walkabout (d. Nicolas Roeg - 1971)
Wild Strawberries (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1957)
A Woman Is a Woman (d. Jean-Luc Godard - 1961)
Yojimbo (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1961)

Wow... i know my collection isn't all Criterion quality, but if i sold my collection of DVDs (i have probably more than the criterion collection 2004) i wonder if i could get 5200 for it

"There was me, that is Alex, and my three droogs, that is Pete, Georgie, and Dim, and we sat in the Korova Milkbar trying to make up our rassoodocks what to do with the evening. The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultra-violence." Alex (A Clockwork Orange)

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I just bought one today. The only one I have: The Royal Tenenbaums

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Strummer521
I just bought one today.
Me too!

I found...

Half man, half machine
Here are the Criterions that I own.

The Royal Tenenbaums, Chasing Amy, , The Silence of the Lambs, Notorious, Peeping Tom, Tanner ‘88, Short Cuts, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Band of Outsiders, Rashomon, Black Narcissus, Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, M, The Third Man, The Red Shoes, Pickup on South Street, 'The Adventures of Antoine Dionel' (The 400 Blows, Antoine & Colette, Stolen Kisses, Love on the Run, Bed and Board), Jules and Jim, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, F for Fake, The Rules of the Game, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Rebecca, Straw Dogs, The River, The Lady Eve, Unfaithfully Yours, The Blob, Ikiru, Mon Oncle, I Vitelloni, Nights of Cabiria, Cleo from 5 to 7, The Passion of Joan of Arc, and Contempt.

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

"Your intellect may be confused, but your emotions will never lie to you." - Roger Ebert

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by MovieDan82
Here are the Criterions that I own.

The Royal Tenenbaums, Chasing Amy, , The Silence of the Lambs, Notorious, Peeping Tom, Tanner ‘88, Short Cuts, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Band of Outsiders, Rashomon, Black Narcissus, Throne of Blood, Seven Samurai, M, The Third Man, The Red Shoes, Pickup on South Street, 'The Adventures of Antoine Dionel' (The 400 Blows, Antoine & Colette, Stolen Kisses, Love on the Run, Bed and Board), Jules and Jim, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, F for Fake, The Rules of the Game, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Rebecca, Straw Dogs, The River, The Lady Eve, Unfaithfully Yours, The Blob, Ikiru, Mon Oncle, I Vitelloni, Nights of Cabiria, Cleo from 5 to 7, The Passion of Joan of Arc, and Contempt.
Cool! I want your copy of The Silence of the Lambs. I got the Mott's

Taking care of planet Earth
Not got so many, I have to get them shipped over from the USA to Blighty. I find myself wandering around UK stores and just buying lots of "normal" dvds here.

I have got:

Armageddon (for the wife, not me. I decided if she wanted it I would at least get the CC edition)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Shock Corridor
The Life Aquatic
Naked Lunch
The Last Temptation of Christ

Waiting for the Cassavetes boxset to arrive.

Taking care of planet Earth
I now also have Seven Samurai and Robocop to add to my list above. I am trying to get a copy of Straw Dogs but aren't too keen on paying silly Ebay prices for it.

**edit**

Got it now

I love their dvds...sadly I own like 7.

I wish I could afford more....

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
I don't have many but here's my small collection of Criterion DVDs:

The Royal Tenenbaums
Slacker
Chasing Amy
Beastie Boys: Video Anthology
Tokyo Drifter
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."