Criterion Collection

Tools    

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
They should knock off a couple of G's for that. No?
No. As they are out-of-print, they'd have to add a couple G's if all the OOP titles were included too. They sell for hundreds of dollars each on eBay and the like.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Finding and spending the money to buy that isn't as much of an issue as finding and spending the time to watch it all is.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Crazy.

I only own three from them, Rebecca and Straw Dogs, which are both out of print and Contempt.

Holden once explained to me why each Criterion DVD was so expensive, because they have to buy the rights to distribute the films from the studios, but still $30-$40 for one movie is too much. Unless of course you find them cheaper, usually from ebay.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

These are the Criterion DVDs I already own (I think it's a complete list)...

Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Spartacus, 3 Women, Traffic, Schizopolis, The Naked Kiss, Shock Corridor, Pickup on South Street, The Element of Crime, Sullivan’s Travels, The Lady Eve, Rashomon, The Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Red Beard, Sanjuro, Ikiru, Stray Dog, The Adventures of Antoine Dionel boxed set, Do the Right Thing, Band of Outsiders, Contempt, A Woman is a Woman, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Rules of the Game, Bob le Flambeur, Le Circle Rouge, The Battle of Algiers, Silence of the Lambs, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Straw Dogs, Kwaidan, Carl Th. Dreyer boxed set, The Leopard, Solaris, Andrei Rublev, Loves of a Blonde, The Fireman’s Ball, The Vanishing, Insomnia, The Seventh Seal, Big Deal on Madonna Street, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Cleo from 5 to 7, Diabolique, Man Bites Dog, The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, The Ruling Class, Naked Lunch, Videodrome, The Long Good Friday, Mona Lisa, The Honeymoon Killers, The Killers (1946 & 1964), The Third Man, Hopscotch, Charade, My Man Godfrey, The Devil & Daniel Webster, Down by Law, The Horse’s Mouth, Gimme Shelter The Complete Monterey Pop Festival, ”Fishing with John”, Hearts & Minds, Grey Gardens, The Indiscretion of an American Wife/Terminal Station, All That Heaven Allows, The Unbearable Lightness of Being and the John Cassavetes boxed set.

And that's not even counting all the Criterion Colection LDs I have...

SE7EN, The Game, BladeRunner, Notorious, Rebecca, Lolita, Secret Honor, "Tanner '88", The Player, Short Cuts, Trainspotting, Crash, Peeping Tom, BlowUp, Breaking the Waves, Damage, Shine, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Bodies Rest & Motion, Five Corners, The Return of Martin Guerre, SuperCop, The Asphalt Jungle, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese through American Movies, Stranger Than Paradise, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Time Bandits, Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Fisher King, This Is Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride, Yojimbo, High & Low, Dodes ka-den, Oliver Twist, Ghostbusters, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Chasing Amy, Boogie Nights, Silverado and Sling Blade

So I don't think I'll be buying the set from Amazon.

A system of cells interlinked
I have a number of CC releases, but nothing like this set, or Holden's magnificent collection... Holden, what were your thoughts on the Renoir film's quality? I have this on my wish list but I keep waffling on whether to get it or not...

Originally Posted by Sedai
Holden, what were your thoughts on the Renoir film's quality? I have this on my wish list but I keep waffling on whether to get it or not...

I haven't purchased The Grand Illusion, so I can't attest to its quality (though I have rented it before, and I don't recall being unimpressed by the transfer), but The Rules of the Game is fantastic, and is also a gi-normous 2-disc package with lots of great extras. It's a must-have.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I haven't purchased The Grand Illusion, so I can't attest to its quality (though I have rented it before, and I don't recall being unimpressed by the transfer), but The Rules of the Game is fantastic, and is also a gi-normous 2-disc package with lots of great extras. It's a must-have.

Yes, that's the one I had in my mitts the other day... Looked like a great set, but most CC sets are...I guess I shall pick it up next time.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
These are the Criterion DVDs I already own (I think it's a complete list)...

...The Indiscretion of an American Wife/Terminal Station...

And that's not even counting all the Criterion Colection LDs I have...

... Boogie Nights ...

So I don't think I'll be buying the set from Amazon.
How is Terminal Station ? I've just seen the short 70 minute version on TCM one night, loved it though.

And whaaaaa???? you own a *gasp* PTA film ??!!!!!

Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms
How is Terminal Station ? I've just seen the short 70 minute version on TCM one night, loved it though.
Di Sica's cut (Terminal Station) is much better than Selznick's (Indescretion of an American Wife). Selznick's version completely excises the emotional core of Jennifer Jones' character. If you liked the short version (73 mins.), you have to see Di Sica's (89 mins.). Fifteen minutes cut out of a film that isn't quite an hour and a half long to begin with is actually quite drastic. Especially the choices Selznick made.

Originally Posted by viddy
And whaaaaa???? you own a *gasp* PTA film ??!!!!!
Two. I also have Punch-Drunk Love on DVD.

FYI

Over at the Criterion Collection's own website, www.criteriondvd.com, they're having a special sale of four of their OOP titles - while supplies last: Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious and Straw Dogs.

good lord

Maybe if I could choose what I am getting. I think I would just stick with one of those buy 10 movies for a penny deals.

Originally Posted by gummo
good lord

Maybe if I could choose what I am getting. I think I would just stick with one of those buy 10 movies for a penny deals.

You can choose what you want...out of the Criterion Collection. With the 10 for a penny deal, you get such classics as Legally Blonde II, and The Santa Clause IX.

Originally Posted by Sedai
You can choose what you want...out of the Criterion Collection. With the 10 for a penny deal, you get such classics as Legally Blonde II, and The Santa Clause IX.
Oh can you? Then that would be alright. Legally Blonde and Santa Claus hehehe

I don't feel like starting a new thread so. I'll begin the question here.

What Criterion dvds do you have?

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Zzat
What Criterion dvds do you have?
(d. Federico Fellini - 1963)
Amarcord (d. Federico Fellini - 1973)
Andrei Rublev (d. Andrei Tarkovsky - 1969)
Band of Outsiders (d. Jean-Luc Godard - 1964)
The Battle of Algiers (d. Gillo Pontecorvo - 1965)
Brazil (d. Terry Gilliam - 1985)
Chasing Amy (d. Kevin Smith - 1997)
Do the Right Thing (d. Spike Lee - 1989)
Eisenstein: The Sound Years (Which includes the following films: Alexander Nevsky (d. Sergei M. Eisenstein & Dmitri Vasilyev - 1938), Ivan the Terrible, Part 1 (d. Sergei M. Eisenstein - 1945), and Ivan the Terrible, Part 2 (d. Sergei M. Eisenstein & M. Filimonova) )
Grand Illusion (d. Jean Renoir - 1937)
The Hidden Fortress (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1958)
Ikiru (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1952)
John Cassavetes: Five Films (Which includes the following films: Shadows (1959), Faces (1968), A Woman Under the Influence (1974), The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976), and Opening Night (1977) )
La Strada (d. Federico Fellini - 1954)
Man Bites Dog (d. Rémy Belvaux, André Bonzel & Benoît Poelvoorde - 1992)
Peeping Tom (d. Michael Powell - 1960)
Rashômon (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1950)
The Royal Tenenbaums (d. Wes Anderson - 2001)
The Rules of the Game (d. Jean Renoir - 1939)
Rushmore (d. Wes Anderson - 1998)
Sanjuro (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1962)
Seven Samurai (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1954)
Slacker (d. Richard Linklater - 1991)
Solaris (d. Andrei Tarkovsky - 1972)
Throne of Blood (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1957)
Tokyo Story (d. Yasujiro Ozu - 1953)
Wild Strawberries (d. Ingmar Bergman - 1957)
A Woman Is a Woman (d. Jean-Luc Godard - 1961)
Yojimbo (d. Akira Kurosawa - 1961)

Well, I already listed them in this thread, but since I got a bunch more for Christmas, my updated list is...

Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Spartacus, 3 Women, Short Cuts, Traffic, Schizopolis, The Naked Kiss, Shock Corridor, Pickup on South Street, Pickpocket, The Element of Crime, Sullivan’s Travels, The Lady Eve, Rashômon, The Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Red Beard, Sanjuro, Ikiru, Stray Dog, RAN, The Lower Depths (1936 & 1957), Kwaidan, Samurai Rebellion, Sword of the Beast, Samurai Spy, Kill!, Sword of Doom, The Adventures of Antoine Dionel boxed set (The 400 Blows, Stolen Kisses, Bed & Board, Love on the Run and "Antione & Colette"), Do the Right Thing, Band of Outsiders, Contempt, A Woman is a Woman, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Rules of the Game, Grand Illusion, Bob le Flambeur, Le Circle Rouge, Le Samouraï, The Battle of Algiers, Silence of the Lambs, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Walkabout, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Bad Timing, Straw Dogs, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carl Th. Dreyer boxed set (Ordet, Gertrud, Day of Wrath and My Métier), The Leopard, Solaris, Andrei Rublev, Loves of a Blonde, The Fireman’s Ball, The Vanishing, Insomnia, The Seventh Seal, Heaven Can Wait (1943), Big Deal on Madonna Street, Umberto D., In the Mood for Love, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Cleo from 5 to 7, Diabolique, Wages of Fear, Man Bites Dog, Tunes of Glory, The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp, I Know Where I'm Going, The Ruling Class, Naked Lunch, Videodrome, Fat Girl, Naked, The Long Good Friday, Street Mobster, Youth of the Beast, Mona Lisa, Night & the City, Thieves' Highway, The Honeymoon Killers, The Killers (1946 & 1964), The Third Man, Hopscotch, Rififi, Charade, My Man Godfrey, The Devil & Daniel Webster, Down by Law, The Horse’s Mouth, Withnail & I, I Vitelloni, 81/2, Scenes from a Marriage, Fanny & Alexander (theatrical & TV versions), Gimme Shelter, The Complete Monterey Pop Festival, "Fishing with John", Hearts & Minds, Hoop Dreams, Burden of Dreams, Grey Gardens, The Indiscretion of an American Wife/Terminal Station, All That Heaven Allows, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, My Own Private Idaho, F for Fake and the John Cassavetes boxed set (Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Opening Night and A Constant Forge).

And my Criterion Colection LDs...

SE7EN, The Game, BladeRunner, Notorious, Rebecca, Lolita, Secret Honor, "Tanner '88", The Player, Short Cuts, Trainspotting, Crash, Peeping Tom, BlowUp, Breaking the Waves, Damage, Shine, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Bodies Rest & Motion, Five Corners, The Return of Martin Guerre, SuperCop, The Asphalt Jungle, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese through American Movies, Stranger Than Paradise, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Time Bandits, Brazil, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The Fisher King, This Is Spinal Tap, The Princess Bride, Yojimbo, High & Low, Dodes'ka-den, Oliver Twist, Ghostbusters, How to Get Ahead in Advertising, Chasing Amy, Boogie Nights, Silverado and Sling Blade

I believe that's complete.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Oh, $5,000, eh? Let me go pull off some 20's and 10's off the ol' money tree...

or you can just bend over and I can pull out.

Whichever you prefer.

Let's be honest: Who in (Insert your religous god's name here)'s name would buy this? And let's be practical on this one. There's only certain films I like from them; I wouldn't waste my well-earned money on that. Sorry, but that's just me.

Do you know my poetry?
The Adventures of Antoine Dionel boxed set (The 400 Blows, Stolen Kisses, Bed & Board, Love on the Run and "Antione & Colette").
Does the Box-set actually include The 400 Blows, because it's an Out of Print title, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Does the Box-set actually include The 400 Blows, because it's an Out of Print title, isn't it?
Their original disc of The 400 Blows is out-of-print. But yes, it is included in the Doinel boxed set. As I said. As are all the other films I mentioned. Plus an extra disc that has an 18-minute Truffaut short called "Les Mistons" (The Mischief Makers) that preceeds 400 Blows by a couple years, and "Working with François Truffaut" a 2003 44-minute documentary that includes interviews with his sometimes co-writers Claude de Givray & Bernard Revon. That bonus disc also has a bunch of interviews and documentary snippets of Truffaut talking about his work over the years. There's also a 72-page booklet reprinting many essays and interviews.

The Adventures of Antione Doinel and Cassavetes Five Films are easily their two best boxed sets yet. And Gilliam's Brazil remains their best edition of a single film...though last year's The Battle of Algiers is pretty frippin' spectacular too.

So Holden which one's did you get for Christmas?

I'm considering ordering (d. Federico Fellini), anyone recommend it?