What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

Kenji Mizoguchi's box:

with the following films:
-Sansho the Bailiff
-The Woman of Rumour
-The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum
-Osaka Elegy
-A Geisha
-Street of Shame
So jealous!

“I was cured, all right!”
@Ultraviolence I started watching A Touch of Zen too, it's pretty good. I get the feeling it was pretty influential for its time.
Yeah, it was (and still is) very influential. It became the first Chinese-language film to win an award at the Cannes Film Festival and the first wuxia film to win at an international film festival. Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon wouldn't be a thing without A Touch of Zen for example.

Oh nice! Andrei Rublev!!! So jealous... man you just keep getting amazing movies Ultraviolence! I watched A Touch of Zen btw... Well, it wasn't great but it was okay. The fighting was a bit cheesy, especially when it was really obviously sped up, that made me laugh. I'd give it
. It was much better than anything else in that style/genre that came out of China around the time.

Oh nice! Andrei Rublev!!! So jealous... man you just keep getting amazing movies Ultraviolence! I watched A Touch of Zen btw... Well, it wasn't great but it was okay. The fighting was a bit cheesy, especially when it was really obviously sped up, that made me laugh. I'd give it
. It was much better than anything else in that style/genre that came out of China around the time.
Yeah, my collection needs great directors .
The fighting looks cheesy cause it's a 17 old film. I can't control myself sometimes and I laugh too, it's funny, but also, very impressive how it was done in 1971!
I never watched Andrei Rublev, so I'm VERY, VERY excited with this!

@christine mentioned this show to me. Never heard of Peter Kay, but a quick YouTube gander makes me think I will enjoy it.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Got the first two episode collections and enjoyed them very much. Might as well get this one.

Finally found a copy for less than the scalpers were asking ($150+) on eBay that wasn't a bootleg and didn't slip right out from under me before I could get it. It was still a little steep at $22 but since I had a lock on it, I thought I should go ahead and get it since I probably wasn't gonna find a better price.

I probably wouldn't have bought most of these if they weren't so cheap (under $14 for the lot). Not a very impressive haul, just building up the library. Altered States, Gosford Park and Inception are the best of the bunch but Waiting and Shoot Em Up will probably get the most play.

DVD:
Altered States
Gosford Park
The Departed
Shoot Em Up
Waiting
The Amityville Horror (1979)

Blu Ray:
The Hurt Locker
Inception

Why? because I decided to give a friend, who is the director, a try. Normally his movies are to cheesy for me. Dear Todd, you are a butthead, however IMDB gave you a 8.9.. WTF!!!!

Saw the DVD of the 90s remake of Night of the Living Dead (1990) at Dollar General for $4, so I figured why not (Trust me, I wish I could say I was buying the newly released Criterion edition of the original Night of the Living Dead (1968). Hopefully I can snag a copy soon).

Finally I have this in my collection!

Two documentaries with Scorsese:
My voyage to Italy and A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies

Nostalghia, Ivan's Childhood, The Mirror and Voyage in Time!
Solaris and The Sacrifice are the only ones missing in my collection now.

Tokyo Story, Talking with Ozu (documentary / interviews), Early Summer, There Was a Father and The Only Son.

Late Spring, Early Spring, Floating Weeds, The End of Summer, Equinox Flower and A Hen in the Wind.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
@Ultraviolence
LOVE that new avatar!!!!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

@Ultraviolence
LOVE that new avatar!!!!
I think I found my definitive avatar! Toshiro Mifune smoking in his clothes of samurai during a break in Yojimbo is one of the most cool pictures that I ever saw!

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

It was created by the same guy who created Ghost in the Shell, the trailer looked cool and John Woo, the guy who gave us Face/Off, sang its praises so I thought it might be worth seeing.

I loved Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, so this seemed like the logical next step.

What can I say? It seemed interesting.

I (in this case, unfortunately) already own Robert Altman's masterpiece The Long Goodbye (1973). I was at Wal-Mart yesterday, and saw that they not only had The Long Goodbye on sale for $4.00, but the cover art on this DVD is waaaayyyy better than the one MGM put out a decade ago (which is basically just Elliot Gould walking in front of a beach). I hate endorsing Wal-Mart, but ****, this is a good deal.

I'm slowly going to infect this thread with movies that I just want to buy solely for the cover art. Arrow Video has bad ass cover art for the New Battles Without Honor and Humanity trilogy. I was lucky enough to score the original Battles Without Honor and Humanity series when a local rental store closed down many years back, so I always meant to get into the "new" battles enough to justify this purchase.

I'm slowly going to infect this thread with movies that I just want to buy solely for the cover art. Arrow Video has bad ass cover art for the New Battles Without Honor and Humanity trilogy. I was lucky enough to score the original Battles Without Honor and Humanity series when a local rental store closed down many years back, so I always meant to get into the "new" battles enough to justify this purchase.

Beautiful cover art!