The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in 2004?

Tools    

Originally Posted by jrs
The Digital Bits reports that Lucasfilm may be releasing the Star Wars trilogy on DVD next year to build buzz for the release of Star Wars: Episode III in May, 2005.

We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters.
Yeah from what I got I heard that the Star Wars trilogy there releasing isn't the original.

I'm gonna boycott it if that's the case.

I enjoyed the original editions better.

With all the assinine changes Lucas has done with his classic original Star Wars films, this tops the cake. George is ruining these films for good. Thanks to joblo aint-it-cool-news I may never want to watch Star Wars ever again.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	HaydenJedi.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2873  

www.theinfonail.com
I am most concerned with some of the changes he is making to classic scenes. Pictures are floating around the web. Also I heard a rumor that in 2006 when HD DVD like blue ray is ready for consumers Lucas will release the entire set. I particular could careless about the newer films.

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I am most concerned with some of the changes he is making to classic scenes. Pictures are floating around the web. Also I heard a rumor that in 2006 when HD DVD like blue ray is ready for consumers Lucas will release the entire set. I particular could careless about the newer films.

I was really interested myself about the changes. I posted a pic (still of a scene) from Jedi that is altered. Which I hate. I am not buying the DVDs when they are released anyways.
As for the HD DVD Blue Ray...I could care less about that.

But the thing is, after episode 3 is released next year, they are sure to come out with a 6 dvd special edition box set very quickly as soon as it is out of theatres.

Anyways it the new edition trilogy there were three things that I disliked.

1. Greedo shooting first while Han in a very phony looking way moves his head. I also agree that Han shot first merely in defence. Since we know he had a history with Greedo he must have also known he was a cold blooded bounty hunter. And what were the last words he used against Han? Weren't they somthing along the lines of " I've been looking forward to this for a long time solo"..........Han:" Yeah, I bet you have"..BANG
2. After the fight with vader in episode 5 luke jumped off of the platform screaming like a little girl. Jedi Knights don't scream like girls. Even the rookies in training such as luke wouldn't do that. Not if they have been through as much as he has.
3. In Return of the Jedi we also have Boba Fett screaming like a 6 year old school girl just before he got eaten. This guy was supposed to be some bad ass bounty hunter that many fans respected. Please don't have him go out like that. But he did and it's done. Those 3 things I have a hard time getting passed.........Sheeesh.

Originally Posted by Escape
But the thing is, after episode 3 is released next year, they are sure to come out with a 6 dvd special edition box set very quickly as soon as it is out of theatres.
That's it...special edition.....I DO NOT want the special editions of Ep. IV, V and VI. I have the originals (which I am pleased with) and I will just have to wait to see what he puts out for Ep. 3 on DVD.

I agree, the originals should be released on DVD, not special edition, or archive edition.
Lets just say a certain someone *wink* will make sure a certain science fiction director *wink* does what is in the best interest of a certain MoFo *wink*.

I'll just make him an offer he cant refuse. lol.

And if my death threats dont work, them we break into Skywalker Ranch and loot the place. anyone with me?

Originally Posted by Zeiken
I agree, the originals should be released on DVD, not special edition, or archive edition.
Lets just say a certain someone *wink* will make sure a certain science fiction director *wink* does what is in the best interest of a certain MoFo *wink*.

I'll just make him an offer he cant refuse. lol.

And if my death threats dont work, them we break into Skywalker Ranch and loot the place. anyone with me?
I got dibbs on the Vader's mask.

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by Escape

Anyways it the new edition trilogy there were three things that I disliked.

1. Greedo shooting first while Han in a very phony looking way moves his head. I also agree that Han shot first merely in defence. Since we know he had a history with Greedo he must have also known he was a cold blooded bounty hunter. And what were the last words he used against Han? Weren't they somthing along the lines of " I've been looking forward to this for a long time solo"..........Han:" Yeah, I bet you have"..BANG
2. After the fight with vader in episode 5 luke jumped off of the platform screaming like a little girl. Jedi Knights don't scream like girls. Even the rookies in training such as luke wouldn't do that. Not if they have been through as much as he has.
3. In Return of the Jedi we also have Boba Fett screaming like a 6 year old school girl just before he got eaten. This guy was supposed to be some bad ass bounty hunter that many fans respected. Please don't have him go out like that. But he did and it's done. Those 3 things I have a hard time getting passed.........Sheeesh.
I had no idea that Han actually moved. To me it looked like nothing more than a still shot with a naff laser shot in it. Also, we're expected to believe that Greedo, despite having his gun no more than a few feet away from Han, above the table, and aimed directly at Han's head, would miss him by about 3 feet
I also hated Luke screaming as he fell. Any emotion that the scene used to have was just destroyed and now, whenever I watch my old Star Wars video's, I can't take that bit seriously anymore
There was another bit in that film aswell though that got on my nerves. Why did Vader say "Inform my Star Destroyer, to prepare for my arrival"? It's not like anyone really cared where he went, and it was pretty bloody obvious that he was trotting off back to his Star Destroyer.
As for ROTJ, well...
Firstly, it's bad enough that Boba Fett died after being in the film for only around half an hour (whereas his dad could kill Jedi's) in the original film, but now he has to scream like a pansy. I'd love to see a shot of Jango in the clouds, with his head in his hands after seeing that.
Secondly, why add another stupid ring around the Death Star Explosion? Do corny rings make explosions look bigger? No, they do not.
Thirdly, why change the ending sequence? There was no need to show the Empire being overthrown in Coruscant, or thousands upon thousands of people in Tatooine, who were never there before, and there was definately no need to change the ewok celebration music. Before it was a reasonably good way to end the series, now it sounds like something from a gameboy game.

And I'm spent.

Originally Posted by jrs
With all the assinine changes Lucas has done with his classic original Star Wars films, this tops the cake. George is ruining these films for good. Thanks to joblo aint-it-cool-news I may never want to watch Star Wars ever again.

I hope thats just a rumour

Originally Posted by jrs
Nope ! here to witness Hayden destroying perfectly good work.
From the link you posted: "There is an excellent chance that this is just a result of some spoddy nerd who downloaded the Return Of The Jedi laserdisc and got to work with Adobe Premier. Or it could be the real deal, who knows."

#1 Canadian Haylie Duff Fan
I can't wait for this boxed Star wars set to come out on September 21st, but I will probably buy it around Christmas time. Does anyone know how much it will cost in Canadian dollars? Please, if you do, send a message to me with the answer. Thanks, from the #1 Canadian Haylie Duff Fan in Brampton, ON!

Later!

Retailer Round Up: The Star Wars Trilogy DVD

Amazon.com: $41.49 (before STL discount)
Best Buy: $42.99*
Circuit City: $44.99
Costco: $43.99
Target: Target reportedly shows an ad price of either $44.99 or 45.99 (neither has been confirmed)
Toys "R" Us: $49.99*
Wal-Mart: N/A (as prices vary by store)

Blockbuster Video: $54.99*
Buy.com: $44.95 (free S&H)
Coconuts.com: $49.99 (free S&H)($34.99 after $15 mail-in rebate)
DeepDiscountDVD.com: $41.88 (free S&H)
DVDImport.com: $39.86 (free S&H)
DVDPlanet.com: $44.99 ($1.80 S&H)
DVDSoon.com: $44.96 (free S&H)
FYE: $49.99 ($34.99 after $15 mail-in rebate, but MIR only applies to pre-orders)
Gamestop: $49.99 ($29.99 with trade-in of 3 movies)
Outpost.com: $36.99 ($4.83 Ground shipping) (1 per customer)
Overstock.com: $40.99 ($1.40 S&H)
SamsClub.com: $44.88
The Laser's Edge: $48.99 ($3.00 USPS S&H)
Walmart.com: $41.88 ($5.89 S&H)

Other details:
* Best Buy is offering a free copy of the mockumentary DVD R2-D2 Beneath the Dome with the purchase of the Trilogy (online pre-orders only).
* Best Buy will be offering a 50-page Star Wars Insider magazine for in-store orders.
* Blockbuster Video is offering a deal to buy the Trilogy and seven rentals for $59.
*Toys "R" Us is offering a free $10 gift card w/ purchase.

*At Target it's $49.99. we are offering a $10 gift card with the purchase of Star Wars Battlefront. If you buy Battlefront and the DVD set, get the game first and then have them ring up your DVD set seperatly and use the $10 gift card on it.

*COMPUSA has it on sale for $39.99!

* Fry's is advertising it for $36.99 Tuesday only.

Here's a collection of the various Star Wars ads appearing in Sunday's paper. Looks like most stores have the DVDs listed at 49.99, but there are some better prices found if you look for them! Plus, K-Mart is having a 25% off sale on all Star Wars toys, including the Cantina sets.

Thanks to theforce.net

Best Buy (First 2 on the left): Classic Trilogy DVDs...no price printed, but you can get the exclusive Star Wars Insider magazine with purchase. Star Wars: Battlefront is priced at $49.99 (Xbox and PS2). Prequel DVDs priced at $22.99 .

CompUSA (Third): Lowest price for Classic Trilogy DVDs for $39.99.

Eckard (Fourth): Classic Trilogy DVDs for $49.99.

Media Play (Fifth): Classic Trilogy DVDs for "Hot Price". Many other items on sale as well. Select stores will be having a Midnight Madness sale Monday night.
Attachments

Name:	swDVDad-BB.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	3806   Click image for larger version

Name:	swDVDad-BB2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	3807   Click image for larger version

Name:	swDVDad-CUSA.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	3808   Click image for larger version

Name:	swDVDad-Eck.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3809   Click image for larger version

Name:	swDVDad-MP.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	3810  

K-Mart (First 2): Classic Trilogy DVDs...no price printed. Also, 25% off all Star Wars toys, including the Cantina sets. This is a good deal when you consider they have been getting most of the toys first lately.

Rite Aid (Third): Classic Trilogy DVDs for $49.99.

Target (The last 2): Classic Trilogy DVDs for "Low Price". Star Wars: Battlefront is priced at $49.99 (Xbox). Also a $10 Giftcard available upon purchase
Attachments

Name:	swDVDad-KM1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	3811   Click image for larger version

Name:	swDVDad-KM2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	3812   Click image for larger version

Name:	swDVDad-RA.jpg
Views:	138