Swan's Blu-ray and DVD Collection

Tools    

That's a real shame about Stone which would be a good film to watch right now what with all the Fury Road talk. It often feels like the godfather to the original Mad Max film, and also co-stars Hugh Keays-Byrne who gives another oddball performance.
Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about it. That was one of the ones I was looking forward to the most. I definitely still intend to get it, maybe when I get it that damn Amazon will know where it is.

This has never happened before, for me, where they can't locate one of their movies. Big bummer it had to be with this film.

Anyway glad to see you're enjoying these and don't feel like you've wasted your money.
If you like the Pinky Violence stuff then also check out Shunya Itô's three* original Female Prisoner: Scorpion movies (I like Meiko Kaji even more than Reiko Ike). There's also Bohachi Bushido: Code of the Forgotten Eight, and Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs - some of the very best there.
I do intend to buy the Female Prisoner: Scorpion films, but a lot of these exploitation films are rather expensive and/or you have to buy second-hand. So I'm going to wait a little bit.

Thanks for checking in on the thread, Used Future.

First off, I reordered Stone. I can wait a bit for it to arrive, no big deal.

Then I got these. Most of them are based on recommendations. I'll explain each one.

Blind Beast

Recommended by JJ and the samoan lawyer, this is the MVP of this purchase, the one I'm looking forward to the most. Unfortunately, it's also the one that Amazon has out of stock right now so it might take a while.

Four of the Apocalypse

I bought this for the Trash Vault. JJ and I really want to do a Fulci spaghetti western next, and this looked possibly the best out of the two we were looking at, plus it's by Blue Underground, so I went for it.

The Great Silence

Recommended by JJ. I've been meaning to see a Corbucci spaghetti western for a while now, and this looked better than Django, so I got it.

Switchblade Sisters

Recommended by Quentin Tarantino. I don't know much about it, but it was cheap and I liked the girl-gang stuff in Girl Boss Guerilla, so I went for it.

+ rep for The Great Silence and Switchblade Sisters which are both great in their own way. I also have both on dvd and predict you wont be disappointed with either. I was actually going to recommend Switchblade Sisters to you as a solid cheap purchase (at least it was when I last looked). Another classic from Jack Hill that predates the cycle of gang films that includes The Warriors and The Wanderers.

I've seen quite a lot of Fulci but not Four of the Apocalypse despite my love of Euro westerns. Have heard it's pretty nasty, depraved and grueling which shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with the director's work. Let me know what you think because it's been on my radar for years and I'll pick up the dvd cheap. Incidentally my favourite Fulci is The Psychic aka Seven Notes In Black which I heartily recommend seeing as you've already seen and enjoyed Zombi 2, and The Beyond .

+ rep for The Great Silence and Switchblade Sisters which are both great in their own way. I also have both on dvd and predict you wont be disappointed with either. I was actually going to recommend Switchblade Sisters to you as a solid cheap purchase (at least it was when I last looked). Another classic from Jack Hill that predates the cycle of gang films that includes The Warriors and The Wanderers.
Oh good, glad to hear Switchblade Sisters was worth the purchase. I'm looking forward to The Great Silence quite a bit, too. Corbucci seems great and it has the always fascinating Kinski in it.

I've seen quite a lot of Fulci but not Four of the Apocalypse despite my love of Euro westerns. Have heard it's pretty nasty, depraved and grueling which shouldn't surprise anyone familiar with the director's work. Let me know what you think because it's been on my radar for years and I'll pick up the dvd cheap. Incidentally my favourite Fulci is The Psychic aka Seven Notes In Black which I heartily recommend seeing as you've already seen and enjoyed Zombi 2, and The Beyond .
I was going to say, I'm not surprised to hear it's depraved and nasty. A Fulci western sounds so cool to me, I'm really hoping it's good and in line with his horror. I've also heard great things about The Psychic. I know Tarantino loves it, and now with your recommendation, I'll put it quite a bit higher on my watchlist. Thanks UF.

So I've now got more than enough horror and exploitation to last me a while. Time for some different stuff. And since I had a transcendent rewatch of Take Shelter tonight, I decided to go ahead and buy the rest of Jeff Nichols small filmography. I have seen Mud before, and dug it. Shotgun Stories is a blind buy but I've heard good things.

I definitely need to see Shotgun Stories! I really liked Mud as well, and I own that one too. Looks like I generally love what Jeff Nichols does, so let's see if Shotgun Stories is great as well. I'll look forward to your thoughts once you see it!

Thanks for checking in, MovieMeds. I think Nichols is great, too.

Anyway, I had been meaning to get some more Mike Leigh, so it's about time I do that. I've seen Naked and Happy-Go-Lucky, and loved both. I imagine those are probably his two most polar opposite films, considering one is so bleak and misanthropic while the other has this really charming, cheery character. Anyway, he's two for two and if he keeps impressing me like this he'll be a favorite director of mine in no time. Thanks honeykid for directing me in the right direction as to what to get.

Got these for cheap. A Fulci I have never seen and a slightly pretentious but nonetheless fascinating and moving Malick pic. I love it personally. And it has Jessica Chastain! So it's a win anyway.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Tree of Life is one of those films I desperately need to see again. First time viewing it I was not in the right mindset or mood, although it's grown on me over time. If I see it again, there's a chance I might consider it a masterpiece.

Great pickups.

What a buy, Swan! And I'm glad to hear you have nice words about it too. Yes, I'll admit it's slightly pretentious, but it's also so damn ambitious that it's hard to think anything else. The meaning of life itself, the way humans understand and interpret life, religion, science, love, innocence, guilt..... There is so much crammed into this picture it's unbelievable.

But one thing's for certain: it's a damn fine looking movie, stunning actually, and the Blu-ray transfer is top notch. A must own for that reason alone.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I don't think the old Terry boy is pretentious, but he does sort of "lose" himself in his visuals sometimes. But what visuals they are.

Cheers guys. I agree with you Meds. It's not flawless but it's still beautifully made. I still can't believe it didn't get the win for cinematography at the Oscars, but I'm just now starting to realize the Oscars are kind of for sh*t. Took me a while, eh?

I'm excited to give it another go. I LOVED it both times I have seen it, despite it's flaws (mostly notably the pretentiousness).

I don't think the old Terry boy is pretentious, but he does sort of "lose" himself in his visuals sometimes. But what visuals they are.
For me, the pretentiousness was most noticeable in the voiceovers. They bothered me a little bit, but it's really a minor criticism.

So of these, I've seen The Conformist and The Long Goodbye. Been meaning to buy The Long Goodbye for a long time, because it's a great film. I bought The Conformist even though I don't really remember it, because I'm interested in further exploring general Italian cinema after loving all this Italian horror and spaghetti westerns. They're so stylish and cinematic.

Also bought Big Trouble in Little China, which I've never seen.