Ten Favorite Criterion Collection Titles?

Tools    

God, how old are you, I'm so behind, but awesome 10 picks
Thanks, I like that you listed House. I'm 30, and if you're anything like me, you'll probably still feel like you're way behind when you're my age (not to discourage you).

Not necessarily my ten very favorites (there are so many that I love, a ton are on my old top 100 and a few more would be on a new one), but the ten I most want to mention now-

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My fave Criterion movies are apparently not going to be mentioned right now, but these ten are ones I will mention which I adore and believe that everyone should watch. I only wish I could add some more British comedies. These are organized as if they were tracks on a 33 and 1/3.

Z
Pygmalion
The Shop on Main Street
The Complete Monterey Pop Festival
Straw Dogs
Night and Fog
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
Days of Heaven
Berlin Alexanderplatz

I will get one of my fave Bergman's in the mail today or tomorrow for rental. It was just released yesterday. There is also one out-of-print "Essential Art House Classics" which is available for Netflix rental. Oops! Netflix doesn't have it (nor Bonderchuk's War and Peace), so it's available at Blockbuster online. At least one person here told me they rented and loved it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think it's Resnais' best film. It's short (30 min.) and not so sweet. I've shown it to my high schoolers (continuation school), and some cannot take their eyes off of it. The music, images and narration are a triple blow to your heart, soul and body. Most of the young men ignore it until it gets really horrific with unspeakable human atrocities. The young women take it much harder. Many of them are crying uncontrollably at the end (me too)!

I edited all kinds of things out because I didn't want to post Spoilers. If you've seen the movie, you don't need me to remind you. If you haven't, you shouldn't be tempted to read them.

Dog Star Man's Picks:

Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

"Live forever or die trying"
That is an epic list two posts up. I forget about the old titles to often but over all I'd side with Holden Pike

A system of cells interlinked

I've not seen a whole lot of the Criterion titles, but this covers most of what I own and have seen at least once or twice. I agree with Holden that more people need to see Blast of Silence. Glad I ended up with a copy!

A system of cells interlinked
Blast! That reminds me, I still need to watch Woman in the Dunes. I have it in queue but have yet to watch it! Har!