Movie Tab II

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
The Witch

(Eggers, 2015)

Superbly crafted New England folk tale about a devout Christian family whose infant son goes missing while under the care of their eldest daughter in the early 1600s. Tense and well-played, while drawing on actual dialogue from the folk tales of the time. This is a slow burner that increases tension as it goes along until it reaches its chilling conclusion.

Any chance of a few words on High Rise, mark? I remember reading the book in my teens and I've thought about taking a look at it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
High-Rise starts at the ending where we get a look at what's been caused by whatever breakdown in society has occurred in the past few months. It basically follows the doctor but also follows a "lower-class" family and the family that lives in the penthouse. We sense a strangeness about the "perfect" society depicted, and that perfection is quickly thwarted by various actions but it's not readily clear what's causing it. Sometimes it sorta has a Stepford Wives vibe, but not exactly. You've read the Ballard book and I haven't, but it does seem to be Ben Wheatley-type material. It's also overlong considering I can see different viewers thinking it's too obvious or too muddled or both (which is where I fell). Wheatley throws in some of his trademark style, but I would have liked to see more of it, which is best exemplified in the film's bookends.

A system of cells interlinked
Inherent Vice

(Anderson, 2015)

I can usually enjoy a PT Anderson film due at least to its ambitious structure, even if his directing and content can be derivative. This time around, to coin a phrase from the era represented in the film, was just a drag, man! Easily his worst film to date, I found this overlong and boring, with only flashes of the creativity he has shown in the past. Once again he lifted from Altman (The Long Goodbye) and the Coen Brothers (Blood Simple), adding in a generous helping of incoherence. Phoenix was good, but couldn't save this one on his performance alone.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Inherent Vice

(Anderson, 2015)

I can usually enjoy a PT Anderson film due at least to its ambitious structure, even if his directing and content can be derivative. This time around, to coin a phrase from the era represented in the film, was just a drag, man! Easily his worst film to date, I found this overlong and boring, with only flashes of the creativity he has shown in the past. Once again he lifted from Altman (The Long Goodbye) and the Coen Brothers (Blood Simple), adding in a generous helping of incoherence. Phoenix was good, but couldn't save this one on his performance alone.
The Long Goodbye - Inherent Vice
McCabe and Mrs. Miller - There Will Be Blood
Nashville - Magnolia

Even uses the same actors (Henry Gibson for example)

Road Games (1981) –

A sort of all-purpose thriller about a truck driver that may or may not have stumbled upon a serial killer along his route. It thankfully keeps the mystery elements fresh until the very end, and the action scenes are directed with an impressive attention to detail. Definitely recommended for something entertaining and suspenseful.

No Way Out (1950) –

A surprisingly candid statement about racism for 1950. Really good acting from Widmark and Poitier, and a pretty noteworthy score that builds on the tension well.

Dead Poets Society –

Made me feel like I could do stuff with my life. Now I just need to figure out how to incorporate that into spending hours a day on the computer.

Fierce Creatures (1997) –

The leads from A Fish Called Wanda (all playing somewhat familiar characters) attempt to tastelessly commercialize a zoo. Sure it doesn’t live up to A Fish Called Wanda, and the humor tends to get a little juvenile, but it still has moments.

Paris, Je T'aime (numerous directors, 2006)

First off, I feel a little bit mean (say what?) not rating this at least
. When I first watched it, I thought there wasn't that much of a quality differential to the stories, so it seemed like a fair rating, but having rewatched it, taking notes, and rating each episode individually, I'm going to stick with my lower rating. However contradictory this sounds, I still recommend the film for viewing for the better episodes, but I'm just warning you that there will be some which leave you cold, and they're probably not the same ones that I thought were of lesser quality.

Paris, Je T'aime is a "collective film", consisting of 18 self-contained episodes, all set in the City of Light and Love, and all filmed by different directors. Most all of the episodes are five to six minutes long; some try to tell a story, while others are just slices of life. One other thing they all have in common is that the directors each had two days to shoot their entire episode. I don't think that any of the films are downright horrible, but I find some far more interesting and entertaining than others. The episodes are separated by some scenes of the dailly and night life of Paris, but basically, they all flow one into the other with only a quick title and director listed to show you where each one begins.

The episodes which meant the most to me included the Coen Brothers' humorous tale of vacationer Steve Buscemi whose happiness is destroyed when he makes eye contact with a lovemaking couple, even though his travel guide highly recommends against it; Alexander Payne's wonderful finale about an American female postal worker (Margo Martindale) who narrates her own story in the best French she can muster (it contains the biggest laugh and the most-poignant moment for me); the first two episodes, which both show how a male with no positive experiences with the opposite sex can actually relate to a female by simply caring enough to help them when they need it; Tom Tykwer's wildly-stylistic tale of the love affair between an actress (Natalie Portman) and a blind man (Melchior Belsion); and, perhaps against my better judgment, I actually found the tale of the mimes meeting each other in jail and finding true love to be one of the more creative parts of the film.

There are many other actors/directors I haven't mentioned, and some do worthwhile work. Among those would be Nick Nolte, Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara, Juliette Binoche, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elijah Wood, Miranda Richardson, Willem Dafoe, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Gérard Depardieu, Alfonso Cuarón, Walter Salles, Gus Van Sant, Olivier Assayas, Wes Craven, etc. This film is far superior to a similar film made about 20 years ago called Aria, which I might just put into my 10 Worst Art House Films list. This one is a pretty good omnibus film, considering the constraints under which it was made. That's the main reason I think it's worth checking out, especially if you love Paris.

Welcome to the human race...
Nashville - Magnolia

Even uses the same actors (Henry Gibson for example)
Interesting how you compare McCabe and Mrs. Miller with There Will Be Blood because that's probably the only one of the three pairs where Anderson's films seems to be offering a deconstructive response to Altman's film instead of a straightforward homage/plagiarism.

Magnolia should be paired with Short Cuts. Not Nashville.

Even when some PTA films are quite similar to Altman's on the surface or description-wise, I wouldn't say there's ever a question of plagiarism, by the way. PTA always gives his films a peculiar touch. They're very different from Altman's films in tone.

PTA's most original work, The Master, is his most interesting film to date, though.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Paris, Je T'aime (numerous directors, 2006)

First off, I feel a little bit mean (say what?) not rating this at least
. When I first watched it, I thought there wasn't that much of a quality differential to the stories, so it seemed like a fair rating, but having rewatched it, taking notes, and rating each episode individually, I'm going to stick with my lower rating. However contradictory this sounds, I still recommend the film for viewing for the better episodes, but I'm just warning you that there will be some which leave you cold, and they're probably not the same ones that I thought were of lesser quality.

Paris, Je T'aime is a "collective film", consisting of 18 self-contained episodes, all set in the City of Light and Love, and all filmed by different directors. Most all of the episodes are five to six minutes long; some try to tell a story, while others are just slices of life. One other thing they all have in common is that the directors each had two days to shoot their entire episode. I don't think that any of the films are downright horrible, but I find some far more interesting and entertaining than others. The episodes are separated by some scenes of the dailly and night life of Paris, but basically, they all flow one into the other with only a quick title and director listed to show you where each one begins.

The episodes which meant the most to me included the Coen Brothers' humorous tale of vacationer Steve Buscemi whose happiness is destroyed when he makes eye contact with a lovemaking couple, even though his travel guide highly recommends against it; Alexander Payne's wonderful finale about an American female postal worker (Margo Martindale) who narrates her own story in the best French she can muster (it contains the biggest laugh and the most-poignant moment for me); the first two episodes, which both show how a male with no positive experiences with the opposite sex can actually relate to a female by simply caring enough to help them when they need it; Tom Tykwer's wildly-stylistic tale of the love affair between an actress (Natalie Portman) and a blind man (Melchior Belsion); and, perhaps against my better judgment, I actually found the tale of the mimes meeting each other in jail and finding true love to be one of the more creative parts of the film.

There are many other actors/directors I haven't mentioned, and some do worthwhile work. Among those would be Nick Nolte, Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara, Juliette Binoche, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Elijah Wood, Miranda Richardson, Willem Dafoe, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Gérard Depardieu, Alfonso Cuarón, Walter Salles, Gus Van Sant, Olivier Assayas, Wes Craven, etc. This film is far superior to a similar film made about 20 years ago called Aria, which I might just put into my 10 Worst Art House Films list. This one is a pretty good omnibus film, considering the constraints under which it was made. That's the main reason I think it's worth checking out, especially if you love Paris.

I saw "Aria" and yeah it was awful.. I remember Altman had a piece in it, and I don't think I finished it.

Nashville - Magnolia
And the entire emotional centerpiece that Punch-Drunk Love builds to his running to her in Hawaii and the song "He Needs Me" finally playing fully through (pieces of it have been playing nearly the entire film). "He Needs Me" is probably Henry Nilssen's best song in Altman's Popeye. Not that anything else about PDL is taken from Popey, but it is striking to me that even there he felt compelled to link to something Altman. He even used the original recording with Shelley Duvall.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Goodnight Mommy- A disturbing mix of Babadook, The Woman, and Fight Club

Recent Watches (Ranked):
Goodnight Mommy (Fiala & Franz, 2014)-

Captain America: Civil War (Russo,2016)-

C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America (Wilmott, 2004)-
-
Room (Abrahamson, 2015)-

Hardcore Henry (Naishuller, 2015)-
-

Romance of the West (Robert Emmett, 1946)

White Peril (Don Horter, 1956)

Wild Child (Nick Moore, 2008)

The Jungle Book (Jon Favreau, 2016)

Panther Bagheera (Voice of Ben Kingsley) defends Mowgli (Neel Sethi) from tiger Shere Khan (Voice of Idris Elba).
Casual Sex? (Geneviève Robert, 1988)

Eat Your Bones (Jean-Charles Hue, 2014)

The Voice of Bugle Ann (Richard Thorpe, 1936)

Twelve Chairs (Leonid Gayday, 1971)
+ 161m

Con man Archil Gomiashvili and former aristocrat Sergey Filippov search throughout Russia for his family’s diamonds which were hidden in 12 dining chairs.
Slightly Dangerous (Wesley Ruggles, 1943)
+
Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaquil Le Clercq (Nancy Buirski, 2014)

Are These Our Children (Wesley Ruggles, 1932)
+
Clean (Olivier Assayas, 2004)

After she loses her aging rock star husband (James Johnston) to a drug overdose, “manager” Maggie Cheung also loses the custody of her son to her in-laws and eventually tries to clean up her act enough to get him back at some point.
The Sea Bat (Wesley Ruggles, 1930)

Another Face (Christy Cabanne, 1935)

A Feast at Midnight (Justin Hardy, 1995)
+
David Ortiz: In the Moment (Anthony Puzzo, 2014)

Red Sox hero ”Big Papi” David Ortiz speaks to the Fenway Park crowd to try to console them after the Patriots’ Day Boston Marathon bombing in 2013.
Manuscripts Don't Burn (Mohammad Rasoulof, 2013)

I’ll Take Romance (Edward H. Griffith, 1937)
+
Dangerous (Alfred E. Green, 1935)

Flowers and Trees (Burt Gillett, 1932)

As a boy tree serenades a girl tree with a homemade harp, a scary monster tree tries to take her as his own.

Ran (Kurosawa, 1985)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze (Pressman, 1991)

Air Bud: Golden Reciever (Martin)

Saw Ran on the big screen. Same place I saw The Chimes at Midnight a few weeks back.

Care for some gopher?
Oktyabr October - Ten Days that Shocked the World (Sergei Eisenstein/Grigori Aleksandrov, 1928) -
+
The Searchers (John Ford, 1956) -

El abrazo de la serpiente Embrace of the Serpent (Ciro Guerra, 2015) -
+
Thunderball (Terence Young, 1965) -
+
The Rundown (Peter Berg, 2003) -
+

And now, stone me:

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) -

Week End Weekend (Jean-Luc Godard, 1967) -

And now, stone me:

If it's any consolation, I didn't really care for Week End either. I'm not big on Godard apart from Alphaville and Contempt though.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
And now, stone me:

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) -

You, Sir, just got totally Stone'd.

Master of My Domain

SIdenote: Emma Stone is hot.