The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Congrats to Holden. I'm new here so this is my first decades list. It was presented professionally and fun too

So here's my list:
1 American Graffiti
2 Star Wars
3 High Plains Drifter
4 Soylent Green (What? no love for this great Sci Fi flick, with biting social commentary and a deeply moving scene by EG Robinson)
5 Jaws
6 The Godfater
7 The Warriors
8 Solaris
9 The Omega Man
10 Silent Running
11 Logans Run
12 The Way We Were (No romantics here?)
13 The Poseidon Adventure (Oh come on this was great fun, a ship upside down)
14 Lenny
15 Barry Lyndon
16 Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
17 Life of Brian
18 Star Trek: The Motion Picture
19 The Jerk
20 Cabaret
21 Live and Let Die (Oh Oh 7 ! The best of the 70s Bond films. Must be some SPECTRE agents afoot.)
22 Tora! Tora! Tora!
23 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
24 Apocalypse Now
25 Animal House

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'd recommend Time After Time as well, Camo. It's a good film.

GBG, I'm pleased to see that someone else was, at least, considering Capricorn One. I'm surprised to see that you were thinking of Over The Edge, too. It's not unknown, but I was the only person I was aware of who'd even consider it for a list like this.

I was surprised that more people didn't consider Over the Edge for this list. I know that some people think that it's "just a teen movie", but it's really one of the better teen movies. It's a coming of age story, with teen rebellion, and it was Matt Dillon's debut movie. The soundtrack isn't my type of music, but it fits the movie perfectly. I think it's a very underrated movie.

Congrats to Holden. I'm new here so this is my first decades list. It was presented professionally and fun too

So here's my list:

12 The Way We Were (No romantics here?)
The Way We Were was another movie that I was considering for my list, but I had so many Robert Redford movies on my list that I had to draw the line somewhere, and this one just didn't make my final cut.

I must be going through withdrawals or something, because I just figured out the tie-breakers and all for numbers #131-#160, made little posters for them, and added them to the first page. Clicky HERE.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

EDIT: That's quite a list, Holden. Thanks. I sense a challenge. BTW, Zombie 2 and Zombie Flesheaters is the same film. I doubt it matters, but I thought I'd mention it.
Fart-knockers! I thought I had looked that up. I knew Zombie and Zombi 2 were one in the same, but I thought I had figured out that Zombie Flesh Eaters was another movie. Drat.

But no, it wouldn't have made any difference at all in the Top 100. I only had one two-point vote filed under Zombie Flesh Eaters, so adding that to Zombi 2 now makes for twenty-two points, total. That jumps it up a bunch of spots toward the very bottom, where there are eight titles with 22 points, eight with 21 points, and eight with 20 points, but in the grand scheme of things it didn't come close to the top TWO hundred, much less the top hundred.

But, drat, just the same.

OK, four hundred and twenty-six different films!

*BTW, I just looked it up, and it was n3wt who screwed me up with the alternate name to the Fulci flick on his ballot. Jerkface.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	zombi.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	17152  

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My ratings for 101-160

106. High Plains Drifter

109. Wake in Fright

112. Klute
+
116. Spy Who Loved Me
+
121. Frenzy
+
126. 3 Women

137. Watership Down

138. Robin Hood

139. Tora! Tora! Tora!
+
143. Play It Again, Sam
+
144. Play Misty for Me

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
That's a fantastic poster, Holden. Great work.

It's the 3000+ rep you've gotten from this thread alone: you've built up an addiction and a dependence and now you can't stop.

Did you make this [Godfather] poster Holden? if so, SO very cool. If not, it looks like your work. either way,
Thanks. But nope, just one of the many alternate one sheets for The Godfather.

I like that from these postings we can see just how many films were separated by so few points. There's one point between Capricorn One and Theatre of Blood, but 31 places.
Yuppers. Capricorn One has four points, and Theatre of Blood three points....but there are eighteen movies that finished with four points, and fourteen that had only three. As I said, the spreadsheet lists ties alphabetically, so Capricorn One is the first listed at four, and Theatre of Blood is the last listed at three.

4 POINTS
Capricorn One
Daughters of Darkness
Distant Thunder
Emperor of the North
End, The
Freaky Friday
Getaway, The
Heaven Can Wait
Joe
Magnificent Butcher
New York, New York
Perceval le Gallios
Phantom of Liberty
Rock N Roll High School
Storm Boy
Sunday Too Far Away
Tristana
Vanishing Point

3 POINTS
10 (1979)
Blue Fin
Buffet Froid
Electra Glide in Blue
Hard Times
Ici et Alleurs
Julia
Man with the Golden Gun
Minnie & Moskowitz
Outfit, The
Parallax View
Payday
Tess
Theatre of Blood

Technically all the films in those two groups are tied with each other. But that far down the list, it truly doesn't matter, and I was just giving the corresponding number on the spreadsheet for the sake of it. Capricorn One isn't really #369 and Heaven Can Wait #376, nor is Parallax View #397 and Theatre of Blood #400. Technically those pairs are exactly the same.

*BTW, I just looked it up, and it was n3wt who screwed me up with the alternate name to the Fulci flick on his ballot. Jerkface.
I knew it'd be a Brit as that's what it's known as over here. I didn't even know it had an alternate title (though as an Italian exploitation film I'd have guessed it did) until I started using the net and talking about this film that most other people called by a different name.

Thanks for even more info, Holden.

21 Live and Let Die (Oh Oh 7 ! The best of the 70s Bond films. Must be some SPECTRE agents afoot.)
What's Live And Let Die got to do with the Best Bond film? Obviously you meant to say The Spy Who Loves Me. Best Bond, best Bone Theme and best Bond girl. Actually, best two Bond girls.

Did he post a list of all the movies that were submitted?

Also, what's the deal with Pumping Iron? How many points? Who had it on their list? Did Yoda? I didn't see Yoda's list. He must be hiding it from me.

Holden, you have The Last Detail on there twice.

#129 and #131 are the same movie -- The Last Detail.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	last.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	17154  

Wow, so, including the movies up to #160, only four of my films didn't get any recognition: Tommy, Last Tango in Paris, Caligula and Pumping Iron.

Pumping Iron
probably would have had recognition as a 1 pointer movie if Bozo hadn't put it on his list.

That's not bad. I wish Coffy, Foxy Brown, Patton and Pink Flamingos had made the official list, though.

#237 Pumping Iron (19 points, three votes)
#301 Tommy (12 points, just you)
#356 The Last Tango in Paris (6 points, just you)

Sexy, Yoda had Pumping Iron as his number fourteen, and Peter Vincent had it as his number twenty.

Oh.

Well, still, I told Yoda not to vote for it and he did anyway. Jerk. One other person had it as #20, but it still didn't make the list. The fact is I was right -- it wasn't going to make the list. I tried to make it a 1 pointer movie. I would have failed anyway, but I still blame Yoda. Not only does he put it on his list, but it puts it at #14. Not too high, not too low.

And seriously, Yoda, what got you into Pumping Iron? Do you go to a gym?

I bet he purposely told Peter Vincent to vote for Pumping Iron just to take some heat off himself.

Well, still, I told Yoda not to vote for it and he did anyway. Jerk. One other person had it as #20, but it still didn't make the list. The fact is I was right -- it wasn't going to make the list. I tried to make it a 1 pointer movie. I would have failed anyway, but I still blame Yoda. Not only does he put it on his list, but it puts it at #14. Not too high, not too low.
Nope, I was right. When you told me to leave it off, I replied with this:
"I think it'll probably be higher than that anyway."
And it was.

And seriously, Yoda, what got you into Pumping Iron? Do you go to a gym?
Well, my dad was into bodybuilding when he was younger, but I wouldn't say I'm "into" Pumping Iron. I just think it's a very interesting documentary.