The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

1. Because it's the most violent and therefore memorable.

2. I think it's because out of context, it seems pretty funny. Within the context of the film, it makes a lot more sense and isn't that unordinary. I think it just perfectly captures the spirit of the film and family, they're balancing violence with ordinary family things, food
For me the horse scene wasn't among the most memorable. Even though it's a short part of the film, the whole part with Tom going to see Woltz was one of the weaker parts of the film inbetween, the excellent wedding scene and the introduction of Sollozo. It kind of felt unnecessary, i do understand it was portraying a real life event of Willie Morreti apparently threatining Tommy Dorsey for Frank Sinatra and to show the Corleones capabilities, but it just feels like the only major part of the movie that doesn't really connect to anything else.

I realize that the Canoli scene is pretty funny but there's alot of scenes i find funnier. Sonny is hilarious, "Badabing you blow your brains all over your nice ivy league suit"

2?! JAWS placed 2?! Oh what a gyp!

JAWS is the best horror movie ever made, and an adventure film, and a drama, and was funny, and was even BETTER than the book (unlike Godfather). I loved The Godfather too, but JAWS literally scared people from going into water.

I had a bad feeling when I saw JAWS hadnt even placed in the top 25 on others lists. Spielberg just doesn't get the respect he's due from the more critical communities.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Hell of a list Holden, a huge congratulations on making this the most interesting list to follow by far (so far).

That's not berating previous hosts either It's just as these lists have gone on, each host has taken everything good about the last one and made it better. Terrific job.

Reviews

2?! JAWS placed 2?! Oh what a gyp!

JAWS is the best horror movie ever made, and an adventure film, and a drama, and was funny, and was even BETTER than the book (unlike Godfather). I loved The Godfather too, but JAWS literally scared people from going into water.

I had a bad feeling when I saw JAWS hadnt even placed in the top 25 on others lists. Spielberg just doesn't get the respect he's due from the more critical communities.
Yeah... like me. That movie was one of the big reasons I did not join the Marines. Marines are Naval Infantry. Naval Infantry go on a boat. Boats go in the water. Sharks in the water. Our shark.

Cool to learn Alien was the #1 film for a while in the beginning.

For me the horse scene wasn't among the most memorable. Even though it's a short part of the film, the whole part with Tom going to see Woltz was one of the weaker parts of the film inbetween, the excellent wedding scene and the introduction of Sollozo. It kind of felt unnecessary, i do understand it was portraying a real life event of Willie Morreti apparently threatining Tommy Dorsey for Frank Sinatra and to show the Corleones capabilities, but it just feels like the only major part of the movie that doesn't really connect to anything else.

I realize that the Canoli scene is pretty funny but there's alot of scenes i find funnier. Sonny is hilarious, "Badabing you blow your brains all over your nice ivy league suit"

I agree with you. But most people who watch the film, even if they don't like it, would go back and tell their friends about a horse's head being cut off, it's the most striking image and my mum never actually let me watch the film because of that scene.

And I agree too, I love Sonny

It's just as these lists have gone on, each host has taken everything good about the last one and made it better.
Yeah, I'm screwed.

Thanks for setting an impossible hurdle to jump there, Holden.

Cool to learn Alien was the #1 film for a while in the beginning.
Almost the exact same thing happened with The Terminator, but that was the frontrunner until pretty late in the game from what I remember. So yeah, the sci-fi/horror buffs do tend to vote early, probably because they know what they like, I guess.

And Deadite had Jaws surface as his number four, giving him a posthumous even twenty, total. Below in red, you can see the five of his choices that did not make the Top 100.

Deadite’s List

1. Marathon Man (#73)
2. Alien (#5)
3. Dawn of the Dead (#35)
4. Jaws (#2)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
6. Phantasm
7. Harold & Maude (#27)
8. The Deer Hunter (#38)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
10. Who Can Kill A Child?
11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#14)
12. Walkabout (#67)
13. The Conversation (#18)
14. Taxi Driver (#3)
15. Carrie (#36)
16. Salň
17. Catch-22
18. Straw Dogs (#83)
19. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#8)
20. Annie Hall (#30)
21. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
22. Apocalypse Now (#9)
23. Midnight Express
24. The Godfather Part II (#10)
25. Star Wars (#4)

R.I.P.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	#DJaws.jpg
Views:	758
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	17116   Click image for larger version

Name:	#Dmisses.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	17117  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Let the night air cool you off
As always, I've put the list on imdb for those of you who imdb. - http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070431513/

and here is my list

1. Taxi Driver
2. Apocalypse Now
3. Aguirre, the Wrath of God
4. The Godfather
5. Amarcord
6. Barry Lyndon
7. Eraserhead
8. A Clockwork Orange
9. Suspiria
10. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
11. Le Boucher
12. The Exorcist
13. The Outlaw Josey Wales
14. Chinatown
15. Hausu
16. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
17. Cria Cuervos
18. Stalker
19. The Godfather: Part II
20. Jaws
21. Star Wars
22. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
23. Dog Day Afternoon
24. Death Race 2000
25. Zombie

Ugh... TG at #1.

Here's my list... I might be mistaken, but Amityville didn't make the list?

#1 Film - Alien - 5th

2. Deliverance - 51st

3. Star Wars - 4th

4. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - 14th

5. Midnight Express -

6. Jaws - 2nd

7. The Deer Hunter - 38th

8. Carrie - 36th

9. Turkish Delight -

10. Soldier Of Orange -

11. Superman The Movie - 23rd

12. The Poseidon Adventure -

13. The Exorcist - 12th

14. Mad Max - 70th

15. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 25th

16. The Wicker Man - 79th

17. Logan’s Run - 100th

18. A Man Called Horse -

19. The Amityville Horror -

20. Star Trek The Motion Picture -

21. Rocky - 11th

22. Duel -

23. Westworld -

24. Dawn Of The Dead - 35th

25. Assault On Precinct 13 - 80th

I agree with you. But most people who watch the film, even if they don't like it, would go back and tell their friends about a horse's head being cut off, it's the most striking image and my mum never actually let me watch the film because of that scene.

And I agree too, I love Sonny
The first time i watched The Godfather when i was 13 or 14 Sonny was my favourite character, since the multiple rewatches it's became Michael and Vito. Have you read the book? Imo FFC improved Sonnys character alot, and also changed Carlo quite a bit to make his death more satisfying.

Just listened to the podcast, great stuff guys

And nope, I haven't read the book, but I will definitely have to give it a try, never really thought about it before actually.

I was one of the only thirty-three MoFos not to include The Godfather anywhere on my ballot, but I had Jaws as my sixth overall pick, giving me twenty-two out of twenty-five as my official total.

1. Chinatown (6)
2. Taxi Driver (3)
3. Nashville (43)
4. A Clockwork Orange (7)
5. Young Frankenstein (15)
6. Jaws (2)
7. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (22)
8. Little Big Man (61)
9. The Conversation (18)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (81)
11. A Boy and His Dog (DNP)
12. The Long Goodbye (19)
13. Breaking Away (95)
14. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (8)
15. Days of Heaven (29)
16. Solaris (39)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (94)
18. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (21)
19. MASH (78)
20. Don’t Look Now (72)
21. Monty Python’s Life of Brian (41)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (60)
23. Tess (DNP)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (62)
25. Stroszek (115)

Only one other MoFo voted for A Boy and His Dog, and they had it as their number twenty-three pick. That placed it somewhere in the 240s on the list, not even a glimmer of a shot to make the top hundred. Oh, well. You can read a lot about my thoughts on this great, gritty low budget Sci-Fi tale HERE. If only I had written that review earlier? Mayhaps I could have at least persuaded a third or fourth person to vote for it here? I’ll have to do some more work getting you guys to watch it, before the inevitable MoFo Sci-Fi List.

I love Tess. It’s the second Polanski I had on my list, and in a top hundred I’d probably have found room for his MacBeth, too. Tess I initially had on my 1980s list, because I generally go by when titles were Academy Award eligible. Even though Tess was released in Europe and elsewhere in 1979, it didn’t hit America until 1980. It was nominated for six Oscars at the 1981 ceremony, including Best Picture and Best Director, the year that Ordinary People beat out Raging Bull and The Elephant Man. Tess won Oscars for Cinematography, Art Direction, and Costume Design. Polanski’s darkness fits well with Thomas Hardy’s story of a young woman of little means whose beauty has her put through the ringer. But my three points were all it got on this countdown, so no visibility on the ‘70s list. Oh, well. For more on Polanski’s filmography, clicky HERE.

But do check out Tess.

And Stroszek I talked a bit about when the 101-130s were revealed. Herzog’s odd tale of an odd man coming to America was our collective #115. I wonder if as many MoFos had seen it as saw Aguirre that it might have actually squeaked onto the bottom of the top hundred? It’s a shame that Werner only has one film on this countdown (though it made the Top 25), and he got completely shut out of the ‘80s (I voted for Fitzcarraldo, to no avail).

Whatareyougonnado?

For more on Herzog check out THIS thread.

Got to check out Tess.

Stroszeck would have easily made my list had I watched it in time.

Here's my list. Only 2 didn't make it, neither of which I expected to make it anyway.

1. One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Milos Forman
2. Apocalypse Now – Francis Ford Coppola
3. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre – Tobe Hooper
4. A Clockwork Orange – Stanley Kubrick
5. Jaws – Steven Spielberg
6. Carrie – Brian DePalma
7. The Godfather – Francis Ford Coppola
8. The Godfather Part II – Francis Ford Coppola
9. Alien – Ridley Scott
10. The Exorcist – William Friedkin
11. Taxi Driver – Martin Scorsese
12. The Tenant – Roman Polanski