Best Opening & Closing Scenes

Tools    

I would have to say Final Destination 2, and Pulp Fiction.

Best Closing: The Usual Suspects. It's not even close.

WARNING: "The Usual Suspects" spoilers below
I still get chills watching Kevin Spacey dragging his foot and gradually turning it back into a normal walk.
I couldn't agree more.

crazed out movie freak
The Sopranos

Best Opening for me would be Swordfish for the best ending I choose 300

crazed out movie freak
Best opening and closing go to the same movie for me, The Departed.

Best opening:
Children of Men
Nightmare On Elm Street (although it was more the set-up than the scene; I thought the blonde was going to be the heroine and then she gets slashed and I had no idea what was going on).

Closing:
John Carpenter's The Thing--Kurt Russell and Keith David staring each other down, not knowing if either was infected...

crazed out movie freak
Yeah, Children of Men good opening. Who expected that beginning? It's a shame what followed up that beginning was a bunch of waste.

Movie Forums Extra
Opening: Reservoir Dogs

Closing: Kill Bill vol. 1

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, Children of Men good opening. Who expected that beginning? It's a shame what followed up that beginning was a bunch of waste.
No, it wasn't. But, thanks for playing!

Meanwhile:

INLAND EMPIRE (Lynch, 2006)

Fantastic, guttural, visceral opening... I popped it in to watch the opening last night, you know, just for a few minutes... Three hours later, the credits are rolling.... Sick ****.

BEST OPENING: Requiem for a Dream

BEST CLOSING: Lost in Translation

See the trailer here:

All the Snout...Twice the Ointment.
I think the movie with the best opening and closing scenes is

City Lights (1931)

The first scene with the statue is hysterical and the last scene is one of the most touching.
Totally agree. This is one of the reasons it's in my top ten favs of all time. Particularly the last scene. Still chokes me up.

Definitely agree with City Lights and Star Wars.... and I would add the opening scene in Apocalypse Now....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Definitely agree with City Lights and Star Wars.... and I would add the opening scene in Apocalypse Now....
Hell yes! I can't find that song by The Doors anywhere, and it's killing me.

The End is on the soundtrack for Apocalypse Now and the Best of the Doors CD....
I know... and for whatever reason I can't track down those CDs. lol. Bad luck, I guess.