Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Ripley's Game, 2002

Tom Ripley (John Malkovich), Patricia Highsmith's sociopathic creation, is living in a gorgeous house with a beautiful girlfriend and dealing in the world of art. When he's insulted by a local art framer named Jonathan (Dougray Scott), Ripley finagles a way to get a local mobster (Ray Winstone) to enlist Jonathan to assassinate a rival mobster. Jonathan, who is dying of leukemia, agrees to take the job because he wants to earn money for his family before he passes.

I have to wonder how I would have felt about this film if it weren't for the fact that I just recently watched The American Friend, a 1977 adaptation of the same source novel as Ripley's Game. The 70s version, directed by Wim Wenders and starring Dennis Hopper in the strangest incarnation of Ripley I've seen, has an appealingly off-kilter approach to the story.

By comparison, this version feels a lot more by-the-numbers. For me, of course, the 70s version had the benefit of novelty. This time around I knew the trajectory of the plot. And, further, many of the moments that really stood out to me in the 70s version (such as Jonathan talking to his son in the bathtub, or an action sequence on a train), felt overly familiar here. Even Malkovich's approach to the character feels a bit "classic sociopath." I've not read this Ripley novel (I have read three of them), but there were several moments of dialogue that felt a bit too "writerly".

On the plus side, the film is technically strong. The direction and the acting are all really solid. And I liked the way that we watch Scott's Jonathan evolve---not necessarily in a positive direction--as he gets deeper and deeper into the world of hired killing. The film seems to be aiming for a sort of see-saw dynamic, where Ripley makes Jonathan a bit colder and harder, and Jonathan makes Ripley a bit more sentimental.

That last point was something I felt unsure about. Ripley being protective of Jonathan because he likes him just doesn't totally compute for me. I more like the idea that Ripley sees Jonathan as his creature to torment, and resents the idea that someone else might step in and take over.

There were several strong sequences in this film, and overall I enjoyed it. Something I didn't vibe with were the scenes between Ripley and his girlfriend. They weren't badly written or acted, per se, they just didn't feel relevant or connected to the larger plot. I'm sure there was maybe something thematic that I just missed, but every time the film landed on Ripley and his girlfriend I was like "Ugh . . . no."

This was a good movie---and it's one of Ebert's Great Films!--but it didn't have the magic that I felt with the 70s adaptation. Worth watching, certainly, just pales a bit in comparison to The American Friend.

I gave The American Friend a rewatch over the weekend and wouldn't mind revisiting this either. A couple of thoughts, perhaps clouded by not having seen this super recently:

I like Malkovich as Ripley, but the fact that he plays him so conventionally makes me prefer Hopper (and Delon, for that matter). I think Highsmith's prose captures Ripley's essence so well that I prefer actors who do their own take. Malkovich is quite good, but also seems a little too faithful to distinguish himself in the same way.

I recently watched Croupier and Clive Owen's character in that reminded me quite a bit of Ripley here. I don't know if you've seen that movie, but there's the sense that Owen's character views others as a means to an end, but also has a certain sense of ethics and does care about others, even if it's in a cold, mathematical way. I do think Malkovich balances those sides of his character well enough, but I remember finding the scenes with the girlfriend comparatively flat (I'm open to revisiting the movie but I wonder if it's intentional for that reason). Hopper's relatively unpredictable presence I think bridges those contradictions without the need for a girlfriend character.

Curious to see how the murder sequences hold up, because I found The American Friend especially rewarding on a visual level during those scenes.

I must push back a bit here. I think her character doesn't really need an arc. I think her character is used as a Shepard for the naive audience. They discover the brutality and reality of living in Wind River through her. I'm glad there wasn't some love story between Renner and Olsen. Or showing Olsen gaining respect, she was an FBI agent, comes with it. I feel like her character severed it's purpose as a vehicle of discovery. Just my 2 cents because I think it's one of the better movies to come out the last 5 years. (Few and far between)

I forgot the opening line.

By "Copyright 1955 United Artists Corp" - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from the original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=85713664

The Night of the Hunter - (1955)

I made room in my schedule to squeeze this in. Robert Mitchum has been in a few films I've watched recently - this role is one of his greatest, and as far as movie villains go probably outdoes his Max Cady in Cape Fear. The "love" and "hate" tattoos on his fingers became famously emblematic of evil. Charles Laughton directed! It's a film you have to see numerous times to really appreciate I feel - and as such I'm rating it lower than almost anyone else would to begin with. I was a little underwhelmed by everything apart from Robert Mitchum's character and performance - considering how highly regarded this film is. This happens often with me though. I'm looking forward to exploring this film in more detail later on down the track.

7/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=982238

Watership Down - (1978)

When I was a little kid, this was one of my friend's favourite animated films - and I swore I'd watch it one day. Yeah - it took me a little while, but I finally did it. It's a kid's film which really doesn't shy away from the violence and death you meet when you really examine nature. A really bittersweet film. Worth it for the tremendously sad "bright eyes" scene alone :

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Re-posting an older review here just for funsies:

A Quiet Place (Krasinski, '18)

If they hear you, they hunt you.

WARNING: spoilers below
Imagine, if you will, a post-apocalyptic world, one which is (literally) deathly silent, and where making any kind of noise that is even just remotely loud immediately causes your quick and grisly death. Imagine that you have to live the entire rest of your life this way, while also having to care for and protect your entire family, which of course, means living with four other people (including a couple of very young children) who can potentially produce an unintentional noise, and get every single one of you killed in the blink of an eye. Now imagine that your wife will soon give birth to a squirming, screaming baby, with only a couple of weeks left for you to to find a way for her to safely (which, in this case, means silently) give birth, all while keeping everyone involved, above all things, quiet. Well, John Krasinski has imagined such a world for us in A Quiet Place, a movie that skillfully blends an irresistable, high-concept gimmick with a consistently tense and thrilling execution, resulting in a combination of visceral, high-concept thrills with A-movie craft that is disappointingly rare to encounter in modern film.

When it comes to the film's story, I already described pretty much everything you need to know about the film's plot, and, while there are a few important specifics that haven't been mentioned yet (the most important of which being the daughter's hearing impairment, which justifies the entire family being proficient in sign language, a skill that, of course, helps explain how they've improbably survived so long), for the most part, A Quiet Place is a very simple, straightforward film, one that's mostly distinguished by its central gimmick of hideous monsters that hunt people exclusively by sound, both in its (literally) quieter first half, and its relentlessly escalating, unbearably intense finale. Whereas it's easy to imagine a less dedicated filmmaker merely using the idea for an occasionally cheap jump scare, and forget about it completely the rest of the time, Krasinksi goes all the way here with Place's "silence is survival" conceit, placing a refreshingly restrained and mature emphasis on almost completely non-verbal storytelling (through subtitled sign language and other means), carefully focusing every single scene and moment around a constant awareness of every potentially life-ending noise the characters are making.

Krasinski retains a certain, strong discipline around his practical executions of the idea, showing us how the family gets around their farmland in silence by walking barefoot ontop of paths of freshly laid sand, or a moment when the son lets out a long pent-in yell of joy when he's led to a cacophonous, noise-masking waterfall in the woods, or when the mother and father (portrayed by Krasinski and his real-life spouse Emily Blunt) use a pair of shared earbuds to enjoy a romantic dance while listening to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon", a lovely moment of sound in world that's otherwise been turned into a silent Hell. Of course, that isn't to suggest that such pathos are A Quiet Place's biggest strength on the whole, as a few of the more personal, emotional moments among the family here either feel a bit like shoehorned afterthoughts, or are simply just not developed at all (the ending in particular finishes on a rather sudden, "cutesy" little audience-pleaser note, rather than with a more thoughtful, reverent direction I feel would've suited the film better).

That being said, the film still finishes strong with its 2nd half, which is basically a non-stop domino effect of narrow escapes and unabashed creature feature scares, delivering the kind of guttural, horrifically tense thrills that were mostly (and smartly) denied to us during the film's almost completely silent opening act, as we marvel in fear at just how the family can possibly escape whatever latest, horrible situation they find themselves trapped in. One horrific turn just leads to another which inevitably leads to another, with the final 45 minutes of a Place containing more sheer terror and excitement than most other movies can deliver in two-plus hours. Minor quibbles aside, A Quiet Place was a great time at the theater, and already a strong contender for one of the best Horror/Thrillers in a year that isn't even halfway over yet, so unlike the characters here, don't be afraid to spread the word!

Favorite Moment:

Final Score: 8.5

Set in 1966 Vietnam a small group of pretty green Australian and New Zealand soldiers are surrounded and being overrun by a much larger group of North Vietnam soldiers. Feels a little like an Australian We Were Soldiers and it's good, if battle scenes are your thing. Solid cinematography, not a lot of character development.

I must push back a bit here. I think her character doesn't really need an arc. I think her character is used as a Shepard for the naive audience. They discover the brutality and reality of living in Wind River through her. I'm glad there wasn't some love story between Renner and Olsen. Or showing Olsen gaining respect, she was an FBI agent, comes with it. I feel like her character severed it's purpose as a vehicle of discovery. Just my 2 cents because I think it's one of the better movies to come out the last 5 years. (Few and far between)
I agree that she doesn't need an arc and also about how she is used as a shepherd, but I still think she feels like an incomplete character, or perhaps not a very interesting one. As for a love story, I feel like they were pushing that a bit, even if they didn't get to it (thankfully!) But there was a decent dose of longing looks and awkward silences between them.

Anyway, my rating was pretty solid so I like to emphasize that I did like the film.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I guess I'm not surprised. Censorship of anything but the approved party line is fairly ubiquitous these days. And you can bet your bottom dollar that all of the JFK files will never, ever be released, and certainly some have been deleted. There is likely evidence of Deep State culpability, so that connection will never be allowed to surface. They did release the Assassination Records Review Board's files, which I believe was the governmental committee that stated that there was likely more than one shooter. If there was more than one-- bingo. Conspiracy.

IMO there were 3, none of which were Oswald.

Anyway I'll keep trying. I have one other source to check...

Oswald a patsy, and I also don't think he shot anything. The paraffin test showed he didn't fire anything.

Even the House Committee on Assassinations became BS because they threw the blame from the CIA to the Mafia, but they still concluded more than 3 shots. The problem is when they got rid of Richard E. Sprague, who said in a press conference he wouldn't employ the CIA (how can they investigate themselves) so G. Robert Blakey. the company man made sure they got the conclusion they desired, because then they'd have to clean house, and no ruling class deep state is going to voluntarily self-destruct, no matter how many mistakes they make. There's SO many points one could make, but as Mark Twain said, "It's easier to fool people than to convince people they've been fooled" - ego... Trump said he was excited to release the files, but suddenly didn't. Anything they release will be worthless, masquerading as information. Like you said - it's all burnt. Why leave any trail. The same BS about Hoffa. I'm sure they burnt him on the spot. It's too bad Hoffa has been reduced to a running joke, when that 5'6" had more guts and fight than 99% of Americans. His autobiography is on archives.org and his other one is also a good read. There's also two great Hoffa videos.. One on Cavett, which is good, but then an even better one, where he's VERY candid.. I had the Playboy article, but I'm an archive fanatic, and love to go to the source, and come to my own conclusions as opposed to what they take from it.

https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

It makes a great companion piece to

Victim of The Night
I agree, and I also thought she was great with the role she was playing.

I like Malkovich as Ripley, but the fact that he plays him so conventionally makes me prefer Hopper (and Delon, for that matter). I think Highsmith's prose captures Ripley's essence so well that I prefer actors who do their own take. Malkovich is quite good, but also seems a little too faithful to distinguish himself in the same way.
I agree. Ripley is very off-kilter internally, and a bit off-kilter externally. In a book this works, but in a movie I think the actor needs to bring a little weird to the role and make a little more of his otherness visible.

I recently watched Croupier and Clive Owen's character in that reminded me quite a bit of Ripley here. I don't know if you've seen that movie, but there's the sense that Owen's character views others as a means to an end, but also has a certain sense of ethics and does care about others, even if it's in a cold, mathematical way. I do think Malkovich balances those sides of his character well enough, but I remember finding the scenes with the girlfriend comparatively flat (I'm open to revisiting the movie but I wonder if it's intentional for that reason). Hopper's relatively unpredictable presence I think bridges those contradictions without the need for a girlfriend character.
Exactly. I think that character is a bit akin to Hannibal Lector, especially his portrayal in the TV series Hannibal. Here is a person who is not incapable of a certain kind of affection for other people---because they entertain him or he just grows a bit fond of him. But it's more like he would save someone because it would be fun, the flip side of the fact that he would destroy someone because it would be fun. I'm not quite sure I'd call it ethics, at least not in the conventional sense. I don't think that there's any point in suggesting that Ripley is "discovering his humanity" (which is how one or two moments feel in Ripley's Game), more like he sometimes indulges in it from time to time before shaking it off.

Curious to see how the murder sequences hold up, because I found The American Friend especially rewarding on a visual level during those scenes.
I thought they were good, but not as good as The American Friend.

By "Copyright 1955 United Artists Corp" - Scan via Heritage Auctions. Cropped from the original image., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=85713664

The Night of the Hunter - (1955)

I made room in my schedule to squeeze this in. Robert Mitchum has been in a few films I've watched recently - this role is one of his greatest, and as far as movie villains go probably outdoes his Max Cady in Cape Fear. The "love" and "hate" tattoos on his fingers became famously emblematic of evil. Charles Laughton directed! It's a film you have to see numerous times to really appreciate I feel - and as such I'm rating it lower than almost anyone else would to begin with. I was a little underwhelmed by everything apart from Robert Mitchum's character and performance - considering how highly regarded this film is. This happens often with me though. I'm looking forward to exploring this film in more detail later on down the track.

7/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=982238

Watership Down - (1978)

When I was a little kid, this was one of my friend's favourite animated films - and I swore I'd watch it one day. Yeah - it took me a little while, but I finally did it. It's a kid's film which really doesn't shy away from the violence and death you meet when you really examine nature. A really bittersweet film. Worth it for the tremendously sad "bright eyes" scene alone :

7/10
These are both 9/10 films for me, largely because of their visuals.

Victim of The Night
I agree that she doesn't need an arc and also about how she is used as a shepherd, but I still think she feels like an incomplete character, or perhaps not a very interesting one. As for a love story, I feel like they were pushing that a bit, even if they didn't get to it (thankfully!) But there was a decent dose of longing looks and awkward silences between them.

Anyway, my rating was pretty solid so I like to emphasize that I did like the film.
That's interesting because I felt like there was a lot of depth to her and that was the point of getting an Elizabeth Olsen instead of just some actress. They needed someone who could convey that depth and bring the actual character and not just "generic movie female FBI agent" without having to tell her whole story.

Victim of The Night
These are both 9/10 films for me, largely because of their visuals.
They are both 9/10 for me too, but only partly because of their visuals.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

[The American Media and the 2nd Assassination of JFK] I guess I'm not surprised. Censorship of anything but the approved party line is fairly ubiquitous these days. And you can bet your bottom dollar that all of the JFK files will never, ever be released, and certainly some have been deleted. There is likely evidence of Deep State culpability, so that connection will never be allowed to surface. They did release the Assassination Records Review Board's files, which I believe was the governmental committee that stated that there was likely more than one shooter. If there was more than one-- bingo. Conspiracy.

IMO there were 3, none of which were Oswald.

Anyway I'll keep trying. I have one other source to check...
Checked my final source.... no dice. BTW I agree with your points made in answer to the one above. College courses and lifetimes have been devoted to this subject-- one of the greatest crimes and coverups ever foisted on the American public. I've read 8-10 books on the subject and followed dozens of online sources. But the truth will never come out.

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972)

A pretty standard Giallo. I'm not sure why some reviews bring up the Gothic tones or have high praise for the cinematography (one location being a castle doesn't make a Gothic, and while the film is proficiently shot, it's nothing special IMO). I'd recommend this only for the Giallo fans.
I've never seen it described as "gothic", and can only slightly guess that maybe it would be due to its flirtation with reincarnation. It's more in the category of Hitchcockian thriller, even with that slight Vertigo allusion.

Prime Evil 1988

A coven of devil worshipping monks living in New York city search for victims for their sacrificial ceremonies

One reviewer writes “Yes, when the credits started and they flashed a bloody fake looking puppet monster going “rawr” I knew I was in for a bad movie.

This is when I knew I was in for a good movie and that’s what I got!!!

as another reviewer writes “pure late-80s trash-gold”

Different strokes...

That's interesting because I felt like there was a lot of depth to her and that was the point of getting an Elizabeth Olsen instead of just some actress. They needed someone who could convey that depth and bring the actual character and not just "generic movie female FBI agent" without having to tell her whole story.
I just wanna emphasize once again that I did like the film and that I did say that she and Renner were "solid". I think the reservations I might have with the character have more to do with the writing rather than her performance.

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)

A quite good and a bit sleazy Giallo/krimi. It's essentially the same premise as Dallamano's later film, What Have They Done to Your Daughters?, but if I recall correctly, this one's a bit more Giallo while the latter is more krimi. Not at the top of the genre, but pretty firmly on a tier just below those. The ending is a bit abrupt, and the similarity between the two films is kinda annoying, but there's nothing seriously wrong with this one. Recommended for the general population.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Guardians (Xavier Beauvois, 2017)
6/10
Editing (Dustin Guy Defa, 2021)
5/10
The Joy of Life (Jenni Olson, 2005)
6.5/10
To Have and Have Not (Howard Hawks, 1944)
7/10

He can manage OK.
Tongues Untied (Marlon Riggs, 1989)
- 6.5/10
The Crowded Sky (Joseph Pevney, 1960)
5.5/10
Intrusion (Adam Salky, 2021)
5/10
Marquise (Véra Belmont, 1997)
6.5/10

Sexy, luxurious film about dancer Sophie Marceau becoming a great actress during the time of Molière, Jean Racine and Louis XIV.
A Call to Spy (Lydia Dean Pilcher, 2019)
6/10
August the First (Lanre Olabisi, 2007)
5/10
Tall Man Riding (Lesley Selander, 1955)
5.5/10
Color Adjustment (Marlon Riggs, 1992)
7/10

Entertaining history of how TV slowly changed to let people of color on the tube.
Riding Shotgun (André De Toth, 1954)
5.5/10
A Night at the Movies: Cops & Robbers and Crime Writers (Laurent Bouzereau, 2013)
6.5/10
Vigil (Vincent Ward, 1984)
5.5/10
Celebration at Big Sur (Baird Bryant & Johanna Demetrakas, 1971)
- 6.5/10

Sloppy but fine historical record of the great music that went down at the 1969 Big Sur Folk Festival.
Her Name Was Jo (Joe Duca, 2020)
+ 5/10
Truth or Consequences (Hannah Jayanti, 2020)
6/10
The Winds of Autumn (Charles B. Pierce, 1976)
5/10
The Last Stop (Todd Nilssen, 2017)
+ 6.5/10

Scarier than any house in a horror movie is Elan's "Therapeutic" boarding school in Poland, Maine.