Federico Fellini

Tools    

I'm interested in watching his movies. I'd just like someone to suggest me which ones I should watch first. (The ones that are less weird and easier to comprehend) this way I'll be familliar to his style and could understand his more weird stuff.

(I don't know in what section I should post it move it if it's in the wrong place)

thanks

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I second the question. I've seen 8 1/2 and La Strada and hated both.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Unregistered User
I'm interested in watching his movies. I'd just like someone to suggest me which ones I should watch first. (The ones that are less weird and easier to comprehend) this way I'll be familliar to his style and could understand his more weird stuff.

(I don't know in what section I should post it move it if it's in the wrong place)

thanks
Likewise, i watched 8 1/2 and couldnt even finish it, going to give it another go though.

i'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'd suggest Amarcord. He's remembering his childhood, so with memories you already have the unreliable narrator. Fellini's essential exaggeration gets good play here; his characters are never real flesh and blood people, but always exaggerated into caricatures. The lady at the tobacco shop was probably a normal woman, but he "remembers" her as an Amazon. The snowfall was probably average event, but he "remembers" it as the biggest one of he'll ever see.

Maybe afterwards, La Strada? The story of a stupid man who throws away his greatest happiness is pretty straight forward.

But Fellini is definitely an acquired taste.

Unregistered User
I'd suggest Amarcord. He's remembering his childhood, so with memories you already have the unreliable narrator. Fellini's essential exaggeration gets good play here; his characters are never real flesh and blood people, but always exaggerated into caricatures. The lady at the tobacco shop was probably a normal woman, but he "remembers" her as an Amazon. The snowfall was probably average event, but he "remembers" it as the biggest one of he'll ever see.

Maybe afterwards, La Strada? The story of a stupid man who throws away his greatest happiness is pretty straight forward.

But Fellini is definitely an acquired taste.
Cheers TD, Amarcord, La Strada and 8 1/2 (again) have all been added to the watchlist.

Amarcord or La Dolce Vita. Don't be intimidated by the run-time, it flys by.

I started with La Strada and then 8 1/2 and I don't want to watch anything from him now. Go figure

Only one I've liked is Nights of Cabiria. All the others I found to be mediocre or bad.

Proobably the least strange that I've seen is La Strada, at the same time it's by fra my least favorite, therefore I'd start with Amarcord

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
Try with "I vitelloni" since it is quite a linear story. If you liked I Vitelloni then go with" La dolce Vita".

Dolce Vita was wonderfull. Beautifull scenes

Must be doin sumthin right
Fellini's probably the biggest filmic sacred cow that I don't "get." I feel myself trying to will myself into liking some of his movies when I watch them. Can't stand something I love as a much as movies turning into homework