This has to be one of the most genius and groundbreaking cinematic triumphs I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

The complexity of Elizabeth Olsen's character, Therese, is astounding. Presented in the beginning as a sorrowful character whom we empathise with, a character without much choice in the world, we feel joy alongside her when she finally finds her own happiness through Laurent (Oscar Isaacs). It is at this point where we believe that this story will follow the structure of the romantic period dramas we have come to know and love, though we soon realise that this is far from the case.

Shortly after the pair realise how much they mean to each other, things start to take a dark and dramatic turn for the worse. I will refrain from spoiling the ins and outs of the rest of the plot (this film, like many others, works better when the progression and ending is unexpected).

What I can tell you is this: I am surprised that this film was glossed over in the 2014 awards season. The director, Charlie Stratton, clearly understood exactly what he wanted his audience to think and feel, not to mention the compelling acting of Elizabeth Olsen, Oscar Isaacs and Tom Felton, plus many more of the incredible cast.

5/5- Extremely impressive