Gorky Park (1983)

→ in
Tools    

i love 80s films, and this continues the trend of brilliant thrillers from that era.
This is a tight, very well constructed police procedural that is a little exotic, with the cops and functionaries being Russians.
the plot goes as : An investigator on the Moscow police force relentlessly pursues the solution to a triple homicide which occurred in Moscow's Gorky Park. He finds that no one really wants him to solve the crime because it is just the tip of a complex conspiracy which involves the highest levels of the Moscow city government.
william hurt does a great job here as russian cop which tries to uncover what happened that night at Gorky Park, Joanna Pacula is simply amazing here aswell, with nuanced performances from her side, Micheal Apted always gives us that dreaded feeling all along with his films, something that i really give credit to.
a great film and a major recommendations for thriller moviegoers.

Victim of The Night
I'm a big fan of this movie. I actually enjoyed it even more on a recent re-watch (I hadn't seen it since probably the early 90s after having watched it many times in the 80s), it felt like the plot slowed down for me a bit this time and I really had a good grasp of everything that was going on. I think the performances are great, particularly Hurt's, you can totally see why he was such a big star in the days when a real actor like him could still be a big star. Marvin is great, everybody's great. Just a great thriller.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Great movie. I still wonder why they didn't adapt the other Arkady Renko adventures. They had a whole Harry-Palmer-like series in their hands. And the first sequel, taking place entirely on an icebreaker, could have been visually awesome.