Older Movie/TV Show (1980's) with Plot Similar to "In Time"?!

Tools    

Hi!

I had to join this forum to see if anyone could help me to identify an old movie/TV show that I have memories of seeing as a child, but can't find any clues about whatsoEVER!

I believe this was from the late 1980's, maybe early 90's. The plot is similar to the new "In Time" movie that just came out, though far less action. It takes place far in the future, all people have these small black devices with red digital clocks that count down their remaining life. These they wear or are attached to them. This time is used as currency, so rich people can live forever and poor people just die. The main character is from poverty, but is climbing to the upper classes and is torn between these two worlds.

Some scenes I remember - the protagonist is a salesman perhaps, he is trying to sell a tree to a group of men. In this future trees are incredibly rare or almost non-existent so this is like a rare specimen. No one knows what it is, then one guy goes "oh, I've heard of these. they're supposed to make a nice sound when the wind blows through them."

The movie ends with the protagonist driving away from his mother's funeral (her time ran out) which is basically just a hole in the ground in the country. He is in a limo with the blue blood types and they have embraced him - he will now live forever as a rich person.

I hope someone has some idea of what I'm talking about! I can't waste any more company time googling random phrases I think would've come from the movie to try and find clues...

Thanks!

The Price of Life (1987)

Maybe it was a part of this Tv Series, I dont know.
American Playhouse

It's a short film. Found no other info except on IMDb. I just read the user reviews and I think this might be your movie.

In the future money is not the most valuable commodity – nor stocks nor shares. Instead the currency of choice is time and the populace are able to trade hours, days and weeks off their lives in exchange for services and goods. Into this world is born baby Zachary – who grows into a little boy with a game plan and a scheme to make more time; whereas his sister swaps weeks for sweets etc as if it didn't matter. As adults, Zachary has continued this path, but so has his sister and he finds himself trying to challenge the rules to try and save her and his mother.
Here a link to the video:

Semper Fooey
I only watched the beginning and you can't skip through it to get to the end. I don't see digital clocks, people have small white calculators with their remaining time. But a key plot point is there are no trees so it looks like that's it.

Thanks so much! I just spent my lunch break watching the short film on vimeo and it is most definitely the one I was talking about!

For the longest time I thought I dreamed it or something. I guess I was a little shaky on some details, but seeing as I was between 5 and 8 years old when I first saw it I suppose that's to be expected...

Thanks again!!