The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The dark and eery atmosphere of the film is what makes Halloween excel so well. The story is great (which is a real rarity these days for horrors) and the score and directing is superb.
I don't find it so eerie. It hides a lot of stuff in the dark, and as I've recently come to realize, hiding stuff and letting your imagination "fill in the blanks" -- people are lying when they think that makes something scarier. Scarier is anything that doesn't fill in the blanks and it just GIVES YOU and shows you what you're imagining. Reality is always more frightening, not the safety and security of the playtime of your imagination. The music and all that -- that's just a distraction. That's an imagination filler. That's a substitute for the real horror, which it is avoiding.

This is a list first. A person having a film at #7 and thinking it's not good.
Coffy should have been there instead.

I am always getting screwed. Brothers almost made the millennium list, too, but thanks to me putting Hedwig higher, that made it and Brothers ended up being 103 or something like that.

If the story is so great in Halloween, how come after many years in lockup when he escapes he immediately jumps into a car and drives off? Ridiculous. Just like the rest of the movie. The only saving grace for the flick is the soundtrack. The Friday series is by far superior to the Halloween series in my ever so humble opinion.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If the story is so great in Halloween, how come after many years in lockup when he escapes he immediately jumps into a car and drives off? Ridiculous. Just like the rest of the movie. The only saving grace for the flick is the soundtrack. The Friday series is by far superior to the Halloween series in my ever so humble opinion.
Eh, but what isn't ridiculous in a horror movie. I don't know. It's a fricken tough crowd on this forum lately.

Let the night air cool you off
If the story is so great in Halloween, how come after many years in lockup when he escapes he immediately jumps into a car and drives off? Ridiculous. Just like the rest of the movie. .
I think it really depends on whether or not you consider Michael to be human or a supernatural evil. I think the ending clearly indicates that he is something more than a human. You can't kill evil. Evil could probably drive a car without a license.

Doesn't really matter what the naysayers say, I think the 17 ranking for Halloween speaks for itself.

Stalker and Harold and Maude on the other hand...

Never understood the hype behind The Conversation, but glad to see Halloween do so well. I think I voted for it, but it almost missed the cut on my list.

Wow, Altman made a comeback! Seems the vote was a bit split between McCabe and The Long Goodbye - I didn't really think either would show up at this point. Fwiw, I voted for both; McCabe & Mrs. Miller was in my top ten.

I'm surprised at the people who are surprised that The Long Goodbye showed up as high as it did. Were they somehow oblivious to all of the MoFo buzz that had been surrounding it in the months leading up to the countdown?

Eh, but what isn't ridiculous in a horror movie. I don't know. It's a fricken tough crowd on this forum lately.
It's tough seeing you try to become SC Junior. I mean actually tough. SC usually makes you crack a smile at least and it's never actually clear whether SC is kidding or not; but since the 60s vs animation thread, you've clearly became his weaker conjoined twin.

I know this is only a joke and maybe it's only me, but lately i've cringed at your comments so much i've tried to skip most of them.

It's tough seeing you try to become SC Junior. I mean actually tough. SC usually makes you crack a smile at least and it's never actually clear whether SC is kidding or not; but since the 60s vs animation thread, you've clearly became his weaker conjoined twin.

I know this is only a joke and maybe it's only me, but lately i've cringed at your comments so much i've tried to skip most of them.
Good. Join my hate fest going on. It's the new thing.

Of course. The absolute worst horror movie of all time makes the list.
Halloween is the worst horror movie of all-time? You haven't seen one that's worse than that?

I didn't think Honeykid voted for Caligula, but I was really thinking Gunslinger might have. Maybe Miss Vicky did. But she probably didn't, so there must be someone else who likes that movie.

It was probably Yoda again.
I might actually pay a little money to watch Yoda watch Caligula.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

He's even been sending me PMs telling me he's thinking about leaving the forums. He feels like he doesn't get any respect.

Raul admires me. That's why he's Sexy 2.0. It makes sense. You know, he and I have the same birthday (11/14) AND we joined Movie Forums on the same day (02/08). Different years, but same days. We are pretty much twins on here. My siamese twin brother.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Conversation almost made my list. To be honest, if I had made the time to watch it again, it probably would have.

Halloween was on my list. It certainly scares me. Viewing after viewing, I still don't want to watch it if I'm home alone for the evening. I can't wait to watch it again for the horror challenge.

My best friend's niece just turned 13 and is now allowed to watch more horror than she was before, so I get to witness someone watching it for the first time. That's going to make it a whole lot of fun.

Of course. The absolute worst horror movie of all time makes the list.
plz be serious for one moment... an horror movie with one great soundtrack , one of the best psychotic killer of all-time and one of the greatest atmosphere and thrilling scenes put in a horror movie ... and you call that the worst horror movie ;; listen to House Of The Dead this is really the worst horror movie ever made .

Yeah, so Coppola's got 4 in the top 20. That's something.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."