Big Trouble In Little China... Remake

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
So apparently Johnson wants Carpenter himself to direct the remake. While I appreciate the sentiment on Johnson's part, I'm skeptical considering how Carpenter doesn't really seem to give much of a damn about directing any more, especially not when it comes to dealing with Hollywood (and the extremely haphazard quality of his post-Big Trouble career certainly bears that out, especially over the course of the last twenty years). It would be nice if he could pull a George Miller and put out the biggest thrill-ride of his career even as he's pushing 70, but it's hard to get your hopes up.

Hollywood is at it again.

The writers behind X-Men First Class and Thor are penning the script...

And, none other than, ugh, Dwayne The sodding Rock Johnson is starring.

No release date or other details as yet.

This won't have neither the charm nor the humour captured by Carpenter and Kurt Russell.
Was about to say this could be good considering the Departed was a remake of a Hong Kong film, but if it's being directed by the guys who made Thor I have my doubts

Was about to say this could be good considering the Departed was a remake of a Hong Kong film, but if it's being directed by the guys who made Thor I have my doubts
Big Trouble in Little China isn't a Hong Kong film, it's an American film that prominently features Chinese characters and mythology as part of its story.

https://movieweb.com/big-trouble-in-...on-not-remake/

"Apparently, The Rock's Big Trouble in Little China Remake isn't actually a remake. When news broke in 2015 that Dwayne Johnson was working on a modern take on John Carpenter's classic, which stars Kurt Russell as the iconic Jack Burton, it was being called a remake. Updates on the project have been pretty minimal in the years since, but now Johnson's producing partner Hiram Garcia has explained the project, making it clear that this won't be a remake.

Hiram Garcia is one of the core members of Dwayne Johnson's Seven Bucks Productions company. During a recent interview, Garcia was asked about the status of Big Trouble in Little China and what we might be able to expect from that. Garcia promises that Johnson won't be playing Jack Burton and that this will be a continuation of the original. Here's what he had to say about it.

"There's a lot of things going on with [Big Trouble in Little China]. We are in the process of developing that, and let me tell you, the idea is not to actually remake Big Trouble in Little China. You can't remake a classic like that, so what we're planning to do is we're going to continue the story. We're going to continue the universe of Big Trouble in Little China. Everything that happened in the original exists and is standalone and I think there's only one person that could ever play Jack Burton, so Dwayne would never try and play that character. So we are just having a lot of fun. We're actually in a really great space with the story that we've cracked. But yeah, no remake. It is a continuation, and we are deep into development on that as well, and I think you'll start hearing some things about that probably soon."

For now, details are still scarce. Though, Hiram Garcia does promise that some details on this will be coming out soon."

Gotta bring Kurt back, and Carpenter, and a real budget. If not Carpenter, someone who can outdo Carpenter at his own game. Not sure who that'd be. No interest in seeing a continuation if at least some key ingredients are absent. Kind of silly...much sillier than the original film..which is still awesome and highly original.

Aside from Russell and Cattrell, who was not that well known, the roles in the original were mostly filled by character actors. I think the creators of the remake should find some quality character actors for the new film, too.
But I'm also afraid the new creators won't get that the original's depiction of Chinese culture was all done with a wink. Being too concerned about making it politically correct would take all of the fun out of it.

Pfft, as if the original and its incompetent-white-male-hero setup wouldn't get called politically correct if it came out today.

Big Trouble in Little China isn't a Hong Kong film, it's an American film that prominently features Chinese characters and mythology as part of its story.
Although it does feature a pretty strong influence from stuff like Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain and Spooky Encounters.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if we end up seeing some Chinese funding coming the films way. I mean if you revist the original premise then Johnson will be playing the sidekick role thinking he's the hero who's actually the Chinese/Chinese American character.

In terms of directors I wouldn't mind seeing Taika Waititi given this, Thor Ragarok wasn't a million miles away from the original Big Trouble in style.