Fantastic Four 2015 Reboot, why should we care?

Tools    

Over the past few months I've been seeing the trailer for this whenever I went to the theater, and I rolled my eyes each time it came on.

I thought it looked horrible just from the trailer, in those 3 or so minutes the characters just seemed so bland and boring. The "dark and serious" tone seemed boring as well, pretty much everything seemed SO BORING! Even the big explosions and flashy stuff looked so uninspired and the Thing looking like some CGI robot. Every single thing from the trailer was a complete turnoff and I knew I was going nowhere near this movie when it came out.

However, I still kinda thought that they just screwed up with the trailer and that the movie wouldn't be so bad... Well, it turned out that the trailer pretty much said it all. Quite honestly I didn't expect it to be this bad.
I think the "dark and gritty" thing has been a trend in Superhero films ever since the success of the Dark Knight.

Thing is though what worked for a Batman movie isn't necessarily going to work for other franchises like Fantastic Four, or Superman - this is what the directors don't seem to get.

To me FF always seemed like it was on of the "goofier" franchises out there, so even though the previous 2 FF films felt to me just like a Saturday morning superhero cartoon, I still think the campy style fits FF a lot better than this dark and dreary theme. The producers however are just copying a successful formula without regard for the source material or why it was successful in TDK to begin with.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/fantastic...021200954.html

It's gotten really really bad for this mess of a movie.

When the director himself says "it's not my fault" it means even he admits the final product is awful cinema. What more is there to say?

Damn Miles is having a bad week. This terrible movie and the Esquire profile. He has some interesting projects down the line coming up so hopefully he can rebound. Funny thing about the profile is he mentions a bar in our hometown.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/fantastic...021200954.html

It's gotten really really bad for this mess of a movie.

When the director himself says "it's not my fault" it means even he admits the final product is awful cinema. What more is there to say?
So who is he blaming? the actors are taking direction from him... who else's fault would it be?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
"A year ago I had a fantastic version of this", Trank tweeted And it would've received great reviews. You’ll probably never see it. That’s reality though."

Well...this is turning into an unmitigated disaster.

When IGN pans your comic movie, it's unheard of.

I don't think he is blaming the actors performances for the poor critical reception.

A film is made 3 times.
Once when it's written
Once when it's filmed.
Once when it's edited.

Likely he is blaming the editor.

Master of My Domain
But from what I've heard, editing is hardly the main reason why this film sucks.

But from what I've heard, editing is hardly the main reason why this film sucks.
Hard to say without watching it - but pacing can be a huge problem for movies. Also studio can force reshoots, force script changes, etc.

I know where this guy is coming from, as an indie director you have full control over your film. When you're working for a studio you're at their mercy, control goes to those putting up the money.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
They have been implying studio interference.

The telltale tweet-delete is a bad look.

I just saw a commercial and it said it's the movie critics are calling a fantastic blockbuster.
This thread must be wrong.
Well it made 1/2 its budget in just the opening weekend.

So technically it is a "blockbuster" - but then again so was Adam Sandler's "Jack and Jill" - lol

I thought it's coming out this weekend? Are you posting from the future
Sorry I meant it's predicted to make that much on its opening weekend:

In the United States and Canada, Fantastic Four is projected to take the top spot and earn around $40–50 million in its opening weekend from 3,961 theaters

So wait, you're telling me that producing a film solely to retain the film rights doesn't produce a quality film? I'm SHOCKED!

Here's hoping Marvel gets FF back, even if they do nothing with it, better than Fox molesting it any further.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Is anyone else actually starting to feel a little bad for this film? I mean it's just getting such a kicking from all sides; no-one seems to be coming to its defence.

First it was the trades and respected critics who hated it, but that wasn't a huge surprise. They seem to be quite snobby a lot of the time towards superhero films, even with the good ones. Then the film magazines and websites that focus on film in general weighed in and alarms started to really ring. Then the final nail in the coffin; even the sites dedicated to superheroes and other nerdy pursuits got in on the act. A 5/10 from IGN? That's like a 2/10 from anyone else.

Even fanboys are largely hating it. The audience score on RT is 34% with a 2.5/5 average. Even worse though is the imdb score - 4.2!!! That's astonishing. Films of this nature usually debut with a really high score before falling away over the following weeks and months. I remember that even Man of Steel and Godzilla, neither exactly universally loved, were up in the 8s and 9s on their first few days. But to start at a 4.2? Wow. What score do you need to enter the imdb bottom 100? It might not be long before this film is flirting with it. It apparently fell from a 5.6 down to a 4.3 in less than 24 hours. That's one hell of a drop!

Damn Miles is having a bad week. This terrible movie and the Esquire profile. He has some interesting projects down the line coming up so hopefully he can rebound. Funny thing about the profile is he mentions a bar in our hometown.
I may feel bad for the movie and some of the people associated with it, but I don't see me feeling too much sympathy for Miles Teller. The guy seems like an incredible d!ck. I don't imagine there are too many people in the world who would look at Hollywood and decide the actor they most want to emulate is Shia LaBeouf but that appears to be what Teller is doing. He comes across like this arrogant, snarky, entitled douche.

I think we all knew this was going to be gash when they messed up the casting.

Apparently the movie is a drama rather than a superhero film.

I don't feel bad at all for it tbh. I'm not much a fan of the MCU apart from X-Men and Guardians. I borrowed the rest of the MCU on DVD from my mate a couple weeks back... didn't much like them.

I think the "dark and gritty" thing has been a trend in Superhero films ever since the success of the Dark Knight.

Thing is though what worked for a Batman movie isn't necessarily going to work for other franchises like Fantastic Four, or Superman - this is what the directors don't seem to get.

To me FF always seemed like it was on of the "goofier" franchises out there, so even though the previous 2 FF films felt to me just like a Saturday morning superhero cartoon, I still think the campy style fits FF a lot better than this dark and dreary theme. The producers however are just copying a successful formula without regard for the source material or why it was successful in TDK to begin with.
True, but also it seems like the DC movies are the only ones that really go for that style. Batman Vs Superman is definitely going for that style and it does look very interesting. Fantastic Four however is Marvel (yes I know it's not Marvel Studios making it but it's a Marvel comic) and it's Fantastic Four. Like you said, a guy that stretches, a guy that yells "Flame on!" a big moving boulder and a woman that turns invisible feels more like a fun Saturday morning cartoon than a dark, gripping action-drama. If they would've followed the Marvel formula and made it more in the style of Ant-Man, it would've at least been more watchable.

I just saw a commercial and it said it's the movie critics are calling a fantastic blockbuster.
This thread must be wrong.
Are you sure they were actual critic quotes and not just fan tweets? When a movie gets bad reviews from critics sometimes as a last resort they'll put random tweets from random people in its place.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just to be clear this isn't a film of the MCU in the strictest of senses. This is a 20th Century Fox film that Marvel had no creative input with at all. The MCU is the term used to cover the films solely produced by Marvel themselves, it doesn't include films by Fox (the X-Men and Wolverine films, Fantastic Four, Deadpool) or Sony (Spider-Man), or the likes of The Hulk and Ghost Rider.

Oh and the imdb has now dropped even further, 4.1 now. It's dropping like a freaking stone. It may debut at #1 this weekend but given the dreadful reviews and word of mouth the 2nd weekend drop-off may be incredible.