Fantastic Four 2015 Reboot, why should we care?

Tools    

jrs - Yep! I also had that issue of "What If?" at one time (but I never had the Hembeck F.F. Roast comic). I envy you!
I once owned the Treasury Edition-sized Superman & F.F. crossover, and once had first appearance of the Hulk, Spidey, Wolvie, Ghost Rider Fan-Four issue. I've still got a copy of Amalgam's "Challengers of the Fantastic"!

Though the date probably will be different, Fox is still reportedly going ahead with a sequel. Let the FF bashing continue.
Let's be real though, even if Fox still isn't wanting to give it back a sequel is not a priority since this film's release secures their rights for at least seven years.

Second, Sony claimed long after ASM 2 they were going ahead with their own Spider-man universe and they ended up working something out with Marvel, keep in mind audiences and critics were no where as negative about ASM 2 as FF. Then look at movies like Daredevil and Green Lantern, not out right box office bombs, but disappointing in terms of box office and audience reaction was mediocre at best, and in the end both studios saw no incentive to do a sequel.

The thing is, at this point after such a negative reaction FF is a toxic franchise, much like what Batman and Robin did to the Batman franchise. Pretty much useless to Fox and Marvel for the foreseeable future.

Though the date probably will be different, Fox is still reportedly going ahead with a sequel. Let the FF bashing continue.
Let's be real though....
FF may have sunk at the Box Office but I can only get as real as what is being reported by Fox themselves:

It may not make that original 2017 date, but they’re definitely planning to make [Fantastic Four 2]. The next filmmaker in is going to start from a difficult position, and they're going to have to work hard to create their own movie while starting with some of Trank's choices intact. For better or worse, Trank was given room to define these characters, and his signature will remain on the next film no matter who writes and directs it. The next movie will be a reaction to this one.
Source: Hitflix via ScreenCrush

FF may have sunk at the Box Office but I can only get as real as what is being reported by Fox themselves:

Source: Hitflix via ScreenCrush
Yes, and studios do this even when they have no intention of going through with it.

Exhibit A.
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncat...-solid-script/

Exhibit B.
http://screenrant.com/sinister-six-r...er-man-3-2018/

Exhibit C.
http://ifanboy.com/articles/fox-read...-not-involved/

Again, keep in mind all of those franchises were better received critically and in terms of box office. That's all my point is. Not to mention Fox started production literally the day before the rights reverted, so it's clear Fox's intention was to save the rights. They did that, they have seven years now, no reason to sink money into a tainted brand.

Just been reading Forbes...

Fant 4 Stick, even though it's total gash, has still managed to break a record.

Its second weekend takings have dropped 78.7%.

The previous record was for Elektra and Ang Lee's Hulk... and they only dropped 69%
Even Green Lantern dropped only 66% on its second weekend.

Welcome to the human race...
And people have the nerve to tell me I'm ruining cinema because I happened to see this in theatres.

Why should we care? We don't.

I watched it recently and here are my thoughts:

*I also mention Star Wars episodes II and VII, so careful of spoilers for those as well.

WARNING: spoilers below
I enjoyed the original Fantastic Four when it came out. It wasn't amazing but it was light and fun and had likeable characters, who seemed well cast.

This film's characters have a real chill factor. I thought Reed and Victor were the best realised and I liked them even more for not colluding with their employer. This said, apart from Ben, they all lose marks for using a chimpanzee in the first Quantum Gate test. I thought back to Hulk, where a frog or a toad is killed during an experiment and how much it made me dislike the scientists; this was the same. I was surprised that Sue and Reed had such a non-existent relationship – friendly enough but lacking a spark or even much intellectual connection. It's funny that it's Ben who gives Sue a lingering look when they first meet but I reasoned that that was the beginnings of jealousy, as he'd expect her to have more in common with his best friend. Talking of Ben, he's so sidelined during Reed's work at the base! I couldn't believe I'd forgotten about him when Reed eventually invites him to the 'secret' test and it just made me miss Michael Chiklis, who was so memorable in both his character states as Ben Grimm.

The special effects vary in quality. Johnny chasing the drones was the first weak moment I registered and there were others as the film went on. I liked this rendition of the Thing more than I expected to, though I think it could have been done even better. Sue's powers looked very ethereal but a bit basic. I liked Reed being able to change his face and also the close-ups of his stretched limbs on the medical table are probably the best CGI in the film. His fight scenes were pretty average really and more was able to be done in the original two films.

I'd expected this Fantastic Four to be dark but the violence was much darker than I'd anticipated. Victor being showered in the green 'lava' and it penetrating his suit and body is quite graphic, as are some of the transformation scenes and their aftermath. They're so strong I actually remembered Prometheus as a comparison. In the original films I was impressed at how far they could push Doctor Doom's violence while keeping it acceptable – for instance his killing of a character with a bolt through the chest. In this one his path of destruction through the base is fairly horrible, with much use of blood spatter on the walls. Allen's demise is the most severe, seemingly boiled inside his suit with gore sloshing forward onto the visor. I made a connection to Star Wars, where robot-like armour often becomes a facility to conceal the impact of grisly injuries. Jango Fett losing his head would be appalling were it not for the helmet he wears; the same goes for The Last Jedi 's brutal fight scene with Snoke's guards. Here Allen's protective gear doesn't conceal enough to dampen the horror and as much as I liked Doom being represented as monstrous and deadly, I did feel this was irresponsible in a 12A film.

I was sure by two thirds of the way through that they'd had it right the first time. The best way to put across Fantastic Four is in the colourful, 'comic-book' way that the original films had used.