Director of the Month Project

→ in
Tools    

@seanc thank a tonne for taking part again It was fun and i discovered a possible new favourite, and rediscovered one, just wish we could get more people to take part. Going to put this on hiatus until November when i'll try and get more people involved, if you are interested in taking part again i'll let you know and we can decide on someone. Think the October Challenge gives a break to try and convince some people to get involved, will watch four Lucio Fulci films for that to keep up my four from a director a month quota haha.

So glad we decided on Cassavetes. Went on quite a rollercoaster there from: jesus christ why did i not like this film - A Woman Under The Influence, to: man this is unwatchable - Shadows, to: think Rowlands is 90% why this film works i'm not really sure about Cassavetes - Opening Night, finally to: nah he deserves the credit - Love Streams. And yeah Rowlands is unbelievable, it's a shame she isn't more widely known although it's kind of a blessing because working in these sort of films clearly got her the right sort of roles for her talents. Also i noticed we watched a third of his films, thought he had more than 12 for some reason. My ranking/ratings:

01. Love Streams
+
02. A Woman Under The Influence
-
03. Opening Night
-
04. Shadows

@Camo I will be ready go in November. That works perfect because I will be watching Hawks with Rauldc and Citizen through October. Have you seen Faces?

@Camo I will be ready go in November. That works perfect because I will be watching Hawks with Rauldc and Citizen through October. Have you seen Faces?
Nope mate, only those four.

Any ideas for November? Just to bring up to people i'll be trying to convince in October haha.

Nope mate, only those four.

Any ideas for November? Just to bring up to people i'll be trying to convince in October haha.
I want you to decide. Feel like you have been talked into someone both times.

I want you to decide. Feel like you have been talked into someone both times.
Cassavetes was my idea don't you remember? I said i was thinking of Cassavetes then Velvet suggest Fassbinder and i said we can do him if you guys want but we ended up going with Cass.

Well i like doing it with directors i've not seen much from or directors with large filmography's. So how much have you seen of these three for example?

Federico Fellini
Fritz Lang
Josef Von Sternberg

Cassavetes was my idea don't you remember? I said i was thinking of Cassavetes then Velvet suggest Fassbinder and i said we can do him if you guys want but we ended up going with Cass.

Well i like doing it with directors i've not seen much from or directors with large filmography's. So how much have you seen of these three for example?

Federico Fellini
Fritz Lang
Josef Von Sternberg
I remembered it the other way, my bad. Fellini was the first that came to mind when you asked. I would love to see more Lang as well. Von Sternberg is someone I have barely heard of, that could be fun too. My November viewing is in your hands, be kind.

I remembered it the other way, my bad. Fellini was the first that came to mind when you asked. I would love to see more Lang as well. Von Sternberg is someone I have barely heard of, that could be fun too. My November viewing is in your hands, be kind.
Well those are just a few to consider we'll decide when we get closer. From Von Sternberg i've seen The Blue Angel and Underworld, loved neither but there was alot of great stuff in both. Lang i've somehow only seen M and i don't remember it well. And despite 8 1/2 being one of my favourite films the only other Fellini i've seen is La Dolce Vita. He was fairly involved in some of the Rossellini 40's films we watched though.

Well those are just a few to consider we'll decide when we get closer. From Von Sternberg i've seen The Blue Angel and Underworld, loved neither but there was alot of great stuff in both. Lang i've somehow only seen M and i don't remember it well. And despite 8 1/2 being one of my favourite films the only other Fellini i've seen is La Dolce Vita. He was fairly involved in some of the Rossellini 40's films we watched though.
I have seen 4 Fellini but want to watch them all again and see the rest of course. 3 from Lang but not Metropolis. Just looked at Von Sternberg, feel like I have heard the name but It's possible I have never heard of one of his movies.

I have seen 4 Fellini but want to watch them all again and see the rest of course. 3 from Lang but not Metropolis. Just looked at Von Sternberg, feel like I have heard the name but It's possible I have never heard of one of his movies.
I read a fair amount about him when i was really into learning about the old studio system. He was one of the biggest directors in Hollywood at one point, he was seen as Paramount's biggest asset and easily had the most power for a director in the company which is why his films are obviously his: very little studio tampering. That's really weird as most of his films are fairly obscure now, actually i don't think a single one of them is seen as a classic. Big in both the Silent and Sound era, Underworld is Silent and The Blue Angel is Sound of the two i've seen, the latter is really crazy.

One i'd want to do for him if we ever do him is Morroco as it's a guy i talk to favourite film, and that's such a unique favourite film in my opinion. Dude knows way more about film that me too especially 50's and before Hollywood films, Von Sternberg is his favourite director.

@Citizen Rules @gbgoodies @edarsenal @dadgumblah

I know you all really like old hollywood films so are any of you fans of Von Sternberg? And if we were to do him for November would you be interested in joining? You wouldn't have to decide now just thought i'd let you know we are considering him since you may be fans.

Sure I'd love to join. I've seen some of his movies, and there are others that I've long wanted to watch. So yeah, if you pick him, count me in. That means I get to pick a movie or two of his?

Sure I'd love to join. I've seen some of his movies, and there are others that I've long wanted to watch. So yeah, if you pick him, count me in. That means I get to pick a movie or two of his?
Awesome. Yeah you can pick, we'll see how many want to take part before we decide who picks what. We are leaving it to November to try and get more involved as the last two have been just me and Sean, plus there's the October Challenge and 70's HoF starting so it'd be best to wait a bit.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
that would be intriguing. There is a ton of his work I haven't seen, a couple, just glancing through that caught my eye like Crime and Punishment with Peter Lorre and I have seen a couple of movies he's done with Dietrich, quite a number of them actually as I look more closely. They were some great movies.
So, yeah, I would be very interested in exploring his work. Keep my mind when you start this, please.

that would be intriguing. There is a ton of his work I haven't seen, a couple, just glancing through that caught my eye like Crime and Punishment with Peter Lorre and I have seen a couple of movies he's done with Dietrich, quite a number of them actually as I look more closely. They were some great movies.
So, yeah, I would be very interested in exploring his work. Keep my mind when you start this, please.
Will do, will bring it back up in the last week of October most likely. All it is is watching the four films we decide to watch from the director in a month. It's not a commitment thing like the Hall of Fame so there's no worries if you can't or don't want to watch them all. I've really enjoyed it so far even though it's been just me and Sean, gets me focused on a directors work because i have a habit of watching something from a director then not watching another from them for months.

@Camo How did both of us gush over Love Streams without mentioning the flippin farm Rowlands brings home. So random and nuts but I loved it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
hey, @Citizen Rules there's a Gene Tierney movie directed by Sternberg; The Shanghai Gesture that, if you haven't seen, you may very well enjoy.

Getting more and more excited about this. The ones I have seen I'd love to see again and intrigued to see others by him.

Definitely a plan for November.

@Camo How did both of us gush over Love Streams without mentioning the flippin farm Rowlands brings home. So random and nuts but I loved it.
yeah dang the last 15 minutes or so were really nuts. I loved how chaotic the whole film was, it felt real as in life you are rarely concentrating on only one thing for long periods of time. We saw both of them get up to, think about, alot of different things throughout the film and we saw pretty much every emotion a human can express from them.

yeah dang the last 15 minutes or so were really nuts. I loved how chaotic the whole film was, it felt real as in life you are rarely concentrating on only one thing for long periods of time. We saw both of them get up to, think about, alot of different things throughout the film and we saw pretty much every emotion a human can express from them.
What do you think about how he portrays drinking in his films? I think I bring a lot of my own thoughts to that aspect of his characters and can't put my finger on his view on it.

What do you think about how he portrays drinking in his films? I think I bring a lot of my own thoughts to that aspect of his characters and can't put my finger on his view on it.
Must be honest that absolutely didn't cross my mind at all. I'd love to weigh in on it but i dunno i'm definitely blind as it wasn't something i considered. I liked what you wrote about it though and will definitely keep an eye out for it in future films.

Thanks for the invite, Camo, but unfortunately I haven't even seen one by von Sternberg. But I'll be interested in following from afar.