Connor Macgregor Reviews...Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel

Tools    

Two really good episodes of Buffy, with Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight being one of my all-time favourites.

I'm going to type up a general review of the season later, but I was struck by how a lot better it was nearing the end. The finale was a lot better than expected but still had that campy, 90s cheese to it, especially when you see how dated the costumes are.

I'm going through Season 2 right now, and the quality is slowly creeping up.

I remember season 2 being a big jump in quality in writing over the course of the season, but I suppose having a full season (with the introductions and explanations out of the way) was a big help to that.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'll keep track of this thread. My favourite show of all time.

Suspect's Reviews

Season 1 Retrospective

Overall Thoughts: For a debut season, Buffy had its own quirky appeal that really set the show apart from other shows in its network during the time. It was the 90s + American TV = Weird Experimenting time. I won't pretend it's perfect, because it isn't. The 90s cheese just reeks to high heavens. But it does serve as a good starting point to what will come ahead later on.

Buffy: Sarah Michelle Gellar is just a joy to watch on screen, and Season One is a great introduction to what she can do. A young teenager has now been thrown an extraordinary responsibility, and she must harness it all without question. There are fun moments to chew up, but then episodes like Prophecy Girl come along which really highlight the fear and terror that is being imposed on a young child.

Other Main Characters: All the main characters were great aside from Xander, who just became really annoying and douchey through most of the season. His pathetic attempts to woo Buffy over which just make him even more sad and desperate. Willow is good though. She easily fits in as Buffy's best friend and becomes the voice of reason. I love Cordelia, and in this season, its just adorable how naive she is to what's happening, even though she has plenty of time to make up for it later on. Lastly, there's Giles who is very geeky and stereotypical English, but you forgive the writers because Anthony Head just nails the role perfectly.

Recurring Characters: There are four to five recurring characters I want to talk about. The first of course is Angel, whose relationship with Buffy is often very mysterious and cryptic. It's not until his own episode Angel where we get a more broader picture of who this guy is, and his involvement in events to come. Then there is Joyce, Buffy's mother. I do like her, even though she's at times very awkward and plays as an obstacle at points to Buffy's overall schedule. But still a sweet and caring character none the less. The two principals are also fun in their own set of ways. Principal Flute, who is bumbling and lovely. And then Principal Snyder, cynical and nasty who hates his line of work, but not enough to quit and leave forever. Jenny too is great, not just as Giles's love interest, but as a good ally to The Gang when in a time of crisis.

Big Bad: The Master I thought was ok, but nothing spectacular. He is taken from stereotypical villains in that he talks the talk, but doesn't really walk the walk. All tension but no action. As I said before, his death was too quick and anti climatic and didn't really leave much of an impression. Darla however was a bit better, but I never liked the school girl attire she had on. It just never worked for me, and made her a little too cheesy to watch. Especially with all the Angel backstory, which we will know more of in the spin off.

Favourite/Least Favourite Episode: Angel is the best of the season, introducing intriguing backstory and fun dillemas, whilst making Angel a much more complex character to watch. Least favourite was The Pack, for being very outdated, making Xander a total prick throughout the episode, as well as the weird creepy guy in the facepaint who looked ridiculous.

Final Thoughts: I best describe Season 1 as a pilot season of sorts. Dodgy episodes, but a strong central premise that introduces the world, the characters, and the stakes that are based around many of the mysteries and situations Buffy must endure.

Season Rating: 79% - B+

Episode Ranking (As of 1x12)

A (91%-99%)
Angel (92%) (BTVS - 1)

A- (81%-90%)
Prophecy Girl (89%) (BTVS - 1)
Nightmares (87%) (BTVS - 1)
Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight (86%) (BTVS - 1)
The Witch (85%) (BTVS - 1)
Welcome To The Hellmouth (84%) (BTVS - 1)

B+ (71%-80%)
Never Kill A Boy On The First Date (78%) (BTVS -1)
The Harvest (76%) (BTVS - 1)
The Puppet Show (74%) (BTVS - 1)
I Robot, You Jane (73%) (BTVS - 1)

B (61% - 70%)
Teacher’s Pet (63%) (BTVS - 1)
The Pack (61%) (BTVS - 1)

Don't agree with the idea of watching any of the First Season episodes other than "Nightmares" maybe, ever again, personally. It's mostly fine but to me at least it's really surprising that people would want to watch that again after they know what happens. There's so much awkwardness in the First Season of Buffy; i genuinely find it hard to sit through now. And even if that's not the case for others there's barely any character development, everything other than her relationship with Angel quickly becomes irrelevant and it has the worst big bad of any season, he has no character at all other than the vampire underground that can kill Buffy.

Was fun to watch the first time but i'd probably rate it

2x01 - When She Was Bad

Compared to the season one premiere, I think When She Was Bad is very different and more personal then 1x01. You already know the characters and setting, so there's no need to reestablish. It's a good episode, though it still has Season 1 feels about it. Low quality, 90s costumes, very dated feel to it. But still works none the less.

The central focus is Buffy, as she continues to struggle with the events of the season one finale, and how it's affecting her psyche. Whilst it's not so much mind control, but a sort of PTSD and how she pretty much died briefly, before being brought back to life. She hasn't taken to it well, and takes it out on her friends, who get pretty hurt and confused in the process. Cordelia is really the only one with the balls to bring her back down to earth, as you'd expect her to.

The villains are lacklustre in this episode, with The Anointed One still very dull and uninspiring. Nothing against the actor but the character has served his purpose. He's just there for the fallout with The Master. However I like the fact that the team now is a lot bigger. With Jenny & Cordelia now firmly in the mix, it allows for more dynamic and personality within the team, one which we'll see develop throughout the season.

Rating - 80% - B+

2x02 - Some Assembly Required

This is a bit of a weak follow up. One again relying on horror tropes in order to fill episodes in the season. It has some interesting ideas to it, but still feels very B-movie for my taste. The idea of an undead teenager is interesting, and the story presented does open up on loneliness and a feeling of anger, at one being robbed of future and success. However, the problem lies in its pacing and overall execution. It's very predictable and weak.

You do however get some great pairings set up. Buffy & Angel continue to develop, Xander & Cordelia get some subtle development, and then, of course, there's Giles & Jenny whose blossoming relationship continues to grow, albeit awkwardly anyway. There's also a really nice Angel/Cordy scene early on which is nice, but better ones are on the way.

In short, I felt SAR was good, but forgettable either way. Cordelia getting captured again was a yawnfest, and it never really felt like the story was at all exciting. Just predictable and lazy.

Rating - 64% - B

2x03 - School Hard

This is a big episode in the season as it introduces the main big bads going forward: Spike & Drusilla. And boy do they leave their mark. Spike is very much a vampire Billy Idol, whilst Drusilla is a creepy psychotic vampire who talks in riddles and poetry. Both are leagues better than The Master and are more of a match to Buffy in this series.

Their arrival takes place during parents evening where Buffy has to manage the event thanks to Snyder. She is paired with another girl, but she ditches Buffy for her own fun. With this, Buffy then has to juggle this task with dealing with the new big bads, who gatecrash the parents evening and turn the school into a battlefield for Buffy. Buffy must fight these vampires, whilst be maintaining her secret identity in the process.

It's a fun episode, with the battle in the school being an intense third act. The first fight with Spike & Buffy is fun to watch as James Masters's charisma just shines throughout. There are some bad shots where you can see the stunt doubles, but overall its a strong episode and really builds up Spike & Drusilla well.

Rating - 94% - A

2x04 - Inca Mummy Girl

Inca Mummy Girl is a fun and different monster of the week episode, that puts Xander in the limelight for once (It won't be the first time this season). His quest for love comes at a new turn when she ends up falling for a girl, who's a mummy. It's a lovely if not sad story to watch, as we know how stories like this tend to end. But still, it makes Xander much more likeable and more sympathetic.

This show also sees the debut I believe of Oz. I had it down in my notes that it was also the debut of Jonathan, but I swear he was in another episode, but it's still nice to see him. Oz is a little mysterious, but not enough for audiences to assume he's evil. Because of where he is, we assume he's an outsider who'll ultimately join the group. I love how he cruises on Willow, it's very sweet. Something to look forward to later on.

The downside of this episode is the slightly rushed last act. It just feels a bit too quick and you're felt a little cheated as a result. The girl who played the mummy in this episode was lovely and played a slightly complex character if I may say so. But overall, still a good episode, for filler.

Rating - 83% - A-

2x05 - Reptile Boy

Another filler episode that doesn't really progress the plot anyway forward, so it will be ranked a lot lower as expected. This episode tends to capture college frat boy life, with a supernatural twist. Instead, as do most 90s shows, it comes off very goofy as a result.

Whilst I do always enjoy the Buffy/Cordelia relationship, it's very disappointing in this episode, adding nothing to the relationship, and in no way developing the characters that much. They're not particularly used very well, and Buffy becomes someone she really isn't in this episode: insecure and quite scared at points.

The villains here are very dull and cliche driven. Party bound, reckless, sexist, and very horny and stupid. I think it gives a bad name to college boys. The cult angle was fine, and obviously the basis of the episode, and the reptile monster was well designed and I think holds up well all these years later. But the stereotype is embarrassing and doesn't rub off well.

Overall, a weak episode and a bit tiring after a watch.

Rating - 67% - B

2x06 - Halloween

This was a really fun fish of out water type episode, with a real imaginative premise attached to it, and produces a very strong episode early on in the run. The costume idea was fun to watch. Seeing Buffy, Xander & Willow convert to personas that are very much the complete opposite of who they actually are.

This is the first clues of Giles's dark side as Ripper, the persona he had during his younger years. It's demonstrated near the end when he clashes with old friend Ethan Rayne, a character we will see in future appearances. It's quite disturbing how dark he gets, and highlights a new side of Giles we never thought existed.

Another thing I liked was the brief Angel/Cordelia exchange at the beginning where Cordy makes Angel laugh like a school girl. It's very cute and hints later on at the relationship they'll develop further down the line.

Overall, a great episode. Very fun and very creative.

Rating - 92% - A

2x07 - Lie To Me

There's a great story in Lie To Me; The student embracing the dark underworld rather than cowering from it. It's great. A smart well told story that ends with the realisation that not everyone is genuine, some people you are just never going to understand.

The character of Ford is an interesting villain, a friend of Buffy's past but with a different mindset altogether. He has a sad backstory which we find out near the end, one which devastates Buffy when he reveals his true intentions. There's also some nice development with Willow & Angel when Angel turns to Willow for help. It's nice, really nice. Angel's now more comfortable around the other Scoobies and this is the first sign of it.

The theme of loneliness also rears itself in the story. The idea that there are people out there who are lonely and turn to dark places for comfort is an interesting angle. It's one Buffy can't really resolve. I can relate to that in some ways. The last scene also is very sad, and quite depressing to watch. Just a little bit anyway.

Rating - 92% - A

I get what you mean. The idea that people want to embrace being a vampire rather than die weak and ill. I think it shook Buffy a bit, considering he was a long childhood friend too.

It's a good episode. Plays an important part in Buffy growing up.

2x08 - The Dark Age

Contrary to other fans of Buffy, I thought The Dark Age was a brilliant episode which finally unearthed the dark deeds of Giles's past. It's a really sinister episode which Buffy discovers a side of Giles she never expected. And not in a good way.

Giles's background with Ethan Rayne is revealed slightly, and it presents us with a person who has dabbled in the dark side of the supernatural, with possession and summoning of deadly demons. One of which ends up coming to Sunnydale and threatening to finish Giles off once and for all. Anthony Head's performance is great, and verging on losing everything he holds dear. Ethan Rayne is great in this episode, someone who knows Giles more than any of the other characters do, both strengths and weaknesses. Jenny Calendar also takes centre stage and is great as usual, clearly traumatised to some extent by the events of the episode. It damages her and Giles's relationship slightly, which will lead to events later on in the season.

Overall, The Dark Age is a superb underrated episode, with a great performance by Anthony Head at the centre.

Rating - 97% - A

2x09 - What's My Line Part I

This is the first two parter in the series and its one that rewrites the rulebook of The Slayer lore, and how a past situation in the show has pretty much altered The Slayer lineage for the rest of the series.

We are introduced to Kendra, the new Slayer who's come to Sunnydale for reasons unknown. Her identity isn't revealed until the end of the episode, so for the most part, we assume she's evil and after the gang in some way. The actress is very good, and I did like the accent despite it being a last minute change. She's a skilled fighter, and puts up against Buffy & Angel.

Most of this episode is tension, and the feeling of something very scary coming for Buffy, in which the action fills the last act of the episode. I like this, as it puts Buffy in shaky ground, and not something that she can just get cocky over and take down easily. The cliffhanger's cheap, but effective none the less.

Rating - 88% - A-