Your Most Hated Music Artist.

Tools    

FI No2 - you listed quite a few types of music there. What do you listen to?
I listen to very few artists from this century. My favorite decade for music is either the 90s (I like grunge and that kind of alternative rock), or the 60s. I also like certain bands from the 70s and 80s, but I don't like disco or that ACDC style, which is what those respective decades are arguably most known for.

My favorite bands include Green Day, The Beatles, Audioslave, Foo Fighters, Queen, The Who, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Pearl Jam.

I do kind of like a few modern bands, like fun. and Mumford and Sons, but they are far from my favorite, and I don't ever go out of my way to listen to them.

The thread is called 'Your most hated music artist' so maybe some people are focusing more on the person than the musician?
I wouldn't accuse anyone specifically, or in any specific instance, but it definitely seems to me as if a really staggering amount of opinion about music has to do with something other than the music.

I think any number of mainstream bands that get ripped on would get a wildly different reaction if, say, someone heard they were just some new indie band. Or if we had to listen to them and judge them in a vacuum, not knowing who they were, what they've done, or who else liked them.

Part of my dislike of John Mayer is his persona, yes, but moreso I don't like his voice, I don't like his lyrics (in particular "Your Body is a Wonderland" really irritates me) and his guitar playing underwhelms me.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
oh! i thought of someone!

2 someones actually

Alanis Morissette is someone whose music annoys me as much as the person behind the musician.

Madonna, i'll admit has some fun dance songs, but i loathe the persona she's created for the limelight so much that i can't listen to her at all anymore.

That's prejudice. There are thousands of artists working on those genres, hating them all is like hating "people from Luxembourg".

I hate:

Eminem
Or like

'There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures...and the Dutch.'

- Austin Powers

^^^ Why I came to hate John Mayer.
I'd never watched the video before, but I've listened to the song many times - a few different versions of it.

I happen to like the song. Think it's heartfelt, well-written, composed, etc.

I'm not going to argue with the anti-John Mayer contingent. Like we've debated in another thread, our favorite/best or least favorite/worst is completely subjective.

Was just wondering if it was due more to his musicianship or his person.

Music genres are not countries.
There is a great diversity inside Death metal and Black metal. In fact, saying that one hates Death metal and Black metal is nearly as radical as saying that one hates Rock and Pop music on the whole.

There is complexity and great richness musical textures involved on the work of these artists. Black metal is not very accessible it is like classical music since it is required that you train your ear to be appreciated.

Black metal is probably the most complex and sophisticated form of popular music that has ever emerged. It is a form of abstract music, rich in texture, emotion and layers. The most awe inspiring form of music ever performed on guitars, bass and drums.

Some examples of the vast diversity inside the set of bands that are classified as either black metal or death metal:

Death's death metal version of Painkiller, Judas Priest' masterpiece, one of the greatest works of art of the 20th century, in any medium, this song combines the minimalistic harmonic elegance of classical speed metal with the rich textures of death metal. I have listened to it over hundreds of times. It is one of the top 10 best songs ever made:

Another one that I love so much:

Amon Amart, below, is among the most accessible death metal acts, thanks to their less abstract style.

Black metal is to popular music what art films are to cinema: Different, more complex and willing to radically experiment, breaking the traditional taboos of their respective mediums.

I have great respect for the work of artists such as Bathory, Death, Mayhem, Darkthrone and Hellhammer.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
Ok, about John Mayer, I'm wondering: Is this because of his personality as it comes across via the media? Or because of his music?

Both. I can't stand his songs and he is a world wide douche.

You know, not that I hate death metal, nor love it, but I've been to a Judas Priest concert (I think it was Judas Priest - it was them and some others) and all of the guys there were redneck trailer trash.

Not that there's anything wrong with that... but, I'd hardly consider death metal in league with rock and pop.

Black metal is to popular music what art films are to cinema: Different, more complex and willing to radically experiment, breaking the traditional taboos of their respective mediums.
Never thought I'd hear something like this.

Oh jeez not "Daughters" I hate that song so much.

A couple of other artists that came to mind:

The Dixie Chicks (Natalie Maines' voice is like nails on a chalkboard)
Kid Rock

Whatever the hell that was, I never want to hear it again as long as I live. I couldn't get more than 20 seconds in and I had to turn it off. The screeching vocals literally hurt my ears and I had the volume down low.

I didn't like it, either. I don't mean to sound like I'm hateful of all metal music, 'cause there's some stuff I've heard in that genre that I like, but that song did nothing for me.