Top 53 Music Artists Countdown

Tools    

I'm the only one who voted for AC/DC?!?! I want a recount!
Thank goodness. Maybe there is hope for this forum when it comes to music.

Knew that one was coming.

Darren Hayes rose to fame in the 90s as the singer for the Australian pop duo Savage Garden. But after only two albums, Darren Hayes and bandmate Daniel Jones went their separate ways. Hayes would go on to release four solo albums plus a side project called We Are Smug.

The music of Savage Garden was catchy and I liked it a lot when I was a teenager, but I sort of lost track of Darren Hayes after his first solo album. I rediscovered his music a couple of years ago and absolutely fell in love with it. I think his voice is incredible and I really admire his songwriting. Unfortunately, he's essentially given up on music and has been pursuing a career in improv comedy but there's still plenty to love and he was my number 3.

A few favorites:
God Walking Into the Room
Black Out the Sun
Strange Relationship
Pop!ular
Hot Tub Blues (We Are Smug)

Love for Portishead to whomever.
Banshees was my 8-pointer.

Nine Pointers

Eminem - 9 Points (3 Lists)
Arcade Fire - 9 Points (2 Lists)
George Strait - 9 Points (2 Lists)
Britney Spears - 9 Points (2 Lists)
Ray Charles - 9 Points (2 Lists)
Billy Talent - 9 Points (1 List)
Voivod - 9 Points (1 List)
Katatonia - 9 Points (1 List)
Dragon Force - 9 Points (1 List)
Katie Melua - 9 Points (1 List)
Adam Sandler - 9 Points (1 List)
Counting Crows - 9 Points (1 List)
King Crimson - 9 Points (1 List)
Sammy Davis, Jr. - 9 Points (1 List)
Faith No More - 9 Point (1 List)
Underoath - 9 Points (1 List)
Ricky Van Shelton - 9 Points (1 List)
Lindsay Buckingham - 9 Points (1 List)
The Monkees - 9 Points (1 List)
Hank Williams - 9 Points (1 List)
Death Cab For Cutie - 9 Points (1 List)
Biggie Smalls - 9 Points (1 List)
Sufjan Stevens - 9 Points (1 List)
Ulver - 9 Points (1 List)
Imogen Heap - 9 Point (1 List)
Doris Day - 9 Points (1 list)

Resopamenic - King Crimson

Nice to see Katie and Imogen get a mention.

Buckingham was mine, of course.

Anybody who has participated in a song tournament with me should have known he'd make my list. If there is a musician equivalent to Joaquin Phoenix for me, it's Lindsey Buckingham. He's incredibly talented and damn sexy. His guitar playing is mesmerizing and I adore his voice. I've seen him in concert eight times, I think, between solo and Fleetwood Mac shows and have been a fan since I was 16.

Still, he's not quite my favorite artist and is just about a hair's breadth behind one other musician and is number 2 on my ballot

A few favorites:
Castaway Dreams
Street of Dreams
Holiday Road
D.W. Suite
Time Precious Time

Ten Points, 1 List

Alexisonfire - 10 Points (1 List)
Thin Lizzy - 10 Points (1 List)
Neil Diamond - 10 Points (1 List)
Sigur Ros - 10 Points (1 List)
My Dying Bride - 10 Points (1 List)
Kate Bush - 10 Points (1 List)
Richard Cheese - 10 Points (1 List)
Dream Theater - 10 Points (1 List)
Julianna Barwick - 10 Points (1 List)
Elliott Smith - 10 Point (1 List)
Bon Iver - 10 Points (1 List)
Carly Rae Jepsen - 10 Points (1 List)
Outkast - 10 Points (1 List)
Average Sevenfold - 10 Points (1 List)
Ludwig Van Beethoven - 10 Points (1 List)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - 10 Points (1 List)
Bananarama - 10 Points (1 List)
Hey - 10 Points (1 List)
The Blue Hearts - 10 Points (1 List)
John Zorn - 10 Points (1 List)
Róisín Murphy - 10 Points (1 list)

gbgoodies - Neil Diamond

I Mother Earth was my #4. I think they're the only Canadian group on my updated list, but I originally had 3 or 4 on there haha. After their singer left the group, he was replaced by a guy from Newfoundland, but I didn't like him. Summertime in the Void wasn't bad, but I didn't like any of their other songs with him.

One More Astronaut will always be my favourite of theirs.

Nobody else voted for Tom Petty?!

Anybody who knows anything about my taste in music knows that I am a Tom Petty fan. Throughout my life, his music has been one of the few constants. Growing up, the TV was nearly always tuned to MTV – back in the days when MTV actually played music videos – and Tom Petty’s videos were some of the coolest. But more than that, his music was incredible. The man knew how to write a song. He knew how to infuse his sound with humor and emotion. And even though he wasn’t blessed with an objectively good singing voice, he always sounded just right for the music he made.

One of my earliest memories is browsing a music store at the local mall. My mom told my brother and I that we could each choose a tape to buy. He chose Howard Jones. I made the wiser choice and selected Tom Petty’s Full Moon Fever. It was the first album I owned by any artist and remains a favorite today. I’ve seen Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers in concert four times. I own cds, records, DVDs, VHS tapes, t-shirts, posters, and keychains. It was also through his music – either directly or indirectly – that I discovered my love for many of the other artists that graced my ballot and that fill my iPod.

His recent passing was a heavy blow to me and it still doesn’t quite feel real. But he left behind him an impressive catalogue of work that I will forever cherish.

A few favorites:
Room at the Top
I Should've Known It
Don't Come Around Here No More
Southern Accents
Since You Said You Loved Me

Nice to see love for Sigur & the Bushbaby.