Top 53 Music Artists Countdown

Tools    

Clark was my three-pointer. Should have been a little higher on my list.

Four Pointers

Run the Jewels - 4 Point (2 Lists)
Christina Aguilera - 4 Points (2 lists)
Groundation - 4 Points (1 List)
The Glitch Mob - 4 Points (1 List)
Ariel Pink - 4 Points (1 List)
Dan Avidan - 4 Points (1 List)
Beth Orton - 4 Points (1 List)
John Lennon - 4 Points (1 List)
Randy Travis - 4 Points (1 List)
Bruno Mars - 4 Points (1 List)
Shaquille O'Neal - 4 Points (1 List)
Death - 4 Points (1 List)
Gojira - 4 Points (1 List)
Journey - 4 Points (1 List)
Sandy Denny - 4 Points (1 List)
Dexter Gordon - 4 Points (1 List)
John Mayer - 4 Points (1 List)
Bryan Adams - 4 Points (1 List)
Boards of Canada - 4 Points (1 List)
The Allman Brothers Band - 4 Points (1 List)
Perfect Circle - 4 Points (1 List)
INXS - 4 Points (1 List)

Chypmunk - Groundation

Three pointers lists, three of mine to show.

Another case of me absolutely falling for the voice (and looks) of a band's singer. Matchbox 20 first hit when I was in high school and just sneaked under the wire before my tastes began to shift more in favor of classic rock. There's a certain richness to Rob Thomas's voice and to the simplicity of his songwriting that I find really appealing.

I had Matchbox 20 at #8 and I love Rob Thomas, but I have no idea why I had them higher than my #9.

A few favorites:
Push
Unwell
If You're Gone
Bent
Little Wonders (Rob Thomas solo)

Nice to see Stereophonics in the 3-pointers list.

Shaquille O'Neal's done music. I though his only musical venture was that genie movie

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Four for four.

Michael Hutchence was a total package of sex appeal and talent. Even as a child watching MTV, before I knew really what being sexy even was, there was something that drew me to him. The music of INXS was a fixture in my house growing up as well with my mom's cassette copy of Kick getting regular play. Sadly, Hutchence died in 1997 and as far as I'm concerned, that was the end of the band. Forget Rock Star. There is no INXS without him.

I had INXS at #7.

A few favorites:
Need You Tonight
Not Enough Time
Devil Inside
Disappear
Elegantly Wasted

No surprise to see Groundation get no love from anyone else on this particular forum.

Five Pointers

George Harrison - 5 Points (1 List)
Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - 5 Points (1 List)
Alice In Chains - 5 Points (1 List)
Serj Tankian - 5 Points (1 List)
Jennifer Lawrence - 5 Points (1 List)
Clint Mansell - 5 Points (1 List)
Del Amitri - 5 Points (1 List)
Les Raillizes Denudes - 5 Points (1 List)
Cake - 5 Points (1 list)
Wade Hayes - 5 Points (1 List)
Genesis - 5 Points (1 List)
Cannibal Corpse - 5 Points (1 List)
Rammstein - 5 Points (1 List)
Bon Jovi - 5 Points (1 List)
The Cowboy Junkies - 5 Points (1 List)
Carcass - 5 Point (1 List)
Warren Zevon - 5 Points (1 List)

cat_sidhe (Carcass)

I love grindcore and death metal, and Carcass was my first love. I was tempted to link the one song all metalheads my age compulsively air-drum to every time we hear it, but chose the ridiculously catchy Heartwork instead. They broke some serious rules with that.

Kyuss was on my list. Along with Sleep, pretty much pioneered the stoner/desert thing. And the song picked (and never ended up sending because of drunk fails) appears to have been about @TheUsualSuspect

Talking Heads, Van Morrison, Cream, and The Kinks got robbed. Never heard of half of the messes so far.
I'll be surprised if more than half of this list ISN'T popular classic rock acts.

I'm on a roll. A very sad roll.

As was the case with several other artists on my ballot, I discovered the music of Warren Zevon as a result of his connection to other artists that I loved. Unfortunately though, that discovery came a little late and he announced that he was dying of mesothelioma about a year after I had begun to explore his music. I must admit that I'm not as familiar with Zevon's body of work as I ought to be, I didn't go as deep in that exploration as I should have, however the songs I do know proved him to be a gifted songwriter and storyteller. Some of them are beautiful and heartbreaking - particularly those from his final album - while others are raucous and wryly funny. And that gift was strong enough to land him at number 6 on my ballot.

A few favorites:
Keep Me In Your Heart
Mohammed's Radio
Play It All Night Long
Ain't That Pretty At All
Werewolves of London