Why are modern movies still good but modern pop music not?

Tools    

I don't think it's really irrational to hate rap for "not being singing," if you're a fan of singing. But maybe that's just me.

"music now isn't as good as it was when I was a kid", there's a good chance that your parents said the same thing.
While I know you said that your comments aren't directed at me, I really don't think this statement is as universal as you think it is. Growing up I knew a lot of adults who were fans of the pop and rock songs that were popular in my childhood and teen years - including my mother who regularly listened to bands like Guns N Roses, Poison, U2 and INXS in the 80s and bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and R.E.M. in the 90s.

I became very interested in classic rock and began a Fleetwood Mac obsession in my mid teens (following their 1997 reunion). Thanks to the internet, I found that there were a lot of other like minded teens, though I also knew several classmates who appreciated older music as well. My interest in the older generation's music actually annoyed my mother, who actually yelled at me to "get your own music!"

I don't think it's really irrational to hate rap for "not being singing," if you're a fan of singing. But maybe that's just me.
It was a random example, but still that seems like a more personal thing. It doesn't mean that culture is degrading.

I hate bowls for not being plates.
I hate tin bowls for not being platinum plates.

It was a random example, but still that seems like a more personal thing. It doesn't mean that culture is degrading.
Degradation of an industry due to excessive commercialization does not automatically equate to "culture" degrading.

That's not how it's always been. The Beatles, Aerosmith, etc were a popular bands and were critically acclaimed as innovative - like you're saying yourself there are less popular bands and artists today who are innovators, but rather just recyclers.
how exactly is someone like lady gaga less "innovative" than ******* aerosmith?

Just out of curiosity who's the target audience for tripe like this anyway?

I mean it's too racy for kids, but too annoying and stupid for adults - so it's either targeted to juvenile delinquents or emotionally retarded adults who think this is "good" - lol.

Oh and the kunt in the 1st video looks like one of the blue aliens from "Avatar" with a spray-on tan.

how exactly is someone like lady gaga less "innovative" than ******* aerosmith?
Well man, even Aerosmith did actually write profound material, and the band members could actually play instruments (ex. The song "Janie's Got a Gun" deals with profound subject matter); their lyrics were also more creative.

They aren't the height of innovation but in my opinion, they're an example of how even the "pop" oriented artists used to be better in past decades.

On the flip side Lady Gaga is known for stuff like this:

I haven't heard a Lady Gaga song that strikes me as anything special; if it weren't for her crazy videos I think she'd be forgotten amongst a million other artists who sound almost exactly the same.

90sAce and this forum could write a bad romance. Ra ra ah ah ah!

90sAce and this forum could write a bad romance. Ra ra ah ah ah!
Even Lady Gaga is Joe Satriani compared to artists like the ones I linked above, lol

Welcome to the human race...
Eh, Nicki Minaj and Ke$ha are pretty tolerable as far as modern pop goes. "Stupid Hoe" at least has some abrasive personality that makes it stand out even among Minaj's more generic club raps.

Also, Aerosmith is a half-baked Rolling Stones knock-off that lost what little edge they had after the Toxic Twins got clean and they started making a comeback in the '80s so holding them up as an example of how good pop music could be is...not the best idea.

While I know you said that your comments aren't directed at me, I really don't think this statement is as universal as you think it is. Growing up I knew a lot of adults who were fans of the pop and rock songs that were popular in my childhood and teen years - including my mother who regularly listened to bands like Guns N Roses, Poison, U2 and INXS in the 80s and bands like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and R.E.M. in the 90s.

I became very interested in classic rock and began a Fleetwood Mac obsession in my mid teens (following their 1997 reunion). Thanks to the internet, I found that there were a lot of other like minded teens, though I also knew several classmates who appreciated older music as well. My interest in the older generation's music actually annoyed my mother, who actually yelled at me to "get your own music!"
Your mother listening to music when you were a baby might have influenced your taste.

Eh, Nicki Minaj and Ke$ha are pretty tolerable as far as modern pop goes. "Stupid Hoe" at least has some abrasive personality that makes it stand out even among Minaj's more generic club raps.
Bro she used "stupid hoe" as the only words of the entire chorus - and moaned "buuuutt" for an entire verse.

Oh and the song had a female using a emphasim "suck my dicK"... (well at least I thought it was a female).

Also, Aerosmith is a half-baked Rolling Stones knock-off that lost what little edge they had after the Toxic Twins got clean and they started making a comeback in the '80s so holding them up as an example of how good pop music could be is...not the best idea.
They're an example of how even a "standard" pop act of earlier eras is quite a cut above in terms of overall talent and listen-ability.

"Janie's got a Gun" definitely has a profound message - show me anything Ke$ha or Nicki Minaj have made that has an ounce of similar substance.

Acts like the Beatles, Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc are better examples of raw talent and ambition, sure. But hey even Aerosmith could play instruments, and sing without the use of autotune. Elton Jonn's another example - to me he doesn't stand out in any way and I don't even care for his music, but hell at least it was music

As far as ones which are tolerable go - Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga are some of the ones I'd mention - hell even Justin Bieber and One Direction aren't "bad bad" compared to stuff like the above (not anymore than NSYNC or New Kids on the Block were).

For a person who doesn't know the difference between a 'ho' and a 'hoe', is not really great in any world of pop artistry.

90'sAce, you're just looking at examples of some mainstream music that you don't like, and comparing it to music that you like. I don't see the point. So what if Aerosmith is better than Lady Ga Ga. What a pointless reason to make a thread. You just argue for the sake of arguing. Whenever someone demonstrates popular current music you just make up some reason to exclude it from your personal definition of "pop music," which is not a real definition of "pop music." At least half of the arguments in here are because you didn't properly explain your terms, and then you insulted people for not understanding you because you thought it was "obvious." Well obviously it wasn't obvious. You're so arrogant, you think people are stupid if they don't understand you, or if they don't speak in such a way that you can clearly understand them, which by the way is a double standard. And no matter what anyone "proves" to you, you just move on to the next thing to argue about like it doesn't even matter.

I wish you would just stop. It's not psychologically healthy for you to argue so much.

Whenever someone demonstrates popular current music you just make up some reason to exclude it from your personal definition of "pop music," which is not a real definition of "pop music."
Take a look at how many Youtube hits the videos for your music are getting compared to "Gangnam Style" and "Anaconda"... and then see what I mean. lol

Yeah I'm aware that you probably listen to music which is better made than Nicki Minaj or Ke$sha - but apparently record labels are passing your favorite bands over in favor of dime-a-dozen acts like that.

I'd think that'd make you a little pissed and interested in how the music industry is changing instead of just wanting to argue against me.

You're so arrogant, you think people are stupid if they don't understand you, or if they don't speak in such a way that you can clearly understand them, which by the way is a double standard. And no matter what anyone "proves" to you, you just move on to the next thing to argue about like it doesn't even matter.
My second post in the thread explained what I was talking about more clearly - I used examples of notable musicians like Slash and Gene Simmons who are venting similar sentiments.

So yeah personally I think the point was made. Just because someone somewhere is still listening to disco doesn't mean "Disco is dead" is a false statement. I made it clear I was talking about problems in the modern industry, not "all of music in existence".

Welcome to the human race...
Bro she used "stupid hoe" as the only words of the entire chorus - and moaned "buuuutt" for an entire verse.

Oh and the song had a female using a emphasim "suck my dicK"... (well at least I thought it was a female).
Are you referring to the bit where it's all "I wish I wish I wish a bitch wouuuuuuuuuuuld"? Besides, she's hardly the first person to do entire choruses consisting of song titles. Also, please try to provide criticism that doesn't resort to transphobia.

They're an example of how even a "standard" pop act of earlier eras is quite a cut above in terms of overall talent and listen-ability.

"Janie's got a Gun" definitely has a profound message - show me anything Ke$ha or Nicki Minaj have made that has an ounce of similar substance.
You asked.

Much like "Janie's Got a Gun", it's a song about a young woman reacting to the violent behaviour of an abusive father (though there are sufficient differences). It's also got a soulful R&B groove that's far removed from the abrasive nature of "Stupid Hoe", so it also shows that Minaj has more versatility than her outsized hot-pink aesthetic might suggest.

Acts like the Beatles, Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc are better examples of raw talent and ambition, sure. But hey even Aerosmith could play instruments, and sing without the use of autotune. Elton Jonn's another example - to me he doesn't stand out in any way and I don't even care for his music, but hell at least it was music

As far as ones which are tolerable go - Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga are some of the ones I'd mention - hell even Justin Bieber and One Direction aren't "bad bad" compared to stuff like the above (not anymore than NSYNC or New Kids on the Block were).
Even Nickelback can play instruments and sing without the use of AutoTune, so I don't see how that's such a big deal when it comes to making music that is more authentic or inherently superior to synthesised work.

One Direction is definitely tolerable, Bieber not so much.

At least Lady Gaga is going to be in American Horror Story: Hotel. Kudos for her. Plus she has style and flair (aside from the meat dress and such). Plus she is talented, a heck of good dresser away from the stage and she can be really funny. Her comedic style is absolutely hilarious, especially when she's on SNL.

obviously you hate modern pop music and there's nothing we can say to change that, but i don't see why you care so much. people are going to like what they like, and taylor swift, lady gaga, carly rae jepsen etc. make well-written and well-produced songs that resonate with people and are catchy. just because they don't have guitar solos doesn't mean it isn't quality music, and at some point not being a competent instrumentalist shouldn't be enough to disqualify you from being talented. there's so much easily-accessible and often innovative stuff out there being released all the time that can suit any taste, so there's really no reason to get worked up about the state of modern pop music, unless of course you just want to feel superior to the mentally-inferior masses, and believe me, two years ago i felt that exact same way.