Why are modern movies still good but modern pop music not?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'd love more people to give their opinion in this thread. The original poster's intentions are pretty obvious by now, but I believe this thread has a potential and can spawn an interesting discussion.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Fame Monster has a bunch good, fun tracks. Plus Beyonce's verse on Telephone is really awesome.
Thanks for the recommendation.

While I agree that there are some good tracks and albums currently going mainstream, I feel that the innovativeness is decreasing, and that many artists are simply copying the same formula as older artists.

I listen to whats out there now... and even whats currently played in Europe... and Im old!

Let the night air cool you off
Thanks for the recommendation.

While I agree that there are some good tracks and albums currently going mainstream, I feel that the innovativeness is decreasing, and that many artists are simply copying the same formula as older artists.
Innovation is at an all-time high. Not just in the way music is made, but the entire way the business side of music is handled.

Modern music is often created using "not-instrument" computers, and the stuff you can do with that technology actually provides a unique and limitless amount of possibilities. You'd just have to be open to listen to music with "no instruments."

Here's a good article explaining some of the concepts at work here:

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...music-is-dying

Innovation is at an all-time high. Not just in the way music is made, but the entire way the business side of music is handled.

Modern music is often created using "not-instrument" computers, and the stuff you can do with that technology actually provides a unique and limitless amount of possibilities. You'd just have to be open to listen to music with "no instruments."
You can say that in North America in particular musical talent moved from rock to rap. Since I prefer rock over rap there are fewer North American stuff I like made in recent years compared to the past, however.

The decline of rock in the Anglo Saxon countries began around 1991, when Nirvana's monumental piece of garbage, Nevermind, was released.

Most of my favorite music comes from Europe, South America and Asia nowadays. Modern output of US+Canada is almost irrelevant for my listening.

There is a lot of good pop music being made today:
That's not "pop" music, that's underground music..

Pop music in the sense that I'm referring to refers to music which is currently topping the charts - singles and albums which are going gold, platinum, etc.

Not "popular music" as an entire genre.

The decline of rock in the Anglo Saxon countries began around 1991, when Nirvana's monumental piece of garbage, Nevermind, was released.
I agree with you about Nirvana and grunge starting the downfall of rock, and being responsible for all of the pop punk/emo/alternative garbage which came after it.

Let the night air cool you off
When the first thing an article is mentioning is Taylor Swift, then I don't think we are actually talking about the artistic quality of music.

When the first thing an article is mentioning is Taylor Swift, then I don't think we are actually talking about the artistic quality of music.
The article wasn't mentioning her as being a beacon of musical talent or quality.

That's not "pop" music, that's underground music..

Pop music in the sense that I'm referring to refers to music which is currently topping the charts - singles and albums which are going gold, platinum, etc.

Not "popular music" as an entire genre.
Ensiferum is super big in Finland. They always top the charts there.

Same thing with the Brazilian power metal band Angra, they always make the top 15 at the Oricon charts in Japan.

Or the German heavy metal bands Accept and Unisonic which made the top 10 charts in Germany in their last albums.

Neither Angra, Accept, Unisonic and Ensiferum are mainstream in the US, but they are elsewhere. So, there exists more countries in the world besides the US. You talk about the US as if the world was the US, but it is not. Should be careful when you make claims regarding music when restricted to American music and not about music in general.

In North America mainstream rock was killed simultaneously by:

1 - Bad influences (Nirvana) which lowered the artistic standards of the bands.

2 - Decline in human capital supply as musical talent moved from rock to rap.

3 - Decline in revenues as sales of albums in North America collapsed by 65% between 2001 and 2014, due to internet piracy. This decline in revenues meant that there is now a smaller market for mainstream rock bands selling millions of albums while there is now a stronger market for underground bands appealing to small niches thanks to the internet in spreading information about those underground bands.

You're being inconsistent here. The title clearly claims it is the modern pop music that is no longer good. All of it, mainstream or obscure.
"Pop" music in this sense is referring to music which is charting well, not to a "style" of music.

It can include any genre.

An even better question is what do music industries have to do with the quality of music nowadays? It seems to me you are only complaining about the MAINSTREAM
This should've been immediately obvious.

And it never had. Underground artists were either obscure, relatively known only to the cult followers, or worked their way to the mainstream. Same thing nowadays.
People who've lived in the industry are stating that it is harder today for artists to get major record deals unless they are already well-known (ex. on Twitter, Youtube, etc) than it was in times past

Who knows. Anyway, once again, this has very little to do with the title of this topic. You are more interested in degradation of music industry and how it promotes talentless, but money-making artists rather than really talented musicians that are not so certain money-farmers,
Correct

than the actual quality of nowadays music regardless its popularity.
I'm not interested in the quality of music which is not charting in the mainstream - my point is that it is harder for "purists" today who are truly about the art to break into the mainstream. You jumped the gun and didn't bother to read because you just assumed I was dissing your favorite music.

Ensiferum is super big in Finland. They always top the charts there.

And how many Americans have heard of them?

I'm talking about the American music industry.
Same thing with the Brazilian power metal band Angra, they always make the top 15 at the Oricon charts in Japan.

Neither Angra and Ensiferum are mainstream in the US, but they are elsewhere. So, there exists more countries in the world besides the US. You talk about the US as if the world was the US, but it is not. Should be careful when you make claims regarding music when restricted to American music and not about music in general.
Yes, i'm talking about the American music industry - I'm not aware of the state of Japan or Scandinavia's industry.

But also keep in mind that America's industry is so huge it'll inevitably help shape those of other nations, for better or worse.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
You know, it's all subjective. Pop is garbage now, in your opinion. I grew up in the 90's, I loved all the alternative rock that came out in that era when i was a teenager, but lately, as a 40 year old man, it leaves me cold. I wonder what these people are so sad about because I'm no longer the fountain of hormonal angst that I was when it was recorded. Older music holds up more for me, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, The Who, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa...all in constant rotation on my iPod.

I work in a restaurant, and we play pop music over the radio for the diners, and frankly, I like a lot of it. It's fun, something that a lot of rock just isn't. That's why it's popular, I reckon. I'd rather listen to an upbeat tune like Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, or Meghan Trainor than some deep voiced butt-rock guy whining about something. Yes, I'm surprised by this too.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Yes, i'm talking about the American music industry - I'm not aware of the state of Japan or Scandinavia's industry.

But also keep in mind that America's industry is so huge it'll inevitably help shape those of other nations, for better or worse.
Artists influence other artists and US metal band heavily influenced bands outside of the US when metal was popular in the US. Now metal is not popular in the US anymore but it is still strong as ever in Europe and South America, so now most metal bands there are influenced by metal bands from Europe and South America. So the lack of popularity of a genre of music in the US doesn't mean the genre will lose popularity in other countries.

You know, it's all subjective. Pop is garbage now, in your opinion. I grew up in the 90's, I loved all the alternative rock that came out in that era when i was a teenager, but lately, as a 40 year old man, it leaves me cold. I wonder what these people are so sad about because I'm no longer the fountain of hormonal angst that I was when it was recorded. Older music holds up more for me, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, The Who, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa...all in constant rotation on my iPod.

I work in a restaurant, and we play pop music over the radio for the diners, and frankly, I like a lot of it. It's fun, something that a lot of rock just isn't. That's why it's popular, I reckon. I'd rather listen to an upbeat tune like Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, or Meghan Trainor than some deep voiced butt-rock guy whining about something. Yes, I'm surprised by this too.
I'm not a fan of the alternative rock myself - I prefer the more brazen style of the 60s-80s.

Plus the "grunge" scene which started the whole alternative trend was just an aesthetic - not only was the music not all that great, but plenty of songs had been written prior to that dealing with profound subject matter - all "grunge" did was invent a gloomy, whiny aesthetic.

I'm not a fan of the alternative rock myself - I prefer the more brazen style of the 60s-80s.

Plus the "grunge" scene which started the whole alternative trend was just an aesthetic - not only was the music not all that great, but plenty of songs had been written prior to that dealing with profound subject matter - all "grunge" did was invent a gloomy, whiny aesthetic.
Grunge is awful.

Happy pop?

Though one problem I have with stuff like J-Pop is that it is very homogeneous and I can't listen to it for more than 15 minutes.