The MoFo Top 100 Television Series of All-Time

Tools    

I am hoping LOST does well, I know it has some fans on this site. I loved that show. The Sopranos better be top 5 too. And when I vote for Dexter I only mean seasons 1 to 4
Three great series indeed. I had those in consideration for my list. Dexter is complicated as well, I watched it's first four seasons and loved it but it's quality declined abruptly indeed. Same thing with Babylon 5, the first four seasons are pure gold and the fifth one is pure filler.

This is a ridiculous statement. If we went by your criteria, something like Freaks and Geeks, which lasted only one season before being cancelled, could make the list while The Simpsons which has been continuously on the air since 1989 would be ineligible.

Yeah, that makes total sense.
I just don't love episodic series that don't have any literary qualities like The Simpsons. I like them though, just don't love them.

Just wonder how high Haibane Renmei is going to be.

There are two basic types of TV series:

1 - Series that have a beginning a middle and an end. Basically, like a film or novel. A series that has literary quality. Examples? Band of Brothers, Babylon 5, Breaking Bad, most anime series, etc.

2 - Series which consist of a sequence of unconnected episodes and don't require that the viewer has watched the earlier episodes in order to get into the show in the middle. Examples? The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Cowboy Bebop, House, etc.

There are series in the middle ground as well, such as Buffy, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones with are focused on season arcs (Game of Thrones is a series of novels actually).

I prefer the 1st type of the latter. In fact, I have only included 1 mostly episodic series in my top 25 list. I like the idea of a TV series that fully explores the potential of having a longer running time than a movie, in order to create a more complex world and characters.

Instead, most TV fail to explore their potential and become simple repetitive episodic stuff. The best ones are the series that play out like a novel, my favorite English series for instance, is the English series that was written in the most rigorous fashion to play out like a novel.

I have added more anime series than Brazilian or English language series mainly because of that literary factor (also because I know more anime series than English series, since they are short it's easy to watch many: I watched 200 anime series over the past 3 years). In fact, all my favorite anime series are single season long and were either adapted from a novel (or manga) or adapted into a novel.

Let the night air cool you off
Really famous Monday Night Football moment:

Howard Cosell announcing the death of John Lennon. This is how a lot of people found out about Lennon's death.

Crap, i have already sent in my list but completely forgot The Newsroom . It's a great series, the dialogue is completely unrealistic but nevertheless i's really fun and overall i'd say it's a great idea for a show. So this serves as both a reason to bump this thread, and to remind people to watch the show.

I hope people consider voting for The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. It's unlike any other talk show. There is almost no structure at all, Craig just does what he wants. Everything is spontaneous and I usually love it.

He's also done a lot of really serious stuff as well, including eulogizing his parents.

Personally, I hope there aren't any talk or sport programmes involved in the countdown. But that's just me.

I hope people consider voting for The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. It's unlike any other talk show. There is almost no structure at all, Craig just does what he wants. Everything is spontaneous and I usually love it.
I haven't kept up with the show for a while but I do hope he gets some consideration. His show is absolutely unique among late night talk shows, and he's the only one who's actually funny, except maybe Conan, who still doesn't come close. He just goes and messes around for an hour each night and 95% of the time it's hilarious. He has some actually chemistry with his guests, too, and doesn't ask those inane questions like the rest of late night hosts. He sits down and has a real conversation with them.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Did you get my list jiraffe? That's the quickest I ever sent one in, but I know my favorite tv shows aren't going to change between now and then.

Welcome to the human race...
Splitting Blackadder up into four different entries does seem a little unfair, but then again if everyone who wants to vote for the series as a whole just votes for II as a representative then it might even out just fine. I imagine most people would pick II as their favourite anyway.

They might, but they'd be wrong, as Blackadder Goes Fourth is clearly the best of the series.
No. You're wrong. The fourth in the series is excellent, but any sane person can see that Blackadder II is the best.

Can anybody recommend me shows that have surreal horror elements? I've already seen Twin Peaks.