The Walking Dead Episode Discussion

Tools    

Bouncing brick, you need to use spoiler tags dude.

What?

First off, I didn't spoil anything.

Second, the thread is called The Walking Dead episode discussion! Why would there not be spoilers in every single post?!?!?!??!?!?

In fairness, this is a thread titled episode discussion so it's assumed you've seen the episode. And as he points out it's advertised as happening.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Anyway, am I the only person who thinks this show is just alright? Don't get me wrong, I'm going to keep watching, but it's extremely standard zombie fare. It doesn't even seem to have the more typical social commentary of other zombie stories. For example, there's more satire and bite (pun!) in the opening credits of Shaun of the Dead than there is in the entirety of The Walking Dead.
You're probably not the only one, but certainly in the minority

Of course there's more 'satire and bite' in "Shaun!" It's a comedy. It's a genre spoof. "The Walking Dead" isn't a comedy, and certainly not a genre spoof. I think that what makes "The Walking Dead" so great is that it steers away from the 'typical social commentary' and instead chooses to focus its attention on the more human side of things. What do you want? Boom-sticks and vinyl-throwing death matches?

And, yeah Pyro Tramp, the females in this show are just lousy. They're either crying and weeping and terrible with a weapon or they're Lori Grimes. And, if Im being honest, I don't know why Rick was trying so hard to get back to her.
Lori Grimes is definitely lame. But I think Andrea is a good, solid character. And what's with you dudes hating on the 'lousy' females on the show?! What do you expect? Sarah Connor?! I'm sorry, but give the chicks a break, guys.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Me and my friend have a bet about what the doctor at the CDC told Rick Grimes at the very end of season 1. I was hoping that would get cleared up in the premiere of season 2 but it didn't.
I say that the doctor told Rick that his wife was pregnant.
My friend says that the doctor told him that everybody else in the world is already dead.
Just wondering if anyone has any insights into what the doctor told Rick.

Me and my friend have a bet about what the doctor at the CDC told Rick Grimes at the very end of season 1. I was hoping that would get cleared up in the premiere of season 2 but it didn't.
I say that the doctor told Rick that his wife was pregnant.
My friend says that the doctor told him that everybody else in the world is already dead.
Just wondering if anyone has any insights into what the doctor told Rick.
Agree with ya, akatemple. Jenner probably told him that Lori is pregnant. It would be even better if he told Rick that Shane is the father...! OH SNAP!

You're probably not the only one, but certainly in the minority

Of course there's more 'satire and bite' in "Shaun!" It's a comedy. It's a genre spoof. "The Walking Dead" isn't a comedy, and certainly not a genre spoof. I think that what makes "The Walking Dead" so great is that it steers away from the 'typical social commentary' and instead chooses to focus its attention on the more human side of things. What do you want? Boom-sticks and vinyl-throwing death matches?
Sorry, I should have been a tad more clear. I'm not looking for comedy, I'm looking more to films like Romero's original Dead films. Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead had a lot of relevant social commentary, themes about class and racial struggles and commentary about consumerism respectively. Read the first chunk of this essay/review, I think it's an excellent, though not greatly thorough, look at the film.

Maybe I'm not looking at The Walking Dead with a sharp enough critical eye, but the best zombie films/shows aren't just about skull crushing and blood-letting.

From Comic-Con 2010, an excerpt from an interview with Frank Darabont:

Going back to Romero, he used zombies to comment on the state of society. What do you feel the zombies and the way people react to them in “Walking Dead” has to say about who we are?

I don’t know that our show is going to say anything new about zombies, in the sense of being a sociological commentary. I feel like all that commentary’s been made, and made very, very well. What I do find fascinating about the mythos - and of how in the mainstream it is now, of how in the public consciousness it is now - there’s definitely a millennial dread occurring. I think we’re coming to grips with the fact that we’ve created something here that is unsustainable as a civilization. The sheer numbers and resources we’re consuming, there’s a real sense of great potential death about to befall us. And maybe we’re just being nervous Nellies, or maybe there’s something to it. But I really think there’s this weird death thing happening in the human consciousness at the moment, and I think that’s why zombies have become so fascinating to so many people.

In other words, it winds up being its own sociological commentary, and I don’t have to comment on it. All I have to do is tell the stories. It’s interesting to me. It’s fascinating to me.
Here's an answer to your concern about social commentary

From Comic-Con 2010, an excerpt from an interview with Frank Darabont:

Here's an answer to your concern about social commentary
Good enough for me! Interesting that he thinks we're obsessed with death as a society. I always think of zombies as souless, not lifeless.

Now if there were just more characters for me to like. As it stands Rick is the only character I really like.

As it stands Rick is the only character I really like.
Rick is the idealized man. He's a bit of a square, one those do-the-right-thing-no-matter-how-I-feel-types. He's the voice of reason. He's strong-willed and he would never give up. He's a great character, but sometimes I feel like his persona is a bit too God-like.

Shane, on the other hand, is more reminiscent of the common man. He's flawed, he's a bit of a jerk, but he's also trying his best to survive.

The way I see it, Rick Grimes is the person we all like to think we could be if the Z-Day ever happened (strong, self-sufficient, compassionate); while Shane Walsh is the person we'd more likely be upon Z-day (a selfish survivalist).

I have to say, I'm torn between the two. They represent opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of human character.

My favorite minor character is Daryl Dixon - he's a BADASS!

Daryl Dixon, hell yeah I'll take the Boondock Saint with the crossbow.
Isn't weird how Norman Reedus hasn't AGED?!?! I swear, he looks exactly the same as he did in "Boondock Saints" and "Blade 2"

What?

First off, I didn't spoil anything.

Second, the thread is called The Walking Dead episode discussion! Why would there not be spoilers in every single post?!?!?!??!?!?

Yeah, you are right - I guess this is a spoiler full thread, just felt weird to see it typed out already.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
This is not about the Walking Dead, this is just me wondering if now every channel is going to go looking for there zombie pot of gold that AMC has now. I am really hoping the Zombieland posted below never get's made, and 30 minute episodes, or rather 20 minute episodes, worst idea ever.

From Killerfilm.com

Zombieland headed to TV

Oct 18, 2011

A sequel to Zombieland has been in the works for two years now, but nothing on the film has moved forward yet. Sources are now telling Vulture that a sequel most likely won’t be happening, but fans have no need to fret as a TV show will be happening instead. Talks are underway for Fox to air a 30-minute TV show based upon Zombieland with Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick returning. The funny this is that Zombieland was originally meant to be a television show, but CBS would have edited the show severally and SyFy couldn’t afford to make the show.

'The Walking Dead' Shatters Ratings Records

It should come as no shock to hear that "The Walking Dead's" second season premiere on Sunday night (October 16) was huge. After all, the comic book adaptation arrived on AMC almost a full year ago to a massive audience of 5.3 million viewers, a number that got as high as 6 million viewers by the season one finale. With behind-the-scenes difficulties like budget cuts and Frank Darabont's departure looming, not to mention so much time passing between seasons, how on Earth could "Walking Dead" top its previous numbers?

Who knows how, but they did it: the "Walking Dead" season two premiere obliterated its own previous record with 7.3 million viewers on Sunday evening, making it the most watched drama in the history of cable television.

When combining the original broadcast and two subsequent encore presentations of the show, "The Walking Dead" drew a total of 11 million viewers in its season two opening night. Guess the apocalypse isn't so bad after all — in fact, it sounds pretty damn good for business!

Given the high quality of its season premiere and the astonishing amount of viewers who tuned in for the big party, "Walking Dead" seems to be doing just fine despite all of its reported woes. It's good to know that Rick and his friends aren't going anywhere any time soon — well, assuming they're not eaten or torn to shreds by the walkers, that is. That's a likelier scenario than cancellation, at least.
No wonder why there's talk about a TV version of "Zombieland," akatemple. Everyone wants to cash in on this!

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I understand everyone wanting to cash in on the idea, but you can get away with a lot more on AMC then on ABC, NBC, and CBS and it would have to be so tames down that it would suck. And yes I know my opinion is worth nothing, I just think that it would suck.

Wasn't the best episode, the women are doing nothing for me and i'm not sure if they'd kill Carl off to create any real tension with it. The narrative momentum that should be being set up right now, doesn't appear to be happening; it's all quite stifled with little character development. The last segment restored some hope but I wasn't overly impressed.

I'm still pretty lukewarm on this. There's a lot of padding in each episode. I'm probably spoiled by some of the other shows I've been watching, but the pace here is very laborious, and only sometimes in a way that I think benefits the feel of things.

One thing I will say that I'm kind of impressed with is the way it's branching off. You keep waiting for them to get some momentum, but something pulls them off the road and into the woods, and then something pulls them from the woods to a house, and then something pulls them from the house to another location. The "supply lines" are stretching very thin, so that I can I see it being a good relief (and a long time coming) if and when they finally get back on the road, all together (though probably a head or two lighter as a result of all this mess) again. Wouldn't shock me if a huge chunk of this season is over before that happens, if it does at all.