Allen v Farrow

Tools    

This seems like something you've said several times before (whether a joke or not), but we never see the baby.
True, but, in the book, Rosemary wasn’t too bothered by her baby’s appearance. She walks to the bassinet where the baby is lying. At first he looks like a normal baby, but when he opens his eyes she sees that he has golden-yellow eyes. When she asks what they've done to his eyes Roman says he has his father's eyes and his father is Satan. IIRC, Rosemary puts little gloves on Adrian (Andrew in her mind) so that his long nails won’t scratch him.

... but still pretend that a man that started banging his 17 year old step daughter and then marrying her a few years later to make it "ok" somehow... Couldn't in turn rape and or molest 7 year old Dillon.
So tired of correcting this statement. Woody & Mia never married. Soon-Yi was Mia’s adopted daughter. Woody was Mia’s boyfriend. They never even lived together.

You’re suggesting Woody married Soon-Yi to “make it ‘ok’ somehow”. That’s a terrible premise on which to base a marriage. They’ve been seemingly happily married for decades.

Woody was somewhat indelicate & thoughtless when he began an affair with Mia’s adopted daughter, but to suggest that a man who does this is also capable of rape & molestation of a child makes no sense at all.

The Adventure Starts Here!
They’ve been seemingly happily married for decades.
All I'll say about this is that this doesn't make how the relationship started any more acceptable. She was underage. He was *much* older. Trust me about this: the fact that they've been married for decades doesn't excuse what happened at the beginning to start that relationship. It may seem a minor point, but I know what I'm speaking about. How a relationship started can definitely speak to what someone might be capable of.

In this case, Woody's apparent fixation on much younger girls could definitely point to a problem he might have had keeping his feelings for Dylan in proper boundaries. I don't see that as a stretch of the imagination at all.

The trick is not minding
There hasn’t ever been any definitive proof that Allen had begun a consensual relationship with Previn until she was 21, which was the decision reached by a judicial investigation. This would point to the beginning as 1991.
Sure, there have been suggestions made otherwise, but there hasn’t been anything concrete as far as that is concerned.

All I'll say about this is that this doesn't make how the relationship started any more acceptable. She was underage. He was *much* older. Trust me about this: the fact that they've been married for decades doesn't excuse what happened at the beginning to start that relationship. It may seem a minor point, but I know what I'm speaking about. How a relationship started can definitely speak to what someone might be capable of.

In this case, Woody's apparent fixation on much younger girls could definitely point to a problem he might have had keeping his feelings for Dylan in proper boundaries. I don't see that as a stretch of the imagination at all.
Soon-Yi wasn’t “underage”. When Mia found the photos Soon-Yi was 21 years old.

It’s not a crime to be “much older” than one’s spouse.

Where is your proof that Woody had an “apparent fixation on much younger girls”?

There hasn’t ever been any definitive proof that Allen had begun a consensual relationship with Previn until she was 21, which was the decision reached by a judicial investigation. This would point to the beginning as 1991.
Sure, there have been suggestions made otherwise, but there hasn’t been anything concrete as far as that is concerned.
Exactly.

The trick is not minding
Don’t ge the wrong, if he is guilty, then let’s by all means crucify him. But 30 years later, there still hasn’t been enough to satisfy my judgement on that.
This reminds me of the whole Depp-Heard issue. Where there were far more to it the. what we had realized in the beginning. It’s more obvious in Depps case that he had a temper (see the video of him smashing glass cabinets around) but it was clear that he may have been manipulated into such behavior (see same video where Heard seems to keep prodding him rather then leaving him alone). Also, her leaked texts.
That doesn’t excuse his actions, of course.

Don’t ge the wrong, if he is guilty, then let’s by all means crucify him.
Let’s not. If he’s ever found guilty he’ll be sentenced by a court of law.

I'll try not to say too much as I can be inflammatory and abrasive. I stand with the Farrows.

I believe them. It is very difficult for a woman in America to prove that a man raped her. It is even more difficult for a mother to prove that her husband is molesting their children.
I'll close with this. I really hate that I live in a country that can cancel pepe le pew but still pretend that a man that started banging his 17 year old step daughter and then marrying her a few years later to make it "ok" somehow... Couldn't in turn rape and or molest 7 year old Dillon? That kind of thinking makes me wanna blow my brains out. Sorry. I probably said too much. Sigh...
I will stand with you and take the heat PW. Allen's relationshio with Soon-Yi is twisted. I don't care if she was 30 when she took the photos, I don't care that she isn't his actual daughter. He was in her life as a father figure for years when she was a child. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it ain't sickening.

I will add that the testimony that the relationship started when she was in high school was pretty compelling.

So, is everybody not going to be watching Manhattan (1979) anymore? Crazy film in that not only does Woody's self styled character fall for an underage girl, no one in the film's universe seems to care. It's almost like Woody who wrote the film was creating this fantasy world where his underage fling was actually approved by society. Anybody else ever notice that?

You know what I mean. I wasn’t being literal.
Obviously, but it’s disturbing to me how many people’s lives and careers are destroyed because of allegations - true or false - from others. To me, it’s akin to a crucifixion.

He was in her life as a father figure for years when she was a child.
Was Woody Allen a “father figure” to Dylan? Obviously he didn’t live in the same household, which doesn’t preclude his being a father figure, but is this how he was viewed by Dylan?

So, is everybody not going to be watching Manhattan (1979) anymore? Crazy film in that not only does Woody's self styled character fall for an underage girl, no one in the film's universe seems to care. It's almost like Woody who wrote the film was creating this fantasy world where his underage fling was actually approved by society. Anybody else ever notice that?
Yes, we’ve noticed this, but it’s still a great movie. One of my favorites of his.

The trick is not minding
I will stand with you and take the heat PW. Allen's relationshio with Soon-Yi is twisted. I don't care if she was 30 when she took the photos, I don't care that she isn't his actual daughter. He was in her life as a father figure for years when she was a child. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it ain't sickening.

I will add that the testimony that the relationship started when she was in high school was pretty compelling.
I will point to her interview back in, 2014 I think? Where she states that Allen had no role in her upbringing, certainly not as a father according to her. The testimony you referring to, perhaps from the doorman of their hotel, merely suggested they *may* have, without providing no anything substantial, unfortunately. As far as I can recall.

Noticed it, excused it, and have become bothered by my ability to ignore my feelings on it. Never thought I would get here, but I think I might not watch any of his movies anymore. Including Annie Hall, which is a top ten movie for me

Was Woody Allen a “father figure” to Dylan? Obviously he didn’t live in the same household, which doesn’t preclude his being a father figure, but is this how he was viewed by Dylan
Not sure what you are driving at but...hell yeah! He seemed most like a father to Dylan and Moses, to the point he adopted them.

I will point to her interview back in, 2014 I think? Where she states that Allen had no role in her upbringing, certainly not as a father according to her. The testimony you referring to, perhaps from the doorman of their hotel, merely suggested they *may* have, without providing no anything substantial, unfortunately. As far as I can recall.
If one of my kids come to your apartment regularly and the maid says she is cleaning up condoms and seen afterwards, I don't need video evidence.

The trick is not minding
If one of my kids come to your apartment regularly and the maid says she is cleaning up condoms and seen afterwards, I don't need video evidence.
Wouldn’t that be hearsay, though? I m understand your concern, but word of mouth is hardly enough for a conviction, especially when it’s all circumstantial, wouldn’t you say?
The condoms could easily be explained as having been used for another.

The trick is not minding
When I first watched this, I admit to being bothered by the age difference. On hindsight, it shouldn’t have, as she seemed more then willing to give her consent to such a relationship, despite the age difference. I need to give this movie another chance.
Before anyone argues otherwise, yes, a 17 is more then capable of deciding if she wishes to give consent to an older man.

Noticed it, excused it, and have become bothered by my ability to ignore my feelings on it. Never thought I would get here, but I think I might not watch any of his movies anymore. Including Annie Hall, which is a top ten movie for me
That's understandable...I certainly won't try to change your mind or anything like that.

It's odd that when I watched Manhattan for the first and only time how everyone in the movie was OK with Woody dating an underage Muriel Hemingway. I think I mentioned that in my old review.

Not sure what you are driving at but...hell yeah! He seemed most like a father to Dylan and Moses, to the point he adopted them.
Mia alone adopted Dylan when she was 2 weeks old.

Wouldn’t that be hearsay, though? I m understand your concern, but word of mouth is hardly enough for a conviction, especially when it’s all circumstantial, wouldn’t you say?
The condoms could easily be explained as having been used for another.
Conviction? Probably not. To be honest that's not my concern with the Allen stuff at this point. That ship has kind of sailed.