Comics/Manga

Tools    

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
Hi guys,I didn't find thread like this so here is one.Here you can talk about last comic/manga you read,you can talk about different styles,about characters,stories...If someone wants to talk how comics are better than manga or other way around,keep it normal and give arguments.Honestly I read both,they are different but both of them have their own good stuff...If someone is like "I don't read manga because I read comics"that is just moronic.So yea let's get on with things...I don't read to much European comics but one Italian comic got me in...Dylan Dog,yep there is a movie about it but let me tell you something that movie is nothing like comics!Comics are so awesome,so good stories and characters.Out of manga at the moment I'm reading Gantz,it is near the end,mystery ,drama,action,I like it,it is getting kinda out of control near the end so I hope they can hande it...And ofc I'm reading Batman ...I hope you guys will have fun in this thread and enjoy talking with other members.Everything about comics/manga,post it here.

I'm not a huge comics or manga guy, but one that I've been interested in reading for a while is this one.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth

Just from the artwork and subject matter that I've previewed, it looks like a very dark, but fun read.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

For those who read comics... Which one do you guys think is best: Dc or Marvel? This question has been around since the born of both enterprises, but defend your opinion. In mine I think Dc is better, because they give a bigger value to human life, there are not so many heroes in Dc comics that kill at will... but in marvel I see lot´s of killing e slashering cold blooded, Like the Wolverine, don´t get me wrong I love the Wolverine, but the fact of using the easy way and killing every one around isn´t very heroic. But in Dc when there is Death, the Hero enters in a giant depression, and when they kill it is because there is no other option, just like when Superman killed Zod...
For me Dc is the winner, what do you guys think??

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
All these years of being a Hollywood drone and ignorant of Japanese visual culture are over.

@Guaporense was right for all these years! Manga is life!

Ultra Gash Inferno is the ultimate manga experience!!!

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

If someone is like "I don't read manga because I read comics"that is just moronic.
They are different mediums actually.

Tamaki Saito, the famous Japanese psychiatrist and cultural critic stated that in western comics time is chronological while in manga time is kairological. That is, in manga time and space are distorted to express emotions while Western comics are closer to the linear time of literature. So manga can be understood as a visual language invented in Japan.

Also, I should add that in terms of popularity there is no comparison: in Japan in the mid 90's before the internet destroyed paper book sales, the average Japanese brought 7,000 pages of manga per year, while the average American brought 9 pages of comics per year around the same time. So comparing manga to western comics is the comparison of perhaps the biggest medium of fictional narrative in Japanese civilization* with a small niche field stigmatized in Western civilization.

*In the 90's for each movie ticket sold in Japan about 14 manga books were sold and for each novel sold, about 8 manga books were sold.

I've never read too much comics (always preferred tv, movies and books) but there are few I think I could recommend.

First is Druuna stories by Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri. Post-apocalyptic sci-fi with lots of sex. I only have first three albums as the rest weren't translated into Finnish back in the day and I'm under impression that most or all English versions are censored.

Second is Finnish epic called Eläkeläinen muistelee (Memoirs of a Retiree) by Kalervo Palsa. I don't think it's been translated at all. Palsa was a finnish artist and according to him his comics were made during a time when he "painted, jerked off and contemplated suicide so that's what they're like." There's murder, sadism, homosexuality and necrophilia with a healthy dose of really black humor.

Third is manga called Lone Wolf and Cub. It's really long and the quality is not always consistent but at its best it's really beautiful and brutal at the same time. It's a about a betrayed imperial executioner and his long road for vengeance during the Samurai era Japan. The six movies made in the 70's are also great.

I think Dc is better, because they give a bigger value to human life, there are not so many heroes in Dc comics that kill at will... but in marvel I see lot´s of killing e slashering cold blooded, Like the Wolverine, don´t get me wrong I love the Wolverine, but the fact of using the easy way and killing every one around isn´t very heroic.
I grew up with 70's and 80's action movies so in my opinion heroism isn't defined by whether s/he kills or not. Batman often makes no sense at all - why is everyone afraid of him when the worst he ever does is giving a beating? Most of these non-killing heroes are only making things worse by merely provoking the bad guys. I much prefer Punisher, Hit-Girl or Rorschach and their methods that actually solve the issue.

Batman often makes no sense at all - why is everyone afraid of him when the worst he ever does is giving a beating?
Depending on who writes him, some pretty terrible things.

“I was cured, all right!”

I just read the original DevilMan, interesting reading. Gone and outdated, the manga by the master Go Nagai can be compared to Masami Kurumada's Saint Seiya. Outdated is not something that is always bad. The manga travels between very interesting and totally absurd conversations. I recommend.
★★★★

I just read the original DevilMan, interesting reading. Gone and outdated, the manga by the master Go Nagai can be compared to Masami Kurumada's Saint Seiya. Outdated is not something that is always bad. The manga travels between very interesting and totally absurd conversations. I recommend.
★★★★
After watching the TV version I also got curious about it.

Originally Posted by pahak
Third is manga called Lone Wolf and Cub. It's really long and the quality is not always consistent but at its best it's really beautiful and brutal at the same time. It's a about a betrayed imperial executioner and his long road for vengeance during the Samurai era Japan. The six movies made in the 70's are also great.
I really loved the manga. I never watched the movies, as I felt that after reading the manga I had experienced it all. The manga is among my top 10 manga ever.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If you guys want an original, creative and extremely weird series to get into, I suggest Brian K. Vaughn's SAGA.

It's about two people from a warring species who fall in love and have a child. The child is considered an abomination from both sides and they go on an intergalactic run from people from both sides. When word gets out across distant planets, they become enemy #1.

Narrated by the child, this series dives deep into current social issues while maintaining a high level of emotion, excitement and pure awkwardness. There are panels in this book that had me laughing my ass off, then cringing with awkwardness.

So many characters to fall in love with. A teenage ghost? A prince of robots with TV heads? Assassins with animal sidekicks?

The series won't be for everyone. There are some pretty adult stuff happening and some artwork that might make people cringe. But this series is one of the best I've read and the unique artwork keeps every page interesting. I literally have no idea what the next page will hold when I turn it and I have no idea where the story will go when I read it.

Suspect's Reviews

Been reading Japanese language comics in the past few months. I think that my Japanese fluency has improved dramatically thanks to that (although I am far from fluent now I can read much faster than 5 months ago). The one that I have been reading the most (I already read 15 volumes of it, or 3,000 pages in Japanese) is Claymore:

It's about women demon warriors that are used as human test experiments for weapons development (in this case, using demon blood to create stronger warriors) by a government of a superpower engaged in a great war in a medieval fantasy setting. The excuse the writer uses for them to be women is that men tend to be less stable after receiving demon blood and tend to quickly mutate into monstrosities.

Lots of fun. I had watched the TV version before reading this but the manga is much deeper. The TV version only adapted the first 1/3 of the manga and lacks a lot of the detail.

My friend mentioned it before about the manga artwork(claymore) compare to the animated version which pretty admitted kinda turned crappy